Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

VR Dumping Coolant out of the expansion tank after a run.

Afternoon all,

The VR is playing up today, stopped this morning to fill up the washer fluid and while I was at it checked the coolant was just a touch below max. As I was only a couple of miles from home I thought the coolant would not be that warm...I was wrong and it dumped out of the side of the expansion tank. I let it all settle and filled her up with the engine running as per normal. Set of for the rest of my 30 mile jorney to work, no problems, normal temps etc etc. Stoppe din the carpark at work and notice steam arising from the nearside of the bonnet, flipped the bonnet to find the overflow of the expansion tank blowing, with the water in the tank boiling. I put this down to the seal not sealing correctly after replacing the cap.

Just popped out to lunch to get the xmas sprirts from Sainsbury's and had a similar thing happen once back here at work.

Is these the signs of a knackered cap.....or is there something else up??

I'd try changing the cap first... my friend has been having a similar problems on his prelude :pukeleft: - I told hime to scrap it and get a dub but he insisted that it was only a faulty cap - he was right and the prelude lives :roll:

Mine did just that when the thermostat jammed shut. Mine had collapsed completely and jammed shut and wouldn't run for more than a few minutes before dumping the lot.

Maybe yours is on its way out too :(

or and i hate to say it a knackered head gasket which is leaking exhaust gases and pressurizing the water system this happened to a car i had cough a ford!! :oops: . hope its not that matey!!!