Sign in to follow this  
jondobbs

expect the worst, ABS

Hello,

i'm looking to buy a 95M Auto / Leather / AC with 89K on the clock. Only problem, is that the owner has been told the ABS is broken and has failed the MOT. How much should I knock off the book price + anyone know of a way to get a quote before I buy?

Welcome to the forum

The ABS could be a number of thing's really so it's difficult to say really.The best thing to do is to get it VAG COM or similar and take it from there.Does the light go out on start up or does it stay on permantly ?

One other thing check to see if the aircon works because if doesnt it could get a bit pricey to sort it out :(

When i bought mine the aircon was'nt working and it ended up needing a new condensor and drier and to fit them you have to take the front of the car off (bumper,slampanel etc)

One last thing make sure everthing work's

Good luck

if you stick a piece of black tape over the abs light, it will pass the mot, mine did :)

Did the tester have a white cane ? :lol:

WOW, that's v.quick, thanks. I'm off to see the car tomorrow morning so i'll post again - all the other 'minters' have sold before I could get there so i'm hoping that one that needs a little fix will be a better buy. Could be risky though :roll:

if you stick a piece of black tape over the abs light, it will pass the mot, mine did

It shouldn't do as any decent MOT tester would notice the wheel sensor connections on top of the suspension turrets let alone the fecking great ABS pump!

Do a search on this one fella,

The most likely problem is one of the front sensors- it takes a minute with a multimeter to find out if these are the problem- there have been a few posts on here that tell you what you need to do.

Mike

if £25 is a best case scenarios, what’s the worst as I'm looking to offer silly money for the car and then pay to get the ABS straight. I’m not mechanically minded (and nor is the seller) so I view things as a cost rather than a fixable problem.

BTW, thanks to all those who've posted. It's much appreciated - i've learnt about Vag-com (and not http://www.vag.com) + looking into front sensors.

rgds, Jon

Ah, That will be the one in the trader N20 (2.0 8V) that was looking for 2.5K for some time and now believe has dropped the price to 2K? Been in the loot for a number of weeks, listed and re-listed.

:!: Its comming up to Christmas

:!: Had no bite so far at 2K

:!: Close trip out for you on sunday

:!: Leather in VERY GOOD CONDITION

HMMMMMMMM :roll:

If the paperwork is all OK, Not been Crashed (Look VERY CAREFULLY cills, overspray paint get down on your hands and knees and have a look underside to the seem and rust protection,) offer a max of £1500 and if worst comes to worst, will get your money back if you break it!

Hello,

i'm looking to buy a 95M Auto / Leather / AC with 89K on the clock. Only problem, is that the owner has been told the ABS is broken and has failed the MOT. How much should I knock off the book price + anyone know of a way to get a quote before I buy?

What engine is it by the way ?

Hello,

What engine is it by the way ?

going by what storm classic is saying/thinking....................looks to be the 2.0 8v

I didnt know that they made a 2.0 8v automatic :roll:

It must be really sluggish and underpowered..

leisurely i'd call it....................was almost away to buy a low-miler 2.0 8v auto minter myself 4 years ago too :wink:

i'm on 9 points :cry: so I need a cruiser 8) and I've been told that the 8v is easier/ cheaper to repair :?: .

The only thing is that it was a bit tatty :( and there is a gapping whole in the leather.

It hasn't got an MOT :( so it's almost scrap. Not to sure if it's worth the effort/expense :?:

the search continues :!:

No MOT, tatty exterior, iffy leather interior, ABS light problems, and what else...?? £2k is rather excessive for that..

Worst case scenario on an ABS fault is a new ABS pump unit. Thick side of £700 new...

i'm on 9 points :cry: so I need a cruiser 8) and I've been told that the 8v is easier/ cheaper to repair :?: .

The only thing is that it was a bit tatty :( and there is a gapping whole in the leather.

It hasn't got an MOT :( so it's almost scrap. Not to sure if it's worth the effort/expense :?:

the search continues :!:

it'll be cheaper (not by much tho and if at all bearing in mind its an auto) than a 16v fuel-wise..........as for insurance its actually in a higher group than the 1.8 16v.........as although its lower powered etc......8v and VR6's aren't exactly poles apart looks wise and in a way this is reflected in their insurance costs as well as the expensive Corrado body parts

ABS Tip of the Day, if your ABS light is stuck on get down the jet wash and wash the wheels spraying the calipers, that way you rule out dirty sensors!! its done the trick with mine a few times

I'm a little confused now as Parkers say the 16v is 136bhp and the 8v 115bhp. My insurance company have quoted lower on the 8v

the 16v they are meaning is the 2.0 16v(136bhp) which is in group 17.........however the 2.0 8v(115bhp) is in group 16 and to add to your confusion the 1.8 16v(136bhp) is in group 15 :wink: