Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

. . . and then the car filled with steam . . .

When my Passat matrix failed I was doing a ton on a PRIVATE stretch of motorway on my way to work. Luckily I didn't look too much of a fool pulling onto the hard shoulder in a cloud, having shot past a large number of slower vehicles.

I just turned on the heated seats and set the heater to cold to stop the steam getting to the screen.

If it had happened on an A road instead of a straight bit of motorway it could have been much worse.

Funnily enough this was within a mile of where the head gasket failed on my Golf. :roll:

Just bad luck?

I'd say it's worth a letter and stamp.

In the early days of the recall, VW were refunding the costs of matrix replacement to folk who had to pay out their own pocket to get their cars fixed. I don't see this as being too different.

At least a RHD matrix only costs 38 from GSF. I bought one this afternoon for a mate. A LHD aircon one costs 90 even if you 'know' someone in the right place!

Gavin

where the pipes poke through the bulkhead, are they actually the matrix pipes, or are they pipes that lead to the matrix?

Not sure.. I haven't changed mine yet... I think they are Matrix pipes though...

Incidentally when my went both passenger and drivers footwells filled with coolant.... not nice having 80 degree collant spray on your legs whilst driving!

Hey guys.

As you know, mine blew a few months back (search for almost and ex-corrado owner by me - there are pics).

The most important thing i learnt is that they don't blow with that ferocity on their own. If you are still driving the car with it bypassed then you might be lucky but keep a very close eye on the temp and how much pressure is building in the system (how hard are the coolant pipes?).

Mine turned out to be the thermostat stuck closed which then caused the matrix to blow as the weak link of the chain (its a really flimsy component, lucky it wasn't the head gasket). so then whe i replaced the matrix, the engine was still over heating and putting immense pressure on the system.

A quick test is to get the car up to running temp so the coolant pipes are hot and (carefully) put your hand on the pipe that connects to the bottom of the rad, if it's cold and/or the other pipes are rock solid, replace the thermostat or check for a blocked rad BEFORE you fart around replacing heater matrix, or you might be doing it again next week

where the pipes poke through the bulkhead, are they actually the matrix pipes, or are they pipes that lead to the matrix?

The two plastic pipes poking out of the bulkhead are part of the heater matrix, it's all one unit.

You might have to look at the seals around the water pump too, if you're getting water thrown around off the aux belt..

To add to the debate, for what it's worth.

I had a recall on my '90 valver (probably got the paperwork at home somewhere) but that was to fit valves to the heater feed/return pipes in the engine bay. The explanation was that the valves closed off the feed in the event the matrix went so would prevent the possibility of the passenger being scalded. I believe also that this work was only for vehicles built up to '93 (no idea which month); the early matrixes were deemed to be 'lesser quality' and better ones were fitted from that point on. When I discussed this with my dealer at the time they said there was no intention of them picking up the tab for a new matrix if the car was more than 3 yrs old, but probably would do if it was younger. So my understanding is that you will get nowhere with a claim on a matrix since every C is more than 3 yrs old, and especially not if its '93 up. I suppose you might be able to get the valevs still, but again it will probably be at your own expense if your car was not on the original recall list.

i'll check the thermostat too. thanks. and the waterpump seal.

top link to the how to thread!!! nice one.

i have printed that off and i am gonna start whipping stuff off in my dinner hour.

i am gonna take the carpet out too at the same time, as its a little moist.

the water seems to be on the drivers side, with none on the passenger side. either way the dash has to come out.

i just had a bit of a look at it under the bonnet. appears to be leaking a bit down by the "belts". thats where the water pump is right?

i ran it up to temp. the top hose was hot throughout. the bottom hose eventually got warm.

i have just ordered a thermostat, a heater matrix, and a water pump. the water pump thats on the car is probably the original one. its done 150k so its probably wonkered.

In North America this recall was done under Recall UE and it was a modification of the coolant fan control unit and a restricter was installed in the rad hose leading to the heater core. The recall was only done on 1992 to 1994 VR6 Corrado's, there was a seperate one for the 1990 G60 Corrado here as well. Because the UE recall wasn't for the heater core, it didn't mean that the heater core would be changed for sure. VW's lawyers did't do a good job of wording the recall notice because it states that if the heater core explodes after the recall had been done to the cooling system that they still have to replace it.

Heat Exchanger Replacement Reimbursement

For Work Performed During or After Recall It is possible that a heat exchanger may have a coolant seepage when the vehicle comes in for

the recall service or sometime after the recall work has been performed. Volkswagen will replace

this heat exchanger free of charge to the customer. Claims are to be entered into the system with

code ZE12, as indicated in the Data Entry Procedure below:

Even if they did the recall in North America and didn't change the heater core at that time as you can read it clearly states that they are responsible. If your car has had the recall ask them if the heater core was replaced at this time, if it has not and the recall notice is worded like ours tell them to get cracking. Also, because many North Americans are wankers they also phone VW and tell them about how they almost died taking sick granny to the hospital on the motorway when the core failed and how they are going to need months of going to a head shrinker to feel better and many times VW will cover it.

That being said, VW also loses money on every heater core they do here and so the mechanics usually rush the job and damage the car in different ways. Many times the mechanics who do the job are still apprentices and have never worked on a Corrado so be prepared to have your car damaged. Personally, I would just get the wrenches out and replace it myself. The heater core how-to that was posted earlier in this thread is actually one I did on my car before the core blew and this is not a hard job. I really like my car so I refuse to let any one touch it if it can be helped.

Cheers, Dennis