Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

VR6 chip?

I have a '95 VR6.

As you all know, it is fairly quick, but I was wondering how much it would cost me to "chip" it.

If you can shed some light on this with regards cost and availability of the mod, please can you leave these details here.

How much faster will the car be? Am i putting unnecessary strain on the engine? Any side effects? Cost effective?

Oh yes, do any Corrados have a "lights on " warning if you accidentally leave your lights on whilst opening the drivers' door with no keys in? Can I fit a warning easily?

Cheers for listening all

:D

Hi mate

I have a 93 vr6 and I posted a topic on the VR6 Chip and the best response came back from the chip by AMD in Oxford - Bicester. The chip cost £250, the last guy who I asked about chips said that it gave him 14 BHP increase but the chip is really good for low pick up speed and drive ability and you wont be harming your engine, as soon as you chip it, be ware that it will give you the mod bug to try and make these Corrados actually take off.

With regards to the lights on, Corrado t my knowledge dont come with them but it is the easiest thing to fit. You can buy them from your local Halfords or store like that, you only have to connect a couple of wires - dead esay or just ,make sure you always look at your corrado oncre you have locked it and start walking away, its always worth a look, lets face it your always inside it so this way you can admire yuour beast! My tip!

Top Tip :D

£250 for just 14bhp !! Is the low pick-up speed THAT much better with it fitted then? And the drive is beautiful already !

Hmmmm - any others got advice?

£250 for just 14bhp !!

That is a lot for £250! You can spend more than that on an air filter and not even get half that increase. AmD's website quote an increase of 12-15bhp. If you get 15, that's exceptional value.

Kev

94 Vr6

Got my VR chipped and it was quicker, but you got used to it quickly ! :(

Large throttle body same as chip you get used to it ...... :cry:

All this money spent on chip and body is not worth it to me.... :?

Put n.o.s on and that makes one HELL of a difference,Better bang 4 £ :D

Thats just me :lol:

James VR

this is the chip im thinking about getting in about a month or so for my 92' vr6. it seems nice... tell me what you think

Will the remapping of my VR6 by AMD improve economy too?

should get a wee bit of an improvement fuel wise(i get about 2mpg more round town)......the main thing you notice is that it pulls harder in each gear and is more drivable too

You say the low pick improves with the chip, do all standard VR6's up to 4000rpm feel flat? My Corrado has been dyno'd at 194bhp, and above 4000rpm it feels well strong, but below it sometimes feels like a mkII 8v golf gti would pick up faster. The smoothless might be giving me the wrong impression, but if the chip improves this it must be worth doing.

The only thing that will significantly boost the low down pull is a Shrick VGI manifold or a Supercharger. The chip irons out peaks and troughs in the torque curve, so if the factory map is lacking fuel at a certain point in the map, or giving too much, the new chip will correct that meaning a smoother drive and better pull.

But in answer to your question, yes VR6s are quite flat below 4000rpm. It's quite a lazy power unit but nothing a short ratio gearbox and a Shrick can't sort out :D

Kev

I would have said that 'flat below 4k' was a bit harsh.

I know that's where it is probably peaking but just under 3.5k and it really starts to pull.

It's not really bhp that counts with a chip (unless you have a turbo or you really want to be able to say in the pub that your VR6 is more than 200bhp). It's the torque.

I had a piggyback chip in my VR6 from Stealth (in Warwickshire). Bhp went from 194-202, so no big deal. However, the torque jumped from 182lb/ft-ish to about 199lb/ft. Put your foot down in second or third gear at 2,500-3,500 rpm and the difference is really noticeable.

The only problem, as the guys said, is that you get used to it very quickly.

I'm looking for a VR6 to replace my baby, which was stolen recently. If I get a totally standard one, a chip is the second thing I will do to it probably.

Best rgds

If I get a totally standard one, a chip is the second thing I will do to it probably.

What's the first thing you'd do?

How much was the piggy-back chip from Stealth? I'm going up there in August so might enquire about it!

Cheers

Kev

I think it was about £300 (sorry Vince at Stealth if it was less!)

They also fitted my quickshift kit, Pagid discs and pads, and braided brake lines.

For the money you get before and after rolling road data, which is good fun.

In my case it was fine in the beginning then I had real problems with the car cutting out that turned into a nightmare. In the end I took the chip back for a refund, but Stealth was great about it and they have very few problems like that.

The extra punch in the mid-range was very noticeable straight away. I will have my next C chipped for that reason alone.

OK mate, thanks for the info. I've been a stealth customer for about 4 years and can vouch for their service. The trouble with chipping mine is Vince doesn't think there will be an improvement to be had as mine already develops 200 bhp and 193lb/ft as standard but I do have an odd flatspot at 2K which I'd like ironing out. I'll have a chat with him about it....

Cheers

Kev