Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Dealer doesn't have yellow temp sensor for VR6...

Hi all,

I've decided to tackle my overheating problem by replacing the thermostat, all the housing parts (they're bound to be brittle), the radiator temp switch and the two remaining temp sensors.

I tested the fan and the auxiliary water pump and they're both working. I replaced the main water pump last year myself too.

I replaced the blue one a while back and got far better running and fueling. Now I'm replacing the yellow one and the black one.

However, in the local dealer, their ETKA only lists a green/black 4 pin sensor instead of my yellow one. ALso, where my black one is, they have a blue/black one listed.

They could not find any yellow sensor or black only sensor, so ordered these different coloured ones.

Do you think these are the wrong sensors I've been given?

Thanks

Alan

The position of the sensors isn't important but the pins for each sensor are. I believe the black one is for the air con, so if you've not got it, don't worry about that one.

I can't believe they would have made the yellow one obsolete or replaced it with one with more pins than the previous one.

Some dealers don't know the parts system very well. If it's all still in bits, get them to check the part number of your yellow one on the system.

Alternatively, the Ford Galaxy uses the same engine (albeit 2.8) so you could try them instead?

Ask coxy about this. he ordere a new one and it came black! so asking for "a yellow one" might mean you'll never get one. tack down the part number and see if it's been superceded with a later part.

I just ordered a yellow one as well and it arrived black!, I yes just looking for the receipt but can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

As to the sensors I was under the belief that the Yellow(now pos black 4 pin) is for Temp Gauge, Blue for ECU, and black for Air-con cars only.

I have all 3 fitted but air con has never been fitted to the car, is this normal?

I have all 3 fitted but air con has never been fitted to the car, is this normal?

Yup, quite a few have them. Mine has it and I have no air con.

T.

I ordered a yellow one last year and a black one turned up, was identical apart fromn the colour and worked perfectly so you're probably ok this time. I remember phoning a different vw dealer and double checking it was ok because I've virtually no faith in vw parts people.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't actually dismantled my old housing yet and I've just ordered the parts yesterday and will get them in a few days.

He definately ordered the correct ones as per their position. I saw the ETKA screen and the items he listed.

Also, I too have the black sensor (far right) fitted but don't have air con.

I was under the impression that the black one (far right) was the temp sensor, the blue one (middle) was for the engine management (fuelling etc.) and the yellow one (far left) was for the auxiliary pump and fan, even though the fan has its own sensor on the radiator. But U have heard conflicting reports too. Hence, I'm replacing them all!!!

I replaced the blue one a while back and this solved my hesitation problems (along with the camshaft position sensor which mostly fixed this problem).

Judging from everyone's replies, I probably don't have anything to worry about. I'll check the part numbers when I do the job.

It's expensive though. All the parts cost £100 in total. I'm not sure if I could have got any of these parts cheaper elsewhere. I got the thermostat and the blue sensor from GSF.

Hopefully all this solves my temperature problems before it gets too serious.

Alan

the yellow one is actually 2 sensors in one. one for the clocks, one for the fan controller and run on pump (I think). definitely one for the clocks, as I have had to refit my yellow on in the 24v to get the 12v clocks working as the 24v one wasn't compatiable.

Well, I collected all the parts on Saturday and sure enough the sensors are not the same colour but they look the same pin-wise (is that a word?).

I'm going to leave the job until the Christmas holidays I think because the overheating's not dangerous yet and I'm only using the car at weekends now.

I noticed the other day that I didn't get the overheating problem but it did come back later. This sounds to me like a sticking thermostat. I've not done the bottom hose test yet though.

I think it defintely pays to keep an eye on the temps. I'm a bit paranoid about it and probably check too often, but I've had the car two years now and the temperatures were always very consistent and so I noticed this change in behaviour straight away.

Hopefully all these bits sorts the problem out.

Just doing the same thing.......

Part numbers are

025 906 041A for the blue one, engine management.

357 919 369F for the black one with green paint stripe (this may have come off for age)

Now I'm stuck on the yellow one, as the version of etka lists a blue and white 4 pin sensor pt no 701 919 369D.

Could anyone confirm pt no's for me?