Sign in to follow this  
duffer

Best suspension?

Got a 2L 16v and need new suspension. Thought i'd splash out and get a kit. Whats the best kit to get? Want a healthy drop, but i'm quite fond of my teeth, so something with a decent ride quality please. I'm not looking to break the bank too much either.

Koni top adjustables and H&R's get good ratings on here and cost somewhere in the region of £500 I think.

The FK Konigsport coilovers also get a good review if you don't want to spend quite as much

I've got H&Rs an Koni top adjustables, but they don't drop the car by much....about 35mm. If I could start again, I'd save a little more money and get coilovers

But....

It does handle REALLY well, and you CAN keep your teeth! :D

I take it that the budget FK's (AK coilover) aren't upto much then? These are £359, Highsport £475, Konig £635

Does the extra money really pay off? Its not a track car or anything. Running 205/40/17's will this make a difference?

Ah ok, I think the Koni/H&R combo must be more like £800, as I'm sure it costs more than the Konigsport.

The FK AK's are apparently somewhat teeth jarring, but will give you a good drop.

Suspension seems to be very much a case of you get what you pay for. If you want to keep your teeth, then it's worth spending the extra on a decent setup.

The Konigsports are the ones to go for. You can get them for less than £600 if you shop around. GB?

The standard Koni/H&R McPherson setup is around £500 as you say Dom. Springs are £150, front dampers £95ish each and the rears are £85ish each....

K

The Konigsports are the ones to go for. You can get them for less than £600 if you shop around. GB?

The standard Koni/H&R McPherson setup is around £500 as you say Dom. Springs are £150, front dampers £95ish each and the rears are £85ish each....

K

Ahh interesting. So you reckon the Konigsports are better than the Koni/H&R combo for ride and handling? Or are they just better than the AKs?

Had the Konigsports + poly bushes on my last valver, and while the handling was astonishing, the ride was horrible. On a day to day basis, I didn't particularly enjoy driving it- just too unforgiving :(

Ahh interesting. So you reckon the Konigsports are better than the Koni/H&R combo for ride and handling? Or are they just better than the AKs?

Well, on Tom's VR6 I quite like the ride and handling. I wouldn't say it's better than the Koni/H&R setup as it's way stiffer, but I was surprised by how good the Konigs are though (for coilovers at least), given how utterly sh1te the roads are on Isle of Man.

Dunno about the AKs, never tried them.

I've already got Eibach springs on the car, another alternative is to just get uprated dampers all round. Would the adjustable Koni's and these be a good combo. Just dont know if i can afford £600 plus fitting.

Think thats the desicion then. Is there only one type of koni top adjustables?

this is some info I got when buying my koni's:

all prices from Jondel Motorsport

----------------------------------------

all cars rear 80-2587SPD2 57.50 each including the VAT

these items suitable for lowered springs and are damping adjustable and ride height adjustable OFF the car

all cars rear 8041-1108Sport 75.95 incl VAT

these are fully adjustable and top adjustable on the car, they are gas pressurised and also suitable for low springs

Fronts

--------

VR6 for lowered springs 8710-1302SP20 top damping adjustable (£ cant read my writing I'd imagine similar to 16v/G60 price though IRO 120 quid)

VR6(and late 2.0 cars chassis no 50-S-000 052 onwards) for standard ride height 8741-1259Sport top damping adjustable and gas £104.95 incl VAT

16v/G60 for lowered springs 8641-1198Sport top damping adjustable and gas: £120.50 incl VAT insert only: £91

-------

I think there's at least one part for rear dampers at standard ride height too.

David.

I had koni/eibach top adjustable set up on mine, with poly bushes all round, eibach arb-s and strut braces. Handling was awesome even on softest setting due to arb-s controling the roll but only down side was the ride hight, hardly any lower than saggy standard set up :roll:

It's quite deceiving with Eibachs or H&Rs in terms of the ride height. The car does drop but the arch gap doesn't reduce an awful lot.