Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

:( help have some problems dudes (im back again) :( 2006!

hi im back lol,,,, right were do i start ... a mobile mechanic came round to fix / change the cambelt and the tentioner which he did :)

so of he went after we ran it for a bit at standstill and all apiered to be ok.... so i drove her round the block and then there was a loss of power again and a funny plasticy smell :(

so i opened up the bonnet to find water and steam coming out of my bit were you put the water in (wats that called again lol) anyway so i let her cool down and took her home ....that was the only time she has done that since " puzzled ?" so i have taken her up to a garage to put it on a diagnostic machine --- no error codes :) :( .... so i took her down the road and when i got back the exaust manifold was once again (see origional problem) glowing red hot with a plasticy smell coming from somewere :(:( ---- the car is now running great but there is just this glowing manifold and plasticy smell --- so i dont want to drive heranywere untill its fixed if i can help it.

weird thing is - is that the oil temp reads about 100c and the water does the same roughley...... the fan is not cuting in though (?) .

there is nowight stuf in the oil or oil in the water --- there does seem to be an oil leek neer the dipstick from one of the bits that goes into the engine at the front (?) .... i love this car for 2 reasons 1 its my first car and 2 its a corrado ,,, im shure you guys can feal my pain of not being able to drive her :( ..... anny advice --- im living to fix this problem at the moment :( cant eaven work .... thanks.

could it be that i have thrown 1 valve ? she still runs ok . aparently the fuel also acts as a coolent and if the fuel mix is 2 low would the manifold glow red?

posibly a cam prob?

That tick you hear is your idle stabilizer valve for the engine, its a T valve that checks the vacuum in the intake. it conjoins with the intake manifold. dont worry about that it is normal. if your revs dropped check vacuum lines. being that your exhaust is glowing and the fact that you arent turbo or supercharged, your timing is off.

unplug your battery

remove the timing belt cover and line up the camshaft sprocket with the top edge of the head. now look at where your engines sprocket notch is ( look at the crank pulley's notch, and view where the arrow is pointing, if it is lined up with the notch you are ok, if not, loosen the tensioner with a socket and move the camshaft sprocket up one notch on the timing belt till it is aligned). once this is fixed then remove the clips that hold on the distributor cap. the little orange thing with wires going into it. look at where the notch is lined up, if this is off loosen the bolt that is keeping the distributor tight on the engine. loosen your timing belt tensioner and twist the distributor till it lines up. once that is fixed tighten all of the nuts and tensioner. rotate the engine a few times with a socket on the pulley, check to see if they are all aligned still and if yes then try starting your engine.

attach your battery. also if your car doesnt start after this, check the fuses your timing issues could have blown your 02 sensor and fried the fuse that leads to your fuel pump. also make sure ure ECU isnt fried,

PS. GET A BENTLEY MANUAL!!!!!

also do all your own work, corrado's are easy to work on, unless you have a VR, sorry VR guys

you can tell when you throw a valve and no id doesnt run ok. Dude I just spent 8 months sorting out cooling problems. just hope that its easy. u might be burning too lean, more air = hotter. does the car stumble to a start or does it go right up? if it stumbles then ure timing is off. also how long does it take the car to get boiling hot? the wierd plasticy smell is probably a blue piece of rubber attached to your exhaust manifold melting. or its oil burning from people touching it, i.e. mechanic

I would check the vacuum line to ure ECU if u have one, G60's have one and if it is old and/or snaps, breaks, rots. there will be a lack of vacuum from the throttle body, the thing that is attached to ure intake manifold(thing that looks like 4 tubes that is on top of the engine. anyway make sure this line is attached and is not old or cracked.

also wilst i think of it could it be something to do with the airbox --- there are 3 holes in it (im great at this tech talk lol) one is the air that comes in next to the headlight - one is the air to the engine of the top - and one is a tube of the back of the airbox:( this one of the back - does it have much of a purpose? seems to go to the back of the engine --- its all freid and squashed flat :( this hapened when all my probs started --- drilled some holes in my airbox and the pipe got bugger*d on the way (the pipe isnt held open by the springcoil inside the pipes lining (what is this pipe for? ).

it take hardly any time for the cars water temp to get to 100-105 degrees c .... mabe 2 miles --- starts up fine - runs better than ever since i had the belt changed and tentioner ... just still have this problem of driving 2 miles and the manifold glowing red:( ... the guy seemed to know what he was doing - got strait in there ... going out to check the fuses and see if i can get the fan to work .

be great if one of you guys could tell me what this pipe is for though:):) thanks chaps.

there's two big pipes into the air box: -

1. a warm air feed as mentioned by coolrado for ducting air from around exhaust to assist with atomizing fuel on warm up - this shouldn't affect running too much

2. the second is an overun valve - on warm up this lets more air past the metering flap and then closes when warm (this forms the characterstic drop in revs after few minutes on 16vs) Depending which bit you drilled will depend what effect it has.

nope, that is the warm air pick up round the exhaust

nice sketch LOL

just been to a garage and they recon that the engine is bu*gered :(

what do you think?

also if i had to get a new engine - what would plug and play? 2.9?

g60? plese advise

uh they are on crack. your engine runs smooth? its fine, it needs to be timed, you are running too far in advance by one tooth. the car will start up great and then get hot real quick. it takes normally about 5-10 mins for a corrado to get up to 100c. nothing is plug and play except the existing engine. I would get an R32 engine if you have to buy a new one, or a 1.8t they are relatively easy. just need a harness and ECU, guy here in the states makes a kit for around 700.

uh they are on crack. your engine runs smooth? its fine, it needs to be timed, you are running too far in advance by one tooth. the car will start up great and then get hot real quick. it takes normally about 5-10 mins for a corrado to get up to 100c. nothing is plug and play except the existing engine. I would get an R32 engine if you have to buy a new one, or a 1.8t they are relatively easy. just need a harness and ECU, guy here in the states makes a kit for around 700.

sorry have just quickly read through the topic...

its not a blocked cat is it? :oops:

neil.

what would hapen with a bloked cat?

the car starts up sweet and runs great to --- just the manifold gets red hot after 2miles or so:(

also everyso often the car looses power and wont pick up ? so i stop quickley and turn the egnition of then back on again and it runs great again :( this mechanic sead that i had damaged the valves and pistons and it would be cheeper to buy a new engine:(

but the car runs great?

soooo confusing --- plese advise

cheers,potatonet :wink: still learning me self...

im pretty sure a knackered cat will give the symptoms mistrall mentions.

loss of power due to restriction and glowing manifold due to the heat building up?

i think the only way to check the cat is to take it off or maybe give it a punch while still on the car and listen for rattling inside.

can you start the car and watch as the manifold starts to glow?

does the cat not glow as well?

neil. :)

If the CAT glows with heat - you have a very serious problem. My advice would be to take the car to a reputable garage & get them to diagnose exactly what the problem is.

In fact - if your CAT's glowing with heat - your exhaust manifold is likely to have melted !!

a freind has a g60 and hes striping it,,, he has everything that goes under the bonet for sale ie: G60 engine,gearbox,supercharger,ecu,loom,intercooler all pipework,driveshafts ----= cant i just get a mechanic to put it all in ? would that cost more and be more dificult than just putting anouther 2.0ltr engine in?

plus what would a bloked cat doo?

the engine runs sweet at the moment --- just gets realy hot -- and exaust manifold glows red?