Sign in to follow this  
chuck

high milage passat?

buying a cheap and cheerful runabout. looking at a 1990 passat 1.8 8v digifant. only thing is its got 215000 miles on the clock :!: Its an ex-taxi. he's only looking 500 quid for it, and its in generally good nick, and drives fine and doesn't smoke. needs a heater matrix tho, and the gaskets could do with being changed.

should i be concerned about the mileage?

£500 is a bit steep considering the work its needing.........those older Passats go for pennies even the Diesel ones aint too dear to buy

Heater matrixes are always a beeyatch to change as well, even disregarding the engine work... Considering I paid £700 for a '92 2.0 8V GL with 140k on the clock and all the stuff listed in my sig already done to it, I reckon £500 is a bit much IMHO... 8)

They are damn good solid cars though! :)

Having now spent some time being driven about in Daves I can say that they are great cars... and have a lot of potential - often overlooked by the dub scene! And just to echo Dave he got a very good spec with leather and lots of engine work for £700 so yeah I'd say £500 is too much, would they take an offer of £350/£400?

i was a taxi driver( im afraid!) for 7 years..you do get the occational one who looks after there car..i always did! has it got loads of holes in the dash??

Too expensive, I bought my syncro for a grand and a K plate 2 litre GL estate for £460 with 98K on it 2 years ago.

Gavin

im selling one for about that much now ive found the raddo, too far away for you though! Id say its too much. Its about what im after and mine is mint with a new engine, clutch, dist, alternator, pas pump, battery, 4 tyres, master cylinder, ew window mech, radiator.....the list goes on and all that in the last 3 months!! yes i will be loosing lots of money! but its paying for the vr insurance!!

A little too much I'd say, as I sold my '93 K plate (1.6TD) with only 170K on the clock for £325.

Mmm. I reakon he would take a lot less for it.

corradowales - funny enough its dash looked pretty unmolested :)

I think that if he doesn't accept substantially less, I'll be looking at something else - the BMW 3 series estates look like a similar cheap alternative.

nick48480 - I'm on the isle of wight for a while - where's salisbury - is yours an estate? I'm really after an estate...

Cheers guys.

my mate had a pasta estate, it was amazing!! knackard, but a solid workhorse. He paid £175 for it, it had done about 120k. Was 1.8 8v. sold it for £200. Tell the guy you've seen others for around £200 and see what he says!?