Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Use of foglights

Front foglights were only ever supposed to be used to direct light down at the gutter/centre line, so you can pick out these important parts of the road whilst trying to drive in bad conditions. Anyone caught using foglights at any other time should get a ticket!!

That's a nice bit of fog you got there... :)

It's grim up north, innit! ;)

Anyone caught using foglights at any other time should get a ticket!!

& they do - my m8 got done for using his front foglights around 6 months ago.. :shock:

About a week ago,I had driven up the A9 from Inverness and was driving at night in fairly murky weather with my front driving (fogs) lights on.

Just as I pulled up outside my house,on came the blue lights.The copper had seen me going past with my foglights on and it would be an automatic fine of £30.

Never knew that it was an on the spot fine for driving with front fogs on!

I apologised and told him about the weather at the time and had forgotten to switch them off(I had been on a ferry for an hour and a half as well) and got let off. :)

I think VW built-in a safety system anyway. If you use the front fogs too long, the glass cracks, so you get fined £140 a pair for replacements..

drmat - cheeky as ever, :wink: said

That's a nice bit of fog you got there...

It's grim up north, innit!

Fog as thick as that is rare where I live and many parts of Scotland - it's far more common in England. That's why I had the camera out!

Agree, we have more of the other weather nasties to contend with!

we have more of the other weather nasties to contend with!

Puggit has a charmed life - not a scratch on it.

I think VW built-in a safety system anyway. If you use the front fogs too long, the glass cracks, so you get fined £140 a pair for replacements..
:lol: :lol:

Er.. dunno if yours his hooked up different to everyone elses but its front fogs that come on first, and then the rear fogs with the second click of the switch. And thats not just Corrado's.. my Paxo did that as well..

Nope. If you have the fronts on, you also have the Rears on. But, the rears can be on by themselves.

(This may just apply to late spec VR's)

Still the wrong way round mate!! the first click of the switch puts the fronts only on and second click puts both fronts and rears on together!!! :)

mine's the same as corrastorms, you can have just the rears on or the front and rears together, two separate switches, not one switch with variable positions

Er, is it possible that on some cars the front lights are wired as "spots" rather than fogs? 'cos mine are definately wired so I can have fronts on by themselves, but the use of the rears requires me to have the fronts on aswell.... :?

mine's the same as corrastorms, you can have just the rears on or the front and rears together, two separate switches, not one switch with variable positions

Still wrong , One switch for just Fronts, or second switch for fronts and rears.

There is no way on a standard vr to put rear fogs on without the fronts, unless of coarse you disconnect them.

Just to clarify, guys (cars with a single switch) :-

1st position switches on the FRONT foglights

2nd position then switches the REAR ones on too

This is the way that they were wired at the factory & also the same way that is used by most manufacturers. :wink:

Just to clarify, guys (cars with a single switch) :-

1st position switches on the FRONT foglights

2nd position then switches the REAR ones on too

This is the way that they were wired at the factory & also the same way that is used by most manufacturers. :wink:

Yep thats how our old boat is setup 8)

don't forget that besides foggy weather, you're also allowed to use your fog lights when spinning doughnuts in empty car parks at night

:wink:

Chubbz:

Scotch mist - "A combination of thick mist and drizzle. Common in hilly districts....in the uplands of Devon-Cornwall...same phenomenon....known as mizzle......"

Fog is visibility less than 1000 metres due to water droplets.

"Dense" fog is vis less than 40 metres

"Thick" fog 40-199 metres

mist - 1000 metres or more with relative humidity of more than 95%.