Sign in to follow this  
CJ 16v

URGENT! Scorpion & MillTek - which to choose??

Apologies it's not about a C, but I have a golf MK3 16v and I need an exhaust.

I like the quality reputation of the milltek but I much prefer the tailpipe of the Scorpion Boxer.

I want a good burble, and sweet note but not a chav sound where it's like the mating call of the SR Nova!

Has anyone heard either system, or better still, got either system????? Obviously a 16v 'Rado is a fair comparison.

I have to order tomorrow and they're the same price! I'll be mail ordering them so can't afford to get a system that sucks or doesn't fit right.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out here guys, I'm torn between the two and I have never seen either one in the flesh.

Thanks folks!

I've looked at them and still I'mnot sure...why do you plump for Magnex?

I'm not too keen on their twin tail pipe design!

I've also read here that they are really quiet - I want people to at least konw it has a performance zorst, otherwise I'd buy OE....?

I can't - on a tight budget. :(

Wishing I could though, but it needs a shed load of stuff done and I only have so much cash! Typical.

supersprint definitley nothing else comes close,

those magnex twin tail boxes have a nasty plate inside where the flow is split, its like a brick wall, very nasty,,

german bastuck systems are also good, think g-werks can get these now,,

Has anyone got or seen / heard a bastuck?

Never heard of them before until i came to these forums....

Absolutely right - we have a GSF and ECP locally here - I used to work in ECP!

Thing is, although the OE is a great quality part, I always like a fruity zorst - I'm a big kid really!

Ah, you want the Corsa sound thing after all... ;)

How about a standard exhaust and an induction kit instead? That way you only annoy the neighbours when you're gunning it, but it's a bit quieter cruising and pootling.. (If you ever pootle.)

If it sounds like a corsa then I'll shoot myself!

I'm fitting a K&N as well as it happens.

I suppose I just always liked to way a car feels when you have a sporty exhaust, kinda like it's a sporty car.......;)

Each to their own I guess. It gets kinda tedious seeing yet *another* Subaru with an exhaust outlet the size of berkshire bouncing along the ground cos the suspension is too low..

Subtle is good, IMHO. :)

Well, that's why I want the tailpipe to blend in to the car and I'm only dropping it 30mm on eibachs, running factory 15" wheels - I like the subtle thing too.

But I still want people to hear me and go "Mmm nice sound".

OK, I want to hear it.

Well I've heard a Milltek exhaust on a 2.0 16v Corrado and it sounded pretty meaty. Too meaty, really, for my narrow terraced street - you can really hear it all the way up the street. And that was only at 1000-2000 rpm, too...

I understand Milltek to have a better reputation amongst non-VR owners too than VR owners, judging by other threads I've seen on the forum, so I'm sure it'll be a good buy.

I have no experience of the Scorpion exhausts, other than that they have a name that inspires images of baseball caps on backwards and bad boys driving 1.2 corsas with blue lights underneath at 35 mph over speed ramps with four mates in the back...

Just based on the name, given that choice I'd have the classy-sounding Milltek.. ;) :)

Get a Magnex. It costs almost exactly the same as the Milltek, but it'll actually fit and it's not a chav accessory like the Scorpion :)

However, the daddy of all exhausts is the SuperSprint. It'll cost about £80 more than a Magnex but it's damned good stuff.

And as for a supplier, just as Vince ;)

Interesting......

I know the Scorpion name is a bit Chav-related, but it's a better looking pipe on a golf....

But if the Milltek is a good sound for me (sounds like it is) then maybe....

...oh bugger - I hate making decisions!

Hopefully the Milltek will fit better on a golf than a VR Corrado (see other threads for fitting problems, I'm saving for a Supersprint). Had a Scorpion on a mk2 16v golf and thought it was good, although had to get rubber mounts with the chains in them to stop it knocking. The best fitting exhaust I've had was a SS Jetex system on a 8v mk2, no issues whatsoever and no droan. And was comparatively cheap.

Magnex and Milltek are similar quality, although I think some people have had fitting issues with Milltek.

Don't touch Scorpion with a barge pole- harsh, loud, don't fit very well.

Bastuck have a growing rep, and Supersprint are the daddies.

Have you got a Powerflow dealer near you? As your car is lowered, a custom fit job might be best. Best sounding exhaust I've had was a Powerflow- nice burble and pop on idle and a deep throaty sound when booting it- not stupidly loud or boomy either. You can choose the sound too.

both sound great but i think the miltek edges it mine sounds awesome and jmr can get you a great deal for a miltek

I think I've reached a decision after talking to a lot of people...

...and it's that I want the Scorpion for looks and that bit of rough in the sound dept. I'm sure I'll fetch some flak, but a mate had a Scorpion on his Saab turbo (big power modded) for 8 years and it was sweet, and another mate had them on clios, and e36 bimmer coupe and more, and never had a single complaint - and he's a fussy 'stard too.

I've NO doubt that the Milltek is a good system, and I will not knock it. It's just that many people say it's barely louder than std (I want a bit more than that) and the main thing is that the one peice you see - the pipe - looks pants on the Milltek to my eye.

I'd spend days looking at it and wondering if my local powerflow guy could chop it off and weld on a boxer type letterbox pipe. And that buggers my warranty.

So it looks like Scorpion for me, for good or bad. Thanks to all for their opinions, but I have have that tailpipe, with or without loudness.

Next week it'll be on and I'll let you know what I think.

the miltek is much louder than standard and reminds of the impreza sound as it pops when you take your foot off the throttle,never quiet ask my neighbours haha

Yeah, but yours has cams, headwork, manifolds......

That has to be a factor, doesn't it?

Don't get me wrong - I'm keen to hear your opinion, but my car will only have a 57i kit.

Damn - my head's pickled again - AAAAARGH!

I have to buy one or the other tomorrow, hell or high water - it's doing my head in! I hate not knowing what to do.....

Milltek!

You know it makes sense!

Go back to their website Colin and listen to the videos again.

Remember how impressed you were with the subtle grumble they make?

The tailpipe will look fine mate. [;)]