Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

insurance ? again?

hi - ive got a 2.0 ltr valver and the insurance companies tell me that it is group 17 ? - the g60 is group 15 and so is the 1.8 so why is this the way?

Erm, its not...

IIRC:

1.8 / 2 = 16

G60 = 17

VR6 = 18

Storm = 19

Are you sure its not because your car is modified, its the equivalent of a group 17 insurance bracket?

I think it depends on the company, I remember someone else on here saying the 16V was a higher group than the G60 and a mate of mine changed his 2.016V for a G60 and was stunned when the insurance dropped £120...

Therefore is it wise to be with such a company in the event of a claim?

As far as the insurers are concerned, any deviation from the spec the car left the factory with is a mod!

bigger brakes for example although theoretically making your car safer to brake etc........are heavily penalised by the insurance companies.......due to the fact that you'll brake later than with normal brakes so therefore make you a bigger risk.....likewise with lowered suspension as you'll be cornering at higher speed sthan with standard

I think its about time they revised the classification for the Corrado- I mean Group 19?????????

The C came out when the precursor to the modern chav was at his peak as far as automobile crime was concerned - now that they've got their own cars (genetically modified using Halfrauds and Ripspeed) car crime has gone down...and so should the insurance groups.....

I dunno.. at the end of the day to the insurance companies, the Corrado is:

* Capable of 0-60 of under 7 seconds, and speeds of 150MPH+

* Regular target for the chav scum

* Usually a write off in the event of a smash, with most body panels etc costing a small fortune!

Unfortunately its no wonder insurance is still so high for it.. I do wish they'd bump it down though, and I agree that 19 for the Storms is ludicrous. Thats into the same league as some big Mercs and TVR's!

Exactly Jim.... I used to work for two of the biggest insurers in the country and believe it or not, they are totally on the ball when it comes to rating cars. The damage assesors are armed with prices of common panels and other parts prices for all makes of vehicle and the groupings are derived from average repair costs, aswell as performance, thievability, rarity and ease of break ins etc etc.

To be honest, the VR6 and Storm being in a high grouping is a good thing as it keeps them away from friggin chavs.

To be honest, the VR6 and Storm being in a high grouping is a good thing as it keeps them away from friggin chavs.

also very well said :D