Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Over-revving on gear change (and now tighten throttle cable)

No need to on the cable itself mate as they are teflon lined. They wear through the lining at the kink over time, hence sticking after about 10 years!

A bit of grease on the throttle linkages can't hurt though....

I was just thinking about where I'd written that how to Rack... Cheers for posting that up while I was away! 8)

Well my level of hands on ability is very poor.. though I managed to change out the heater fan motor without too much trouble so must be able to do this :)

Ok took me a few days but headed over to Listers to order the throttle cable.. i'm hoping they've ordered me the right one. Came to around £23 with the VAT but a kind request for a discount saw that dropped to just over £20 :)

Good man, they didn't comment on my recent VERY frequent (and expensive) visits? ;-) I think my company needs to relocate, it's not a good thing being almost next door to a VW dealer and owning 3 Karmann coupes :lol:

At least I didn't get any further queries like whether I'd be interested in buying something a bit newer (carwise), as the younger chappie fully appreciates (and is always baffled at) my owning 3 Karmann coupes :-)

Tempest

I've found here is you go in with the part number on a scrappy bit of paper covered in oil, and dressed like a grease monkey you look like your in the trade, instant 10-20% discount

Cable picked up at lunch time.. appears to be the correct one with the hook on the end for the accelerator pedal.

If there is any light tonight when I get home, will have a go at fitting it as it looks straightforward enough! :)

And now fitted. A typical Corrado knuckle-grazing and cut creating experience, but its done now so thats that.

Have to see if I get the overrevving malarky tomorrow or not.. seemed ok on a quick drive round the block though :)

Hm.. well throttle cable is fine, but is there any way to improve the tightness of the pedal? Before I changed the cable it was a bit stiff (and obviously starting to stick) but now despite moving the little clip along on the throttle cable to make the throttle open and close to the right positions, i'm left with an accelerator pedal that seems limp for the first half inch or so of travel (which is really annoying) and a little futher down into the footwell than I remeber it..

Are there any other places to adjust / tighten it up?

did you change the rubber gromet inside the pedal connection? (the bit wot the cable connects to on the pedal end ;) )

That gromet makes one hell of a difference...

Also, you may find that the pedal has bent slightly...

Just so I know I got it right, I have the hook looped through the gromet as shown in my diagram below (yes, quality I know). I never changed the gromet as I didnt think I had to mate :(

I'm pretty sure when I removed the cable it was hooked through a little different but when replacing it I couldnt see how it would hook on any other way quite honestly!

looks right to me... Get a new grommet in there (they're pence from VW) and see if it improves things any...

Are you going to the next MK meet? If it's still like it is then, I'll have a look to see what's going on if you like... 8)

Will try and pop up the Stealers tomorrow morning.. does the old grommet just push out - or do I have to faff around removing the accelerator pedal or anything to do it?

Ordered at the vast expense of 65p... "I'll pay for that one in cash my good man.." - should be getting it Tuesday.

Didnt ask for a CCGB discount though :)

I still ask for Club GTI discounts on anything I buy, be it 65p or £2,000! ;) Mainly just to be consistant... ;) :lol:

lol!

Well Listers actually just called me (service! oh my god!) and told me the part has come in so I might go collect it at lunch time and fit it tonight. Hope its worth the outlandish cost.. lol :)

I'll pay for that one in cash my good man.."

Ah, you clearly aren't a regular then (nearly ready to go across again to order more bits, as they're right next door to where I work, deadly, I tell you), as I usually pay once the goods have arrived :lol:

Hope that cures your pedal problem.

Tempest

That was one tired old grommet!

Feels better with the new one, but by heck it was a serious fiddle trying to get the bloody new one in!

I realise this is an excessively long thread for what is really a 30 minute job.. but.. might come in handy for someone with the same problem as me one day :)

:lol: Told ya that grommet just pushes out... you just need to not give in with it! ;) :twisted: :lol:

Is it as you hoped now?

Ahah!

This sounds just like what my valver is doing.

That classic little 500rpm increase when you change.

I also have a special other example:

Should i be proper flooring it in 3rd whilst overtaking a vehicle on an a road, when i change into 4th when im next to em, the pesky engine goes to the red line and i think ive broken the engine. Not pleasing.

I even tried practising my gear changes since i was considering whether i'd just got lazy!

Dont suppose you have the part numbers?

And where is the grommet? Engine bay or interior?

And does this cable go from the accelerator (i.e. inside cabin) to the throttle thing on top of the head in the engine bay?