Sign in to follow this  
fla

OBD1 or OBD2

Eh Kev?

OBD2 is the scart-like connector - which I have in my '94 VR6!

OBD1 is the old-style found in G60s and older VRs, is it not? aka 2x2

fla, best bet is to pop up the gear-surround - I presume it'll be the same on an Auto, and find the connector.

OBD2 (the better for diagnostics) looks like this:

J1962M.jpg

Thats just the type of connector, obd2 never came into use until late '96 after the corrado was out of production.

Ok, so the Corrado is OBD1 but can have an OBD2 connector - if you're looking to buy a cable for it ;)

Thats just the type of connector, obd2 never came into use until late '96 after the corrado was out of production.

I've got a '95 Golf VR6 Highline with an OBD2 engine...

"OBD" is a data transfer protocol, not an electrical wiring system. Protocols can run over any given cable, as long as there's enough pins...

Late VRs came with the new-style connector, I assume cos VW bought a shed load of them to use in their other, newer cars, but they didn't reflash the Corrado VR6 ECUs with the OBD2 code. (Presumably they DID reflash the VR6 Golfs because it was worthwhile them doing so - they were producing a lot more 2.8s than 2.9s.)

Theres more to it than a transfer protocol, OBD2 cars have a different throttle body and no isv as well as some other changes, its whole new management system. No corrados were fitted with it.

Theres more to it than a transfer protocol, OBD2 cars have a different throttle body and no isv as well as some other changes, its whole new management system. No corrados were fitted with it.

Agreed, but that's incidental to the use of OBD1 or OBD2 protocol. The late engines with fly-by-wire throttle body could also have used OBD1 if VW chose to do so, but they didn't.

OBD2 provides faster data rates..

OBD2 cars have a different throttle body and no isv

Just to change direction somewhat, what is the feasibility of adopting this system and doing away with the ISV etc on the VR? May solve some running problems.

You need the OBD2 MAF, engine harness, ECU and throttle.

It's not worth it mate....I've already discussed it with Vince in the past and apparently OBD2 VR6s are just as prone to the same running issues OBD1 VRs....although you can monitor more things with VAG-COM on OBD2. Setting up the throttle using VAG-COMs basic settings on OBD2 is fun!

Shame - i was hoping we could finally put this bloody ISV issue to bed. If there are any other suggestions or options I hope you, Vince or anyone else lets us know.

I've been data logging my engine with VAG-COM today and I found something interesting. On the throttle angle measuring block, I could press the throttle a full 3 degrees before the engine revved (at idle)! In other words, the throttle cuts off at 15 degrees and goes to idle mode. At rest the angle is 12.1 degrees. At each point where the throttle went below 15 degrees, the engine stuttered, which manifests itself as a stall on the move and jerky part throttle response....hmmmm....something amiss there...it's a new TPS aswell!

I'm wondering if I should adjust the TPS angle to 15 deg at rest so the transition from drive to idle isn't so abrupt? And should get rid of that 3 degrees of nothingness!

I tell you what, VAG-COM is a god send....

Ok, so will the shrick Manifold thats for sale on ebay at the moment fit my car ( 94 VR6) which has the later style ODB2 connector. The gumpf on the sale page says it is for an ODB 1?

I'm wondering if I should adjust the TPS angle to 15 deg at rest so the transition from drive to idle isn't so abrupt? And should get rid of that 3 degrees of nothingness!

I've noticed similar things myself (without going the whole vag com data logging route).

Might be something worth looking at. Match it up with the throttle cable and the throttle position (there's usually a bit of slack in the throttle anyway, so you might find that first three degress of pedal movement doesn't actually move the throttle butterfly anyway) you don't want to be opening the throttle butterfly while the ECU is still in idle mode, or at least, there needs to be a small overlap, not a large one..