Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

4WD (syncro) conversion (UPDATE: 20/02/05)

Right, I'm going to be 4WDing my corrado shortly with a vr6 syncro system.

Shall I put the pics and info in a dedicated thread like this, or should I just add the pics into my members gallery?

Last time I started a new gallery for another section of my car I got flamed for it and told it should all be put into one, but I think it's worthy of a topic all on it's own don't you?

Let me know before I start posting and upsetting anyone.

If it's all positives for me to keep this thread open then I'll asl the mods to clear it all out when I have some pics to post up.

cheers

OK mods, feel free to clear out all these replies to keep the thread clean and tidy. *Mod edit - thread tidied as requested - Henny*

Right, off we go.

First of all, take a look in your boot. this is the panel you will be removing.

76819326.jpg

And replacing with this (amongst a few other bits which I'll show you later). I was lucky enough to buy this one, the very last one available in the UK brand new from Skipton VW for about £80. It is now discontinued. to get one you'd have to buy a Golf or Jetta syncro (same panel) or (God forbid) a Rallye and cut the shell up.

76819310.jpg

76819293.jpg

76819283.jpg

The boot floor is about 4" higher than the stock early corrado one, about 2.5" higher that the later corrado one. Reason being, to facilitate the fitment of an integral rear crossmember (not shown), which not only gives the diff something to hang off, it also acts as a rear strut brace and stiffens the back of the car up. It's also raised to allow the fitment of the much taller syncro fuel tank, as the diff is naw taking up some of the space where the original tank was.

You'll need one of these, along with it's associated wiring loom and holder and connectors. I got this out of a Jetta Syncro I scrapped.

76819273.jpg

which is the freewheel lock controller. It basically controlles the valve onthe back of the diff which enables you to use the 4wd in reverse. Relay 87 (EDIT: it's 83 actually) if you must know.

that boot floor you got there phat aint the last one as i bought one from my local dealers a month ago alonng with all the other panels apart from the crossmember because as far as there conserned this is the only bit that is dicontinued.

so are you running the vr6 syncro running gear or the haldex?

Strange. when I bought It I was told there were only 5 left in the country, and by the time I got that one it was the last, and because there were only 5 the price had dropped from £260 to about £80.

yeah, you can't buy the cross member, you have to cut that out of a syncro.

it's going to be running a vr6 syncro rear axle and diff. I'm using the 02m and the haldex in my mk2.

its a shame you cant still buy the crossmember because i'm going to have to brake a mint golf syncro just for it :roll: ,mind i did only pay £250 for it and most of the bits are presold so i've got my money back :)

cant see the point in just rear wheel drive because your going to have to do all the same work as you would to make it 4x4 because all the work is at the back end anyway unless your useing the 02m gearbox but if your not you dont even touch the front end.

you just want cool power slides dont you? 8)

spot on dude..... I dont think I could get enough power out of 12v vr6 to justify 4*4. But about 250bhp running rear wheel ... That would be fun

cant see the point in just rear wheel drive because your going to have to do all the same work as you would to make it 4x4 because all the work is at the back end anyway unless your useing the 02m gearbox but if your not you dont even touch the front end.

agree..

aye....just look at dubsports orange Mk1 VR Turbo, Mid engine RWD......Absolute garbage from a standing start!

Yeah, standing qtr in 12.38sec. Pathetic :lol:

Well, D-Day tomorrow. I'm 90% done with the eninge, I can't do anything else now without parts which I'm waiting for. so it's only the exhaust and 4wd to do now. and I can't do the exhaust without the syncro stuff all in place.

Which, in a roundabout sort of way, is my way of telling you all that I'll be dropping the fuel taking and cutting out my boot floor tomorrow!

Coxy should have pics of his up soon too, we spent a day the other day hacking up a jetta syncro for his car.

Whoa whoa back the truck up, AWD Corrado!?! I want one! I can't believe I've never heard of this before. So over there in Europe some of you got different models of VW's that were called "syncro" and those were 4wd? Give me the quick rundown of the details. Can it be done with the G60 and VR6 engines? What's the possible donor vehicle(s)? What's the basic parts list (tranny, transfer case, rear differential axels & suspension, driveshaft, subframe of donor car, ???) Could I ever get what I needed for the swap shipped over to the U.S.?

i would imagin you could, but for mega $, as i understand it, you need a donor car pref a golf rally. or pos parts from a syncro golf or passsat, you'll need to cut the whole rear floor plan out. and weld in 4dw one, gear box from donor car ect, big job,. unless your serious, got the tools, and loaded forget your plans, live with fwd.