Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Supercharged VR's

bah i am not having that.

ok so are you telling me that your engine is giving out 182ft lb of torque for every mile of its life? no. in the same respect the charged engine wont be putting out its uprated figures constantly either.

I have not heard a single case of charged vr blowing up (you can prove me wrong here) so I reckon what you are saying is theory based, and I prefer the practise side of life :wink:

Ok, and how many supercharged VR6s have you run, and how long for? When you're telling me I don't know what I'm talking about (ok, I don't), please tell us your reasoning at least!

And to answer your question, of course my engine isn't giving out 182lbft torque every second of every mile for it's entire lifetime. But it *still* wears out. Make that 260lbft peak and it's sure to wear out quicker. If you down-tuned the engine, I'm sure it would last longer ... why not the opposite?

Be interesting to hear from some folks who HAVE run charged VR6s for a number of years. I'll bet there's at least a couple of blown head gasket stories kicking about.

Are you guys speaking from experience? I don't know where this early engine demise info is coming from. My friend also had this kit on his mk3 VR...its had 175k on the clock...and he beat on the car...stock clutch and all. If you drive the car normally...the engine will last...if you abuse the car...then well, it won't. Its all on how you drive the car.

On a stage 1 VF kit you adding around 60bhp...hardly enough to reduce the life of the engine. If your adding a turbo kit that increases the output by 150 plus, then you may have some added wear. The VR6 bottom end can handle well over 550 to the wheels...and that's been proven over and over by the guys over here.

Also a SC kit dosen't shock the engine like a turbo kit when the boost kicks in.

Right, and how long would that same engine have lasted, driven in the same manner, without the supercharger? Warrant you it would have lasted at least as long... ;)

All I'm saying is there's no science behind any of these isolated observations! :)

I didn't say the engine would blow a piston in 6 months, did I? I just said it's stupid to think that you won't wear things MORE by exposing the components to even greater pressures than they were designed for. Sure it'll "last" but it's all a compromise. The more power an engine puts out, the less it's lifetime will be. Simple fact. Ask the 20vt boys with 300 bhp how long they expect the engine to last.

err I think stealth racing had a supercharged vr6 golf highline that had blown its engine - Dont think AMD would supercharge a vr6

err I think stealth racing had a supercharged vr6 golf highline that had blown its engine - Dont think AMD would supercharge a vr6

First you have to find out why the motor blew. There could be a million factors to cause an engine to blow. AMD not wanting to install a charger means nothing.

There are plenty of people here in Caifornia Running 300+ hp on their daily driven 1.8t's. Even more on the east coast.

There are ways to make reilable power...it just depends on who the tuner is and how responsible the driver is.

I'm talking first hand experience...not just something I heard. :thumbleft:

Ask the 20vt boys with 300 bhp how long they expect the engine to last.

If it was built using the 'expertise' commonly found around here (beavis & tt apart) - I'd guess about 30 secs.

If it's done by someone who can find his own arse without the use of two hands and a map, it'll last 100K+.

Don't stop though, you guys keep me :lol:

My VR was supercharger over 5 years ago it was one of the first corrados the NS Racing did, and the engine and charger are still going strong with no problems.

Apart from engine mounts and cv joints. 120K miles, and still doesnt need the cam chains doing!

:roll: You just know its going to pop now I have said that!

I agree it does put more stress on the engine and therefore it will wear faster, but that is only wen you are using the extra power, so I dont think it is as extreme as the Doc is making out, I mean how many mile do you do holding it over stock +190 bhp. Its a lot down to how the engine has been treated before it was charged!

I never said it was extreme, just that some people seem to think there is NO tradeoff here at all, and won't admit that it's inevitable that there's some loss of lifetime...

Yes there is some loss of life, but this is dependant on previous engine life and driving style! So I dont think you could work it out. Personally it dont worry me and I would say for the average you would only loose a few percent!

Yes there is some loss of life, but this is dependant on previous engine life and driving style! So I dont think you could work it out. Personally it dont worry me and I would say for the average you would only loose a few percent!

Well said.

Doc...also you have to remember is that, your only making the power under boost...not when your driving normally. Thats why I said it depends on the driver. There are people that beat on their cars no matter what. When city driving...I usually don't rev over 3k. :-P

I'll "get on it" from time to time...but mostly I just drive normal.

A 60bhp VF1 kit would barely introduce any additional wear at all!

Thank God Dr Mat wasn't on the payroll at VW otherwise the 1.8T engine would never have come to fruition. He'd be standing there in his labcoat twiddling his pony tail saying "Oooh at 80,000 miles, wear on the big end caps would be 3% greater than the N/A engine with the same mileage..scoff, scoff..."

Two words oh learned Doctor.....Uprated parts :)

And until you actually modify an engine yourself, your contributions will never be considered anything but pessemistic and unsubstantiated ranting :wink:

I think the point, dear doctor is that you laboured your point that there would be damage to the engine over and over, each time lessening your argument.

People have already accepted that there will be some wear, but in practice it's minimal and nothing to worry about.

Although you've been reading the forum and absorbing content, you haven't actually got any experience at all with a 'charged VR. Personally, I'd be more inclined to listen to what the guys who are actually running them have to say, as perhaps, they know a little more about it than you do?

Of course, if you do want to go and repeat your point again, then feel free, it's giving everyone else a giggle :lol: