Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Clunk sound from suspension

I have been having this problem where if I gas the car quickly I get this CLUNK on the passenger side of the car and my steering shifts slightly. when I let go of the gas I get the clunk again and my steering corrects itself. if I put the clutch in, it doesnt happen, this makes me think its suspension and not an engine mount. anyone got anything? thanks.

i wouldnt have thought you could rule out engine mounts by dipping the clutch, as (I think) the engine would only move if it's actually trying to move the car, if you see what i mean. Test your engine mounts by popping the bonnet (hood to you!) putting the handbrake on and lifting the clutch to the biting point while getting a mate to see how far the engine moves.

I had a knocking similar to yours... turned out to be the weight put on the drive shaft to stop tourque steer. Apparently you don't need to worry about this when it goes (which is quite common) and some people just take it off and live with tourque steer... I've had mine replaced but haven't yet driven it so can't comment on any difference it may have had.

HTH

phil please explain.....I get clunking from the driver side(can feel knocking and hear it close to brake pedal).Ive recently had my driveshaft wishbone and shock out, and replaced with 2nd hand parts....the noise continues......what do u mean by the weight on the drive shaft??? What could the problem be and what would need replacement?

the cars steering wheel goes counter clockwise or turns the car toward the left. The only reason I rules out the engine mounts is because the engine does move when the cars clutch is out, but not as severely as it does when the clutch is in. due the the fact that the knocking noise comes with a rather sudden jolt of gas, and the fact that the clunk is rather large, just getting the engine to move should reproduce the sound.

the engine still has the balance factor while the clutch is out, if you rev the engine it will move backwards, if you let the revs drop it moves forwards, the direction of the force of acceleration on the crank and pistons create the movement of the engine, without the clutch catching.

phil please explain.....I get clunking from the driver side(can feel knocking and hear it close to brake pedal).Ive recently had my driveshaft wishbone and shock out, and replaced with 2nd hand parts....the noise continues......what do u mean by the weight on the drive shaft??? What could the problem be and what would need replacement?

Afraid my knowledge is a little slim as to the exact bits that had to be sorted on mine as I had it done at the same time as my engine swap... I'm going down for visiting hour this morning so I'll ask and try and give you a bit more detail

sounds more likely to be suspension related though if your steering is shifting and you are pulling to the left

mine had a similar problem and after changing the top mounts, bottom ball joints, bottom wishbones and bushes it turned out to be a very knackered shock on the drivers side, the shaft was wobbling about in the top of the strut

Went down to see my C this afternoon... it's the weight on the drive shaft, as I said before this coming loose is quite a common problem and will cause the knocking sound and once it is loose you will get tourque steer.

These are only available with the drive shaft and can't be bought separately.. so I have had mine taken off and will have to live with tourque steer for a while.

Phil, where do you take ur c?? I usually go basingstoke to designa dubs or matey in raynes park. As for the weight on the drive shaft, i had this part replaced, 2nd hand. Ill investigate that, as fot the strut mounting, im gna check under the plastic now to see if it clunks.

Good lcu kwith ur valver mate, im not having too much myself.

Cheers mate, hopefully it'll all be good once it's back next week... new engine shouldn't give me too much trouble (I hope)

I take mine to MCM in Millford (nr Godalming) Danny is the owner and very good at what he does.. you can get him on 01483 424815!

Sounds like a shagged drive shaft to me. check to see if the gaiter has split and all the grease has run out. I had a very similar thing in my renault 5 gtt, i could feel the knocking through the pedals and hear it when i accelerated only.

I can hear it when i go over bumps, although i can feel it around the pedals. Looked at the estrutt mounts and i cant believe i gotta take the leg off again to do it. As for the driveshaft, better not be bust, i jusrt replaced that!