W3RKD

G60 owners ...please read this.

Yega - that's a bolt for a DX engine - you need a bolt for a PG (G60) engnine that is now uprated (10.9) and comes with the washer built in just like the original.

Read through this very thread and it will explain!

Thanks supercharged. Sorry for the silly questions, I've read the thread and tried to understand but sometimes I need to ask questions just to clarify things.

For now I have the DX bolt fitted as that's what we had available, but I did order a PG bolt which will get fitted in the next month or so as there are some bits that need changing on the car that require it to be removed.

Just bought my G60 a few weeks ago, engine was rebuild and a lot of upgrades from a few owners back. So I am not sure if my bolt was replaced. I see the first photo is a 12 point bolt the new one in the photo is 8 point. This is true of every stock bolt being 12 point?

I fitted the new style bolt at the weekend but thought the new type was a non stretch bolt??? I thread locked it and torqued it to 90nm. I see someone says 90nm oiled and quarter of a turn.

Which is the correct procedure?

The DX hex bolt (6 sides) is non stretch.

The new PG double hex bolt is still stretch but an improved version so fine to use.

VW still sell a lot cheaper than ECS or we can supply for you

Hi Matt - Is the crank bolt something you can fit? Just bought a G60 and not sure if the bolt's been changed - better safe than sorry!

Take the drivers wheel off and it's accessible. Big breaker bar for removing and a good torque wrench for tightening. Will also need to lock the flywheel to stop engine rotating.

Wee tip for dealing with really tight bolts like this bugger. Get an extension bar that will extend from the bolt to outside the wheel arch. Put the socket on the bolt then but a jack under the outside end to support it and adjust the jack so the extension bar is level. Now apply pressure downwards to undo the nut. This setup allows you to apply a lot more force as it ensures everything stays in line and that the socket will not twist off the bolt as it would if unsupported.

Is the general consensus that this can only be done with the engine in the car? As I'm planning new paint in the bay and fairly extensive TLC to the engine, dont really want to be jumping around on scaffold tubes with sockets on if it can be avoided

It can be done with the engine out. The problems arise in keeping the crank stationary while putting pressure on the bolt. You can get bolt on gizmos to lock the flywheel if the gearbox is off.

In case it helps anyone else, I borrowed a cordless snap on impact driver - whipped the old bolt out with ease, even on a stand

Happened to Me doing 75 in the fast lane on the M4 lucky it was a Sunday and motorway was quiet so managed to coast across lanes and up a slip road park up and phone the AA "Phew"not recommended !

Greetings from Canada!

So glad I found this amazing forum and in particular this thread.

I was able to purchase the new version PG bolt and get my mechanics to put it in no problem,=m. 20 minutes in and out on a hoist.

One potential threat removed.

My car sits at @33,000km and still runs strong as my DD.

thanks again for this forum and thread!