Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Respray

excuse the naiviety, but what sort of preparation is involved in a professional respray...I mean do they strip the old paint off first or just sand down and spray over? Does this add to the weight of the vehicle?

excuse the naiviety, but what sort of preparation is involved in a professional respray...I mean do they strip the old paint off first or just sand down and spray over? Does this add to the weight of the vehicle?

you don't need to go down completely to bare metal but its pretty close with loads showing. Think there pics of my C stripped to a rolling shell in the members area. Got loads of pics of the process but can't post them until after the PVW feature. Should imagine it adds weight depending on the quality of the job. Including primer, colour and lacquer theres either 9 or 10 coats of paint on my C.

Does this add to the weight of the vehicle?

You're going to be adding way less than 10 litres of liquid paint to the car for a spray over job, a large chunk of which will evaporate off as it's solvent... so guess at adding in 2x 3 litre bottles of coke to the total weight of your car and you'll realise just how little difference that'll make to a road car... ;) 8)

Buggers didn't finish it today! Not going to get my raddo back till saturday now! What am I going to do!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

maybe it was all finished then, OOPS the "test driver" clipped a fence . . then an "anvil" market stand . . .

now they are rushing round like mad with a cement mixer full of filler . . . . . :D

Buggers didn't finish it today! Not going to get my raddo back till saturday now! What am I going to do!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

maybe it was all finished then, OOPS the "test driver" clipped a fence . . then an "anvil" market stand . . .

now they are rushing round like mad with a cement mixer full of filler . . . . . :D

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:D got her back! ooo she likes she nice! how long should i alow before polishing etc?

What do you think I should expect to pay to just have a door re-sprayed (it's going all pimply but doesn't look rusty)? Also is it possible to repair rear bumpers? The previous owner claimed a shopping trolley went into the back of it but the bumper is slightly distorted (not flat on the top where it was hit) so unless it was a shopping trolley with youths inside it playing silly bu**ers then it must have been something bit heavier than that!

Would think your door should be around £100-150 to be sprayed.

Just had bonnet, rear qtr panel and number plate surround done for £300.

:D got her back! ooo she likes she nice! how long should i alow before polishing etc?

If its been baked in an oven you can polish it straight away

ive had prices for a full met respray at £700 £800 and £1100

the first to seem to be a very good body shop oven n all

the 1100 is one that i know is a great place ive seen old rolls coming out of there looking as new perfect!!! the type the queen has!!!

END OF THE DAY if they can spray a car and charge for it then they should do a perfect job or you shouldnt pay??? shame thats not always the case!!!!

£ 2000 IS MUCH TO HIGH I THINK HALF THAT IS MORE REAL!!!

one place even said 500 if i help bits like lights ect thats just for the paint job but id rather leave all the BLAME to the body shop!!!

ive had prices for a full met respray at £700 £800 and £1100

the first to seem to be a very good body shop oven n all

the 1100 is one that i know is a great place ive seen old rolls coming out of there looking as new perfect!!! the type the queen has!!!

END OF THE DAY if they can spray a car and charge for it then they should do a perfect job or you shouldnt pay??? shame thats not always the case!!!!

£ 2000 IS MUCH TO HIGH I THINK HALF THAT IS MORE REAL!!!

one place even said 500 if i help bits like lights ect thats just for the paint job but id rather leave all the BLAME to the body shop!!!

Mate, just cause they have an oven doesn't make them any good. Your paying for prep, on a £1000 you get next to none. You do see some nice lookin' cheap jobs but they don't last. They start peeling, fading seen it sooo many time in my 5 years of being on the show scene. With bodywork you get what you pay for,

I've been watching this thread with open eyes and opinions

Just to add in my comments,

The paint on my car is good but in some places its appauling, i've had a problem since all the work been done . Example: say half the bonnet being smooth and the other being rough.

I payed a fair bit for mine, and al i can say is i'm dissapointed to say the least as it just over a yr now since i had my respray & going over it, some panels need complete stripping down and re doing IMO.

I feel like i've been let down because i was willing to pay the cash and after just a yr i gotta sort the bodywork out.

Thinking of respraying my LAV9 G60 before it comes to australia with me, or maybe having it done when its there in case of shipping damage

Anyone know of someone good and cheap within a reasonable distance from ipswich, suffolk to take my car to??

I`d leave it till you get out here.

Car could get marked/scratched on it`s way.

You could always bring the paint with you.

Did yours get damaged on the boat Jay ??

There were a few scratches on the car but they ware caused by the monkey`s that took the car out of the container. :(

They won`t let you touch the car until it has been inspected by quarantine and it also needs to be spotless so it will need steam cleaning before it`s sent.

Will yours be in a container or on a roll on roll off ferry?

What part of oz are you going to?

Jay

Mine is going in a shared container to Sydney. Bit annoyed about the steam cleaning thing, keep hearing its not good for the electrics etc.

Did they actually deliver your car to your house ?? Sounds like thats what they do ?

Mine is going in a shared container to Sydney. Bit annoyed about the steam cleaning thing, keep hearing its not good for the electrics etc.

Did they actually deliver your car to your house ?? Sounds like thats what they do ?

Sydney`s a nice place to go.You should enjoy it there.

I picked up the car from the quarantine depot but it could have been delivered for a price.

It`s usually the wheel arch`s and the area`s that collect mud and dirt that get the most stick from the steam cleaners. It should be fine.

Jay

Thinking of respraying my LAV9 G60 before it comes to australia with me, or maybe having it done when its there in case of shipping damage

Anyone know of someone good and cheap within a reasonable distance from ipswich, suffolk to take my car to??

I've just come back from living in Australia. No Corrado's there, in fact they've never even heard of them!

However! Bodywork is pretty cheap in Oz and the nice warm/dry weather means you can get a decent job done anytime of year. Get it done there mate!

Also, TOTALLY fill the car with as much stuff as possible! The airmail cost is HUGE! Cost me £200 to bring a bike plus a few other things back...

Even if you cant fill the car, put in stuff you'll miss like Orange Fanta and decent chocolate! (they've got heinz tomato sauce now though!).