Sign in to follow this  
rmn

Engine mounts.....again!

I have been doing a bit of research on this.

What do people think to run

is a solid front mount like the bahn brenner one or a vibratechnics one best. the car will have about 230-250bhp when i am finished.

as for the rear mounts is it worth changing them to vibratechnics or such like? i rekon it is, but just looking ofr some opinions, thanks

oh yeah and it will be sprinting!

If you're using your C for sprinting and thus not worried too much about ride comfort, go for solid mounts all round whever you can. The only reason people don't put completely solid mounts on is because they transmit more vibrations through the cabin.

I know my front VT mount needs refilling apparently as the engine has suddenly got an awful lot of play in it.. but that it might explain why my cabin has become a bit noisy and rattly in recent months.

Isnt it true that you can choose how the VT's are refilled and get different grades depending on how firm you want the engine mount to be?

where does solid all round mounts?

i presume a solid front is a good starting point with Vibratechnics rears

I've been told that VT front and OE rears is a pretty good setup actually.. i'm not sure I would personally be able to tell the difference though.

I can also vouch for JMR solid ones. Much better power delivery and a race car style jerk when you start the engine! Seriously though, it has made a huge difference to what felt like driveline shunt and poor throttle response. The bar onto which it mounts is actually rubber mounted anyway so it's not like completley solid mounts. They're only £70 as well. Drop 16VG60 a mail and he can send you one. I'm sure he could advise you on a rear one too.

i am about to get a batch of EIP solid mounts in from the states....

I cant confirm price yet, but according to the UPS tracking site they are in Derby, so I will know how much tax i have to pay within the next few days.

I am sure they will be less than any other solid mount available, so it would be worth waiting. FS thread will be posted once I have the price confirmed.

I'm using all three of the VF motor mounts. They are made of poly and aluminum. Shifting from 1st to 2nd made a huge difference...the transition is super smooth. The difference can also be felt when driving on a mountain road, when your constantly shifting. The bad is the engine vibration...performance or comfort...your decision. KCD and Turn2 make full poly inserts and are a bit more foregiving than the VF. The VF ones are complete replacements.

I really can't recommend the solid mounts. The motor has to have some movement. If the motor has no play, then the shock and vibration will absorbed by the motormount brackets or the sub-frame. That can lead to broken sub-frames and brackets. Unless you are a hardcore drag racer...I don't recommend them. Just my opinion...

As I said above the front engine mount is mounted onto a rubber bush-mounted beam anyway so it's not like a completely solid front engine mount. JMR mounts are £70.

Oettinger SLC, cheers!

i am just building the engine now, so i will be buying the mounts in the next month or so, the dollar is good too

andycowuk, let me know what sort of money

New order of JMR solid alloy front mounts due in this week, these will be available for order immenantly. These mounts can be ordered in either alloy finnish or blue annodised. To date this has proved to be a very well received product both economically and operationally. I would hope by now that having sold a considerable number of these mounts, many of which to forum users, that any fears of undue vibration have been laid to rest and only the positive factors that these mounts have to offer stand. I look forward to hearing fom you.