Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

Remote start, is there a kit that does this?

My mates skyline and mitsi L200 has clifford alarms on both and he said to enable remote start you have to switch the alarm on whilst you are still in the car with the engine running and the car stationary, hand brake on, out of gear.

then take the key out ond lock the car as normal, then it will be prep`d for remote start, otherwise it`ll just act as a `normal` alarm!

Guy's Storm has had remote start for like 3 years! I'm amazed there's anyone out there who hasn't seen him demonstrate it :)

I've been encouraging him this year to try and put a "clapper" into the remote start circuit so you can start the car by clapping twice nearby but he hasn't done it yet. :wink:

Remote start will only work if you enable it as you get out of the car (so the engine keeps running as you get out, remove keys, etc), then when you blip the alarm, it shuts off the engine and locks the door - so it would have to be in Neutral.

It's great for when i'm running a little late, as it means the oil's up to temp as soon as i jump in the car so i can scream off into the sunrise without fear of damaging my engine.

Not necessarily - engines aren't developed to get up to temperature whilst at a stand-still, they are supposed to warm up by being used. Inefficient oil circulation, etc when cold and just running at idle. Yes, they warm up, buts its not 'good' for the engine.

As you say - very handy though ;)

That's what happens when you take ages to reply and talk on MSN ;) :oops:

The Range Rover has this as an option-u programee it to start itself in the morning so its nice and toasty for you.So surely theres insurance companies that dont have a prob with it.

Car also come from the factory with cruise controls, but if you retro-fit one you invalidate your insurance.

Point is, your remote-start thing completely defeats the purpose of having CAT1/CAT2 immobilisers...

I'd it's bad to have your car ticking over from cold anyway. Much better for the car to get in it and drive it off. Not much more than a 'pub feature' in my opinion. It's certainly not environmently friendly and wouldn't do your MPG figures any good.

I also heard that it would invalidate the cat 1 status of an alarm. Having never fitted one though I can't be 100%.

Gavin

Definately. I would cringe at the thought of starting a car up and leaving it too idle from cold, its best to get the engine and oil up to temperature quickly, obviously without working it too hard though.]

bl0dy insurance is a pain in the ar5e. I've got a Clifford AvantGaurd G5 in mine, which is arguably the best alarm money can buy, yet it's not CAT approved becasue it has remote strat, even though it's a seperate unit which I haven't fitted yet.

tw4ts.

I told em it was a concept 50x instead. hopefully with the g5 and a tracker and a few other tricks it won't be going anywhere so I shouldn't ever have to claim for a theft. (touch wood)

As a general query, how does the intellistart know when to shut off the starter motor?

The answer to that question kev is that it only pulses the starter motor for a split second if the car doesn't catch it pulses again and if it dont catch after the third time I think it resets and you have to push the button on the fob again!!

Starting at 4:30am in the morning my intellistart was a godsend especially on icy mornings as the heater comes on ( only if its set to on when you last got out of the car ) defrosts the windscreen and the rest of the windows with the heat generated so you can literally just get in the car and give it some stick!

Mine pop's down the shop's , fill's up with pecky , pick the misses up from work and flushes the chain !!! :wink: