Sign in to follow this  
YT

VR brakes on to a G60

Hi all,

Newbie here who's off to look at a G60 this afternoon, currently have a golf Mk3.

I'm wondering what's involved in fitting the VR6 5 stud hubs and brakes to the G60. I have a specific set of wheels that I want to run on the G60 and they're 5 stud.

Do the golf VR6 hubs and brakes fit or do I have to source the parts from a VR corrado?

Thanks in advance

James

rears are easy, you just need new disks, bearings and wheel nuts, and then they just swap over... 8)

Fronts are somewhat more tricky... The VR6 has different suspension from the G60 (it has the PLUS MKIII suspension where the G60 has MKII suspension) so changing to 5 stud requires the full front hub and quite a few other parts... :|

Can't you just get another set of the wheels you want in 4 stud and sell the 5 stud ones? May be easier to do that than to change the car to 5 stud... :|

Good luck anyway... 8)

Not really, they are well over £1500 worth of wheels and only come in 5 stud!

Could anyone tell me exactly what I'd need to do the fronts please?

Thanks in advance

I would get the hubs off a scrapped MK3 and see what the differences are.

The Plus running gear's track (MK3 GTI/16V/VR6 and Corrado VR6) is 30mm wider than your G60. You might be able to get away with just the plus hubs but I have a nasty feeling you will need the wishbones, ARB and drop links aswell.

And then once you've done it, the rear track will be narrower than it should be as the VR6 rear axle is also wider IIRC.

But I can sell you a VR rear axle for a reasonable price :lol:

Seriously mate, it'll be cheaper to get some different wheels or a VR...

Unless you get a pair of new front hubs (from a company whos name i cant remember) and get them drilled to vr spec

To covert the front suspension on the G60 to the Plus suspension on the VR6 is pretty easy. What you will need is the VR6 knuckles with hubs, VR6 rotors, VR6 calipers, and VR6 flex lines. Because the VR6 runs more caster you will also need the VR6 lower control arms with the VR6 lower ball joints. You will also need to get a VR6 sway bar as it is fatter and and uses different end links. You might as well change over your upper strut mounts to the VR6 ones as well and those will also need the upper srping perches.

The rear is a little simplier, you can get away with just the VR6 rear rotors as everything else is very similar but to get the extra track you can also swap out the rear axle beam. This will pusg the tires out of the car a bit so make sure to get 5 X 100 rims with the correct offset.

All of these parts can be from a VR6 Corrado or a VR6 A3 Golf or a VR6 A3 Jetta.

Cheers, Dennis

Is there any difference between the 2.0 16V suspension and the G60's? Would like to put the G60 set up on mine to help it stop and also have lowered suspension from a G60 that i'd like to put on - if it woun't fit then I'll sell it now...