Sign in to follow this  
Riley

2nd gear struggle ??? **fixed**

alright guys 8)

1992 g60...

from 1st to 2nd,or 3rd to 2nd,even 4th to 2nd :!: is hard work.

its definately not the box i dont reckon,feels more like the linkage or something?

lever does tend to stir a bit,goes to far to the left to get second,have to fish about a bit.

any ideas?

it will be going on my mates ramp this week,so ill have a chance to check it out.

sorry if this has been asked a million times,i tried the search and couldnt find anything.

neil. :)

I hope u dont hav ethe same as me!

My clutch pressure plate gave up while i was getting a power run done on the rollers on friday. Clutch wouldnt dissengauge enough to select a gear, had to start the car in gear.

Do you gear select nicely when the engine is off?

Good luck

sh1tter about the pressure plate m8 :mad:

havent tried without running the car,im guessing that it will feel the same?

just feels loose or worn somehow?

thing is im not used to cable change,but my dad has a valver that the lever feels a lot tighter in? :roll:

thanks for the reply,neil.

Similar problem here. Although mine's a lot worse when its cold, which leads me to think its the box. How about yours? Apparantly you can adjust the mechanism on top of the gearbox to compensate, but I've tried and couldn't get it right. Someone told me there's a special tool to do it.

I had this problem on my 112,000 mile G60. Then I had the cable linkage adjusted, a weight added to the shift arm that connects to the gearbox and the hydraulics pressure bled and the shift quality has improved tenfold. All this without touching the clutch!

Mine is very stubborn atm too though i'm thinking its as a result of the front engine mount being a bit screwed.

Getting that fixed, getting the quickshift and all linkeage checked over, and the gearbox oil replaced on the 14th of Feb up at Stealth.. hoping its a smooth drive again because right now its not a very nice experience when doing town driving :(

i had the same thing on my old valver, second gear was a bitch to engage sometimes - my mechanic adjusted the linkage -sorted it out. would have been even better if i'd have been arsed to change the gearbox oil.

hope this helps

oh, and i believe there is a special tool to do this, but i didnt watch him do it. think someone is flogging them on e-gay atm, worth a look.

Riley, you say about having to fish about for 2nd. Have a look under the gaiter to see if the travel limiting circlip has fallen off the transverse pivot pin. Makes a BIG difference

Getting that fixed, getting the quickshift and all linkeage checked over, and the gearbox oil replaced on the 14th of Feb up at Stealth..

I really think I need to take a trip there myself...

thanks for the suggestions guys 8)

ill check this circlip out first i think,sounds like it could possibly be the problem.

what exactly am i looking for?

sorry im totally new to corrado's!!!

suppose i could compare my dads valver against the g60?

Riley, you say about having to fish about for 2nd. Have a look under the gaiter to see if the travel limiting circlip has fallen off the transverse pivot pin. Makes a BIG difference

and if not,ill start looking at the linkage,and probably change the oil as a matter of course,any reccomended oil?

thanks again for the help!

neil. :D

Don't know if this is related, but occasionally I seem to somehow get the car into 2nd gear awkwardly, as if the lever has gone in the wrong place. The car does actually go into 2nd but then the lever is a b*gg*r to shift back out, almost needing two hands. What might this be?

that sounds like the circlip kerrinmay...

Lift up the plastic bit which has the Karmann (or Storm if you're a bit like that! ;) ) badge on it and you'll see the shifter mechanism. Pull the lever back and forth and you'll see it pivots on a shaft running side to side, at the left hand side of this shaft there should be a clip to stop the lever slipping off the end of the shaft as you go for reverse, 1st and 2nd gears. Put the car into neutral, and then move it over to go towards reverse, if the shaft completely dissappears into the lever, then the clip is missing and that's your problem... 8)

well done and thanks go to 2CC and henny

:D :D

had a look under the gaitor and there was no circlip on the pivot shaft,i stuck a c clip on and its like driving a diffarent car!

thanks a lot guys 8)

that was the bitter voice of experience from me... ;) Gearshift on J-DUB was bobbins until I put that clip on! :lol: 18months I put up with it for... :roll: :oops:

Glad you got it sorted mate... 8)

yeah thanks m8,really has made a massive difference :!:

on to splitting a head light next before i buy a new one :?

neil.

Glad your'e sorted. I learned about it from someone here so pleased to pass it on.

what u want to know about splitting lights?

Glad your'e sorted. I learned about it from someone here so pleased to pass it on.

what u want to know about splitting lights?

yeah,sure will m8 thanks :D

the head light is absolutely full of water/condensation,the reflector still looks good so im thinking of removing the glass,cleaning and sticking it back together with silicone.

any tips?

was gonna use a stanley blade...

neil.

was gonna use a stanley blade...

neil.

don't need to do that,

glass is only held on to the main unit by the metal clips around it's edge, remove the outer black plastic trim (should be silly little metal clips holding that on, easy to break)

Then get a flat screwdriver and carefully insert it into the main glass clips and pop them off one by one, glass will just pull away from the rubber seal then.

be careful not to damage the edge of the glass when refitting.

David.

ahh right,i just presumed they were sealed like on the ol' mk1 :lol:

so if they just clip together i need to watch for breaking these?

and would i be ok to run a little bead of silicone round the glass?

thanks,neil. :D

ahh right,i just presumed they were sealed like on the ol' mk1 :lol:

so if they just clip together i need to watch for breaking these?

and would i be ok to run a little bead of silicone round the glass?

thanks,neil. :D

nothing wrong with a bit of silicone to help the rubber seal work, there are two types of clip, silly little fragile ones that hold the trim around the light and the heavy 'c' shaped things that take a bit of levering with a screwdriver and ping off (usually grey). just be careful not to chip the glass with the screwdriver when you lever the main ones.

David.

riley, did you get the travel limiting circlip from the dealers?

if so, did they have it in stock?

i have had the same problem with mine, looked under the gaitor and the clip is missing, i tried one off another gear lever that i had lying around and it wouldnt fit, i dont know what car it came off though!!

it was just a c clip i had lying around m8 :)

rather than the thin rounded like metal ones,i used a wider 3 prong type thing...

dont know the difference in names other than a there both a circlip i think,hope ya know what i mean :? :lol:

once you sort it m8,it will be a diffarent car to drive 8)