Sign in to follow this  
duffer

Grinding Between 3rd+4th

At high revs, I have to wait slightly when changing from 3rd to 4th otherwise it grinds. Is this the syncro going? Is it really expensive to fix?

change the gearbox oil for some Redline stuff... that'll help (if not cure) it... 8)

I'm with Henny on this one and would change the gearbox oil first especially if its a high miler

i`ve heard a few stories about gearbox`s letting go after an oil change-due to them being USED to their old oil!

i`ve always put it off on mine cos of this (mine on 144k)

any experience or is it just bollards???

never heard of that before, my g60 had a crap change when I first got it, changed the oil to redline MT90 and it is very sweet now

benji16v, my box had almost 250K miles on it when I had the Quaife and different ratios put into it... I'd changed the oil not long after I got it the car and it improved the change no end... Vince mentioned that there wasn't really a lot of wear on the inside of the original box and was quite suprised when I told him the milage! 8)

Putting MT90 into the box shouldn't make anything worse and could make things a whole lot better... :)

Yeah agreed on MT90....very good oil.

I think the whole not changing the oil thing is a legacy of VW claiming their boxes are sealed for life, which is not very realistic. You only have to have an output shaft or flange seal pop and there goes your original oil, so you *have* to refill it.

The synchro cones couldn't care less what oil they've got, within reason. Just so long as it's free of dirt and the right viscosity, there's nothing to worry about.