Sign in to follow this  
macca

Timing chains ??

Hi

After reading a few posts timing chains seam to need thinking about after 100k, my car has 122k with a good history.

Was thinking will i need to replace the chains and tensioners? leave them untill they make a lot of noise? just replace the tensioners that can be done with out the g/box out?

There is a slight chain noise on start up for a couple of secounds then runs well, are they oil fed tensioners just building up pressure??

All advice welcome, have been over keen in the past and spent £££ doing work that didnt need doing on other cars, I do like to tinker though :wink:

The chain itself should well out-live 100k if the engine is looked after, it is generally the tensionners that might need a little attention.

I'm on 187k on the original chain. VW say it should never need to be changed.

The chain itself should well out-live 100k if the engine is looked after, it is generally the tensionners that might need a little attention.

I'm on 187k on the original chain. VW say it should never need to be changed.

spot on andi :wink: ....i'd heard that VW haven't stated a replacement interval for the VR6's timing chain either

also a lot of people replace the chain and tensioners while in the middle of an engine rebuild just as its just the cost of the chain and tensioners thats the extra cost....a bit like replacing a clutch when changing a g/box

My local Vw Dealers have a Vento VR6 courtesy car that's on its original engine.

According to the service manager the only thing they've have to replace was the thermostat housing.

It has 320k miles on it...

Only ever changed one on AAA engine (under warranty(noisey)) long time ago though, but like above they very rarely go wrong and dont need replacing by time/mileage

Hi

There is a slight chain noise on start up for a couple of secounds then runs well, are they oil fed tensioners just building up pressure??

Are you sure that's not just tappets or piston slap?

The tensioners are just sprung loaded orange nylon or some other similar low wear material. If the engine oil is kept at maximum and changed before it turns into treacle, the chain and tensioners shouldn't need doing.

Kev

Is there a chance the tensioners will give up? has any one had this happen before? or is it just some thing that never happens??

Oil is all ways kept to the mark and I all ways let it warm up before any hard driving.

Just dont want any unwanted heavy expenditure.

Cheers.

macca, Was thinking will i need to replace the chains and tensioners? leave them untill they make a lot of noise? just replace the tensioners that can be done with out the g/box out?

Mate, there is a tensioner behind the gearbox area, this means the gearbox would have to come out and then you may as well do your clutch - lots of money!! Unless the cars gets much louder then I wouldnt bother replacing the chain or the tensioners untill then. I have started my car up after a few days rest before and heard a weird noise which is IMO just the oil getting round the engine, or the tappets literally for a second or 2 then she purs! I think its the concious factor that worries us with the chain as cam belts always need to be done at x amout of miles thats why the chain idea is very good and strong.

Do it the other way round - wait till the clutch needs doing then get the timing chain and tensioners replaced at same time.....

I tried to copy and paste his first question which he added a question mark by, '' can the tensioners be replaced with the gearbox in?'' I was saying no, you have to take the gear box out so its not worth doing just one tensioner and wait till you need the clutch done and do it all at the same time if you didnt understand what I meant. :)

I understand but I was simplifing the point - clutch needs doing? - do timing chains at same time - simple :D