Sign in to follow this  
Andi

Dial-face template

Does anyone have a white (or any other colour really) dial template?

I remember seeing one on a US website somewhere, but can't find it now.

Since I'm unemployed and bored at the mo, might like to whip up some custom (but not too sad) white dials for the C.

Would help if it was VR-spec.. so fuel goes upto 15 gallons (if 12, I can alter it I suppose) and rev counter goes to 7k, red starting at 6.5k. And for the digital odometer, etc too. No analogue trip here ;)

Don't worry, I'm not going to plaster badly pixelated riced C's over my dials. Just finding more excuses not to depress myself further searching for jobs... :)

i have one, or more if you want, but they are all in km/h and the fuel in litres

so you might have to change something

hey... you can't say the quality is too low :D

Edit - I attached the image, so it's thumbnailed, rather than showing it inline. --Andi

That's cool... the litres I don't mind, since petrol is served in litres in the UK anyway. I like the font and the lines - looks good. Might have to loose the pictures though ;)

km/h is a problem though - mph would be different markings, and without mph the dials would be illegal to use in the UK :(

What other sets do you have?

That is my plan - I just need the right template....

Someone must have a MPH face somewhere..... :cry:

Any US readers out there know of one?

andy i'll put you in my msn messegner, then i can send you one with miles... i've allso downloaded it somewhere, so i don't know if the face is 100% correct, but it's worth a try i think

Received, and uploaded for others to use if they wish.

Edit: These are no good for UK users - our dials go upto 160mph, not 140

Hans You got one of them for a late G60, I.e withthe twin LCD display In KLM and 70 and 35 on the fuel gauge mate!! thanks

ohw i understood it wrong.. well the dials are about the same, the only thing that can be different is the rev counter, with a 16v it goes up to 8000 i believe... the rest is the same... just cut out the part where your lcd or km counter is

Edit: Dials attached for G60Jet on behalf of Hans --Andi

With some (excellent) help from Jim (jims16v) - who skillfully laid out the MPH etchings, here are the dials I will be installing.

A mix of Han's blue (the font) and the black dials (the red gradients, etc).

Jim used Photoshop for the MPH markings, then I used Paint Shop Pro for the rest (which I am more familiar with). :)

Looks good mate... I'll be interested to see how these look when fitted :)

andi, is it okay if i put your dials on my site for download ??? i get much requests (allso in the netherlands) for mph dials... maybe i can put them in canadese version now i know how the layout exactly should be

(the canadian version has a mix of km/h and mph)

(the canadian version has a mix of km/h and mph)

We normally have MPH as the main numbers, then smaller KM/H on a inner ring too - but it isn't required, so I'll stick with just MPH :)

How's this...

Edit: Just re-done the km/h ring to include the markings as well. I had to make it a little smaller to make sure the digital panel wouldn't chop off the km/h ring. However, finding it near impossible to line up to read exact correct mphkm/h conversions - so it is as near as I can get it. I am liking this more than my mph-only dials above though ;)

Edit 2: Attachment removed, better version here.

Is there any chance you could translate your "How-To" on changing the dials you have on your site into English? Would be a valuable addition to this thread.

I could check your translation on MSN if you like... :)

Mounting white dials

Underneath you see a couple of images of white dials for the volkswagen Corrado.

The dials i have mounted, are first modified with a photoshop look-a-like program, this way you can put in your own taste ;)

(allways remember that i have the dash of a left hand drive)

S_Oude%20tellers%20in%20dash.jpgS_Schroef%20openen%202.jpg

Left: the “old” dials still in the dash

Right: remove panel to get to the screw.

S_Shoref%20openen1.jpgS_Schroef%20openen%204.jpg

Left: remove screws of the front panel just above the rpm counter and the fuel gauge.

Right: Remove the screw next to the dial housing

S_dash%20er%20uit.jpgS_dash%20gedemonteerd.jpg

Left: thats how it looks when you have removed the dial housing (there is 1 connector, 1 speedometer cable and 1 vacuum hose at the early type dashboard)

To remove the speedometer cable just press the clips on the side of the connector and pull it straight off.

S_front%20van%20dash%20gehaald.jpgS_naalden%20verwijderen.jpg

Left: remove the front panel from the dial gauge. ( 2 screws at the sides of the housing)

Right: Remove the pointing needles, it’s not allways real easy to remove them, so there is a solution: the 2 pionting needles of the fuel and temp. Gauge are best to pull of straight.

The needle of the speedometer and the rev. Counter don’t really need to be removed, on your new dial you should make a cut for about 1cm to the left and 1 cm to the right of the hole where the axle comes through, then just lift the needle a little and shuffle the new dial over the needle.

When you are sure you want to remove the needle of the speedo meter you should lift the needle over the little stick where the needle is in rest position and then let it go where it wants.. mark the spot that the needle is pointing.

On the new dials you mark the same spot.. that way you are sure the speed that is shown is correct.

S_tellerschijf%20demonteren.jpgS_Tellers%20wit%201.jpg

Left: the needles of the fuel, temp, and speedometer are removed succesfully..

Right.. Do i need to give a comment to this one ?

(The other part shown lower is about the changing of the lightning to NEON lightning)

effect without neon lighting:

S_Tellers%20gemonteerd2.jpg

effect with neon lighting:

S_DSCF0058.JPG

S_blauweneon2.jpg

So, here it is...

Had to make a slight alteration to the template in order for the 160 to not be right by the digital display (attached).

andi how do i get it to print the correct size??the one i printed off were the size of an house clock :lol:

I think its worth pointing out that the dial kit is a white background and you can print it on any colour card to chage the dial kits to your required colour

Right, getting a few questions here, so I'll add some more detail.

It isn't an easy job to do - well, I didn't find it easy, since you have to work out all the holes for the needle rest, digi panels, etc etc.

But I'd be able to do it in 1/6th of the time now I've done it once.

The original dials are underneath - so the paper is resting up against the metal (yes, they're metal!) dials. You can poke the holes through into the holes in the metal to help the paper grip in place a bit.

For cutting out the digi-panels, I used a very sharp scalpel. A small craft knife would do the same. A stanley knife would be too rough and imprecise though.

It is easier to line everything up if you take the dials off - the two left needles are easy - the speedo and rev counter, I used a fork to lever them off. You need to pop the speedo over the needle-rest to see where it stops. For me it stopped pointing at the bottom left corner - pretty much the exact location 0mph would be.

The water temp and fuel needles are on crappy plastic things which are a pain to get in the right place when putting back together. Be careful with these, think I was a little too brutal and water temp didn't move when I tested it all... can't be bothered to work this out - will see what happens when I go for a long drive.

The paper is only 120gsm Matt Photo paper. Heavier would be better. Don't know if Gloss would be - I printed out both, and decided Matt - gloss looked a little too shiney.

You'll need a program like Paint Shop Pro, or Photoshop to print the dials out. Goto the Print Preview, and use the numbers in red to set the size. They're in mm/milimetres.

As for the accuracy. The speedo is spot on (nice one Jim!). The rev counter is slightly out, but then they're not exactly mega-accurate anyway, so.... :p

I think that's it.. Any more questions, just ask.

P.S. All donations welcome....... :)

And ...... the dials I designed are for C's that rev to 7k only.

I think the 1.8 16v revs to 8k, so the rev. counter will be wrong. Sorry! :(