Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

oil in induction system???

I took apart my air intake pipe - specifically the section with the MAF sensor attached - to find oil in the bottom of it.

The oil hadn't reached the throttle body (but was close)

From what I can gather it looks as thought its come from the oil pressure regulating valve connected to the air intake

My questions are:

1. is this something to worry about?

2. Why is the pressure regulating valve connected to the air induction?

3. the PRV was replaced recently (used the Ford Galaxy one- identical to VW) - is it supposed to let oil through?

cheers

Apparently it's "not uncommon", but I couldn't be sure about the reason why.

I don't believe the PCV is supposed to let oil through, just vapour. But there's no reason why it wouldn't condense into oily deposits the other side, which can build up into actual oil over the months/years.

My questions are:

1. is this something to worry about?

2. Why is the pressure regulating valve connected to the air induction?

3. the PRV was replaced recently (used the Ford Galaxy one- identical to VW) - is it supposed to let oil through?

cheers

1. No

2. PCV = POSITIVE Crankcase Ventilation. It's there to relieve crankcase pressure and is more effective if there is a pressure drop (i.e. vacuum) at the breather outlet.

3. Crankcase fumes will contain oil.

Some homework for you lot :

1. What effect does excessive crankcase pressure have?

2. What effect does oil vapour in the air intake have both upstream and downstream of the breather?

3. How is PCV implemented in a forced induction engine?

I noticed the same a couple of days ago, and have a question. Should you be able to blow through that valve with virtually no resistance from either way. I can and am wondering if my valves knackered.

But the vapour condenses on cooler surfaces and becomes oil again though.... hence the quantities of it found in the intake hose and on the throttle butterfly.

It's nothing to get concerned about though. VW designed it that way.

Early VR6s didn't have the PCV filter arrangements and allowed a little more vapour into the intake as a result.

I noticed the same a couple of days ago, and have a question. Should you be able to blow through that valve with virtually no resistance from either way. I can and am wondering if my valves knackered.

Cough....anyone?

Yes you should be able to blow through the PCV Filter.

Put it this way, if you can't, how do you think the Crankcase gases will escape?

Just thought i'd mention, if you need to replace the PCV filter, buy it from a Ford dealer. The Galaxy V6 uses the VR6 engine, and VW will try and sell you the whole induction pipe as a kit for silly money, whereas it is available from Ford as a seperate part for around £12.. The part numbers aren't the same though, so you have to try and explain what it is over the counter...

Cheers

Steve