W3RKD

G60 owners ...please read this.

riiiiight.... um yeah how did ure eat the valves they dont go down far enough to hit the piston....

WRONG! The G60 engine is an interference engine, get the timing wrong or drop too many teeth on the cambelt when it goes slack and valves WILL meet pistons... :(

Having had one of these bolts effectively destroy my first G60 engine (3 valves and a piston damaged) at under 20mph while sat in traffic, I'm with Daz when he says to REPLACE THIS BOLT!!! :roll: 8)

For the couple of quid the bolt and washer will cost you and the 20 mins to fit it, it could save you the cost of a new engine/ engine rebuild... makes sense really doesn't it?!? :wink: 8)

The bolt should be replaced with one from a MKI Golf 1.8 GTI (DX engine code) which is NOT a stretch bolt, unlike the one in the G60 engine as standard. It's a direct replacement with only a small blob of thread lock and the washer needed to complete the replacement. The old bolt can be removed with a reasonable length ratchet by putting the car in gear and asking a mate to push like **** on the brake pedal as you loosen the bolt off. It really is THAT simple... 8)

potatonet, cam timing? or just timing on the distributor? It's only the cam timing that'll eat your valves... ;)

potatonet, you lucky sod! 180 degrees out on the crank normally eats at least one valve... :|

The part numbers you need are...

Non stretch bolt - N 040 106 4 (VAG)

Washer - 068 105 193 A (VAG)

can someone confirm these part numbers as stealers are no help(surprise surprise :mad:) and say they are not availabe.

cheers.

Those numbers are correct. Bolt fits DX, JJ and EW engines. M14X1 5X40

Are they looking at a 1983 model year 'D'.

Gavin

According to the Bentley the PG is a non-interference, but I have heard of people bending valves which suggests otherwise.

There seams to be a little confusion whether the G60 is an interference engine or not. I think all of VW's 8v engines are, but the pistons on G60's have a different crown so who knows for sure?

I know of at least 4 owners who can testify that the PG and 1H engines ARE interference no matter what any of the books say! Some of the garage manuals say they are, some say they're not...

There's 2 people here in the last 2 posts who can prove they are! :lol:

The part numbers you need are...

Non stretch bolt - N 040 106 4 (VAG)

Washer - 068 105 193 A (VAG)

can someone confirm these part numbers as stealers are no help(surprise surprise :mad:) and say they are not availabe.

cheers.

I just bought these two items from the dealers in MK - they are available but may have to be ordered in for you. 8)

h100vw is it a 83' d reg i need then?

garry cheers mate, must just be my dealership :roll: , ill try another.

h100vw is it a 83' d reg i need then?

garry cheers mate, must just be my dealership :roll: , ill try another.

You want to specify the DX engine code.

The 'D' is VWs year indicator. It runs from july to july or something similar. They only did the 1800 MK1 for 2 years (in tin top anyway).

The MK1 campaigns were all 1984 model year and had 'E' in their chassis numbers.

Gavin

part numbers are

bolt:-N 040 106 4

washer 068 105 193 A

just over £4 from stealers mine arrived today,but cant get the old bolt out.

regards kevin

They are a complete b****rd to get out!

Not sure what the best advice would be with this so I won't be giving any! All I will say is be real careful not to snap it off inside the crank! :cry: :cry:

i was scared sh1tless about getting my bolt out...it came out with a hefty breaker bar , similar in tightness to a driveshaft nut

maybe ask around see if anyone has a cordless impact gun..mine would wizz one out

i was scared sh1tless about getting my bolt out...it came out with a hefty breaker bar , similar in tightness to a driveshaft nut

maybe ask around see if anyone has a cordless impact gun..mine would wizz one out

I used a breaker bar on mine too - tense moment though!

yes mate tryed that i have a dewalt impact gun and it would not shift it, i then used a 21" breaker bar and socket and cracked the socket :shock: .

going to my cousins garage tomorrow and to try a proper "air" impact gun.

regards a very pissed off kevin :mad:

... put a screwdriver in between the ring gear on the flywheel and the tranny case, as stevemac says. mine was loose so it came off, used that part number and in the US we get the 12 point ones... kinda sucks. looked forward to a 6 point. yeah I am pretty sure it didnt eat a valve... unless that was why they had it for 3 weeks and "couldn't figure out what was wrong". how can I check to make sure I didnt eat a valve, or would i know already, it has plenty of power... compression came back 115 on all cylinders.

unlikely to be a single valve if the compression is the same on all cylinders... 8)

AFAIK the only way to test the valves is to take 'em out and inspect 'em for true-ness... :|

Just tried to order the bolt and washer from VW and its on back order and has been for quite a while. Any alternatives?

its on back order and has been for quite a while.

Same with my dealer :cry: Went there yesterday, they said they needed to order it from Germany. Let's see whether I can still get them myself over in D ...

Tempest