Sign in to follow this  
JT

PAS help needed!!!

started to notice when i start the car in the mornings the power steering feels jerky kinda intermitant, but then it seems to clear and operate as normaly after about 1 min anyone have any ideas what this could be ??

no squeling, can this be adjusted it's on a mk2 16v, surely it would be constant tho cos it seems to stop after about a minuite ???

If there is a bit of damp on the belt, it might not squeal but still slip which is where you lose the assistance. Once it dries up no slipping .

There is adjustment, you need to slacken the 3( I think) mounting bolts off and then tension the belt and do the 3 bolts back up.

Might even need a new belt, they are the cheapest ones on the car.

Gavin

You'll find to get to the bolt tensioner its best going under the car.. not hard to sort, spray abit of WD to loosen the bolt otherwise you'll snap it like it did LOL

Try the belt as gaving suggested, or else it may be air in the pas system, im not too sure how to bleed it, but you can take the cap off the pas resevoir and turn the steering from lock to lock a few times, worked with my rover.

I had this the other week you start the car and turn the wheel power steering kick in then it goes heavy. My PAS belt was only about two years old but it was quite worn, changed it and the PAS was fine. Half an hour job

My mates one does this too, its in his 2.0 16V mk2. He says every morning when he starts it there is a minimal amount of PAS then its fine again, he says he just leaves it to warm up a bit and then he drives it, mint!!