Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

today I fitted the left hand side of my new speakers woofers and tweeters so its now finished, very banging :lol: also fixed the not hot air problem and fitted a replacement heater fan, just need the sort the direction of the air now :lol: I lost somewhere one of the clips :censored:

Opened my road tax remind - £190 :gag:

mines next month.....will rado's evr be exempt?

eventually found my rebuild mojo, so carried on gas flowing the inlet runners on my 16v head.... after leaving it untouched for nearly two months :(

this weekend plan to finish the inlets and get cracking on the shorter/ smaller and hopefully easier exhaust runners...

Removed the exhaust system - and ordered a Hartmann Cat-back system....:)

Also did some sandblasting on the body to remove some small rust spots ("spot" blasting).......well that was yesterday....:)

Had a new clutch & had the 263 cams fitted (& some other little bits) and then it all re-mapped.

Very happy. Can't believe I had waited this long to do this. It's smoother, sounds much better & goes like the clappers.

I am now offically back in love with the thing now. (I was going to trade it in) :clap:

Thanks Vince :notworthy:

Had a new clutch & had the 263 cams fitted (& some other little bits) and then it all re-mapped.

Very happy. Can't believe I had waited this long to do this. It's smoother, sounds much better & goes like the clappers.

I am now offically back in love with the thing now. (I was going to trade it in) :clap:

How much was that mark, inc the cams?

also interested as to why it sounded better and how as i have some 263's comming at the end of the month ????

The exhaust note sounding better suprised me. I have always thought my friends 92 VR sounds better than mine and I could only guess that since his was remapped (std cams, std exhaust + AMD remap years ago) that the optimised firing etc caused it. I have a Miltek and it now sounds more refined and a bit more impressive. I can only guess it's the optimised timing again along with the longer duration of the valves opening doing the trick.

The cost:

1 clutch (my last was faulty and did 5000 miles)

1 coil pack

some other bits & engine tidying

remap

7 hrs labour

Cams - new from the forum - £250

As Stealth were replacing the clutch, I asked them to drop in the cams and remap it at the same time. I did the head, chains, tensioners etc myself 5000 miles ago. I won't give you the cost as its what I negotiated myself with Vince, but I'm very happy with the results for the money.

The headline figure is + 25 bhp, but these cams are not about the top end... The engine feels stronger, torquier and eager. The torque is way up and comes in much stronger much further down the rev range. It really goes from 3000rpm. It's hard to describe as if you just get in it and give it full blast you are not over-whelmed by it, but drive it a bit more normally then you really start to notice it. One the issues is that it's very smooth so you don't overly notice the extra oomph come in unlike a turbo. Its more subtle than that. Doesn't sound so good so far does it?

Then you start to notice what it's actually doing. As it's much stronger you gather speed much more quickly and find you have to start picking braking points earlier. Pickup is much better. It feels much smoother like a new engine + some. I have an old rolling road printout somewhere and will have to compare it with the new one. They will be a fair bit different!

Also, drive gently with the flow of the traffic on the way into work and the mpg is up. It's like it was a blunt instrument before and now its sharp. It's probably the best money I have ever spent on a car. After 145,000 miles it was probably in need of optimisation anyway, but from a previous rolling road day results, it's basic running before was not too bad.

Oh - I fitted a new rear engine mount last week (the front one I did 5ooo miles ago). I didn't think the old one was too bad after all it's years, but I swapped it while trying to get to the bottom of the clutch judder I had. Crikey - what a difference. The old one had obviouly got soft over the years, but nothing noicable until the new one was in. The engine just feels bolted down properly and the pick up transmission slack is much better. It just helps to make the whole think more precise to throttle adjustments. I would heartily recommend renewing it if yours is 15years old!

Overall I'm very happy.

Fitted my new 50mm front spoiler (cheers Andy665) as i was sick of my 90mm snow plough digging up the road and scooping up road kill. Bolted on propper now instead of with cable ties and wing and a prayer. :lol:

Changed black angel eye head lights back to original lights with black interior details.

Replaced rear brake lines with some copper ones. The old lines failed my mot. When i cut the old lines open they were mint with nice thick walls. :mad2:

Replaced outer cv boot after mot guy ripped the old boot apart. :mad2:

Fitted a mk1 golf alloy water flange to the side of the head after the plastic one started leaking... AGAIN! Thats the 3rd one in 18 months and they were all genuine vw parts. I hope that is the last time i have to go near the flange of doom. :tongue:

Stripped out dash ready for JSB shift lights to arrive.

Skinned my knuckles a few times just for good measure.

Dropped it 40mm on springs & shocks, clayed it, 3 stage meguiars paint treatment, tech wax also on top, put me newly purchased bra on and fitted me "I love speedbumps" sticker

Picture321.jpg

Think I might go to bed now cos me arms hurt :lol:

I've decided to follow the "nmahi" guide to Corrado maintenance and cleaned out the throttle body as per his guide. After about half a tonn of dirt and rubbish the car does feel better and the exhaust note has a crisper note. Wasn't expecting that. Thanks once more nmahi, what have you got lined up for me next.

today i have fitted strut top mount ×2 & oil & filter have got a some moor jobs to do tomorrowPhoto0093.jpg[/attachment:2becc37h]

I removed front seats...

Why? Dont know really... I think im going to clean the carpet, thats why :norty:

Mine was nice and simple. Now i am permanently in the UK and using the VR daily, I checked the tyres all under pressure but consistent with each other. Then it was awater and oil check levels good and oil still clear. Job done ready for another week of driving :dance:

fixed my water leek :dance:

& now my sopiler is not working :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Finished polishing the bonnet, so that's both wings and bonnet done now. Also primed my number plate light cover replacement and put some paint on the rear badge (going body coloured).

Not sure what's next, more polishing and painting I think.

F'ing 8 valve.....

Abandonded it in Morrisons car park and got a taxi home....