Sign in to follow this  
g60rado

Just upgraded my headlight harness -- pics!

Just bought the parts today and installed them. I was losing almost a volt to the lights. After, they were both putting out 12 volts. What a difference!!

upgrade_lights.gif

I recommend this to every corrado owner, and its not that difficult or expensive

The bulbs were replaced before i did the upgrade so both pics have the same bulbs. I cant remember the brand of them though. I might get the Sylvania SilverStar, anyone use them?

Looks like a worth while mod :thumbleft: - did you buy a ready made loom or lash it up with some relays and wire?

Cheers

Mark

I have the ready-made loom by PD Motorsport - plus Hella 100watt Ice-Blue bulbs.

I can see!!!!! :)

The Hella's didn't add much to the already-brighter lights, just made them a little brighter and more white than yellow.

But yes, I'd thoroughly recommend uprating the headlight loom. :D

I've also found the ampage drain on the system is less so I no longer get my radar detector flashing "Low Volts" when I pull up to a junction with headlights on. Which was begining to annoy me... :twisted:

Right - this has spurred me on to turn the pile of wire & relays I bought months ago into a new loom...... (since they've been sitting on the floor at home ever since!) :shock:

question about this...

if you uprate the loom to a thicker wire, but then splice the wire into the wire going into the headlight connector, than isn't the bottleneck still there because the connector has the stock gauge wire? don't you need to upgrade everything from the battery, to the relay, to the connection that goes into the bulb?

Strictly speaking you should upgrade everything, yes. But I think the main problem is the overall length/gauge of the original loom battery to bulb.

I'll let you know if my home made loom using original headlamp connectors makes any noticeable difference....

reason i ask is, the lights on my car are frickin awful (US spec), so i starting picking apart the wiring and getting it out in the open to see how i was going to rig up the relay... and someone has already done it. i can't imagine the lights being worse than they are... so i guess i need uprated connectors too. what i really need is some euro headlights. :x

my corrado is us spec too, and it did make a difference without changing the headlamp connector wires. I just cut and crimped the wires to the new thicker gauge wire.

I didnt buy a kit, i bought all the pieces at an automotive shop yesterday and assembled it in about 1/2 hour.

This diagram helped me out but its for 92 MK2 Golf but works just about the same. The instructions are here.

The way i designed the loom for headlamp upgrade, when i was with PDM, is such that the original harness is only used to energise the relays. All the current is drawn directly from the battery and therefore the oe loom is not a restriction. It should not be necessary to fit uprated bulbs, as the loom itself makes the oe bulbs work more efficiently.

Do you still have any John, wouldnt mind one myself. Do they upgrade the main beam aswell or just the dipped headlights?

yes the looms upgrade both high and low beam headlights.... one of the best mods to be done to any corrado imho

I can recommend the PDM loom.

Have it on mine - works a treat, very neat construction, and reversable if for some sadistic reason I wanna pull it all out.

I've even uprated the bulbs now too.

So if you see a bluey-white v. bright headlight'ed C doing 100+ on the M25/M1... probably me :)

Thanks guys for your comments ref the looms. Cost price is £50 plus p&p. The looms do use oe headlamp plugs, and bought outright are V expensive from VW. I therefore ask that you supply me with your old plugs, as long as they are in good order, on exchange basis. This way i keep the loom price sensible.

Are the plugs the same as the ones on Golfs or anything, I was hoping to just splice the wires in to make it easily reversable. Looks like a trip to the scrappies may be in order.

I ve just got round to actually upgrading my loom I ve had all the parts now for a few months but have never got round to doing now that I have done it I dont know why I haven't done it before the lights are excellent now and for the measly £5 for the parts it's well worth doing it as well :D

Hi Guys

I've just got hold of a load of headlamp plugs from a few srapyards and am going to be making an uprated loom that plugs directly into the present loom, no cutting, totally reversable.

I have enough to make 3 looms so far one for myself and two others.

I just need to source some good quality relays, fuse holders etc.

I will supply the kit at cost so you can wire it yourself, pre made, or instructions to make your own from scratch.

Basically i've got feed up with my lights, wasnt going to pay £30 or more for something that costs a few quid and messes up the loom, this may come out near £30 if you buy brand new VW connectors but, at least the loom is reversable.

Sorry if i'm treading on any toes, but im doing something about it myself now.

G60jet, You can get all the gear you need from Vehicle wiring products. Postage may cost you a few quid tho.

The looms I make are totally reversable. No cutting involved at all. Have you got the plugs from the back of the headlight as well? Or are you going to use some blades?

I have steel toecaps, so my toes will be fine! :D

Cheers

Gavin