Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

Tee Hee!! Local Yoof Burn down Speed camera near me!

Just heard on the radio, that £50 Grands (Didn't think they were that much) worth of Gatso Camera and trailer used on A66 between Darlo and Stockton has been torched.........

Tee Hee!

Will try and get some pics soon!

well done that man! I noticed that camrea on monday, first time I'd been up that way for a while, never noticed it before.

best thing for them

Theres a Gatso outside a pub down the road from me and every Fri/Sat night it gets turned round facing the pub LOL

Always nice to see......... especially with a tyre slung around it's neck...... but-

The revenue raised goes to the government (less the camera partnership's 'netting off' to pay for the cameras, wages etc)

20 burnt out cameras = £1m less funding to the government.

And a 1m shortfall in income gets made up by .........?

All taxpayer's money in the long run.

Weyyy!! :D I hated that camera... makes no difference tho, the A66 is so well patrolled by those undercover silver skoda's that I wouldn't dare speed :( which is really annoying between stockton and middlesbrough where its a 50 limit for no good reason!

Always nice to see......... especially with a tyre slung around it's neck...... but-

The revenue raised goes to the government (less the camera partnership's 'netting off' to pay for the cameras, wages etc)

Wel considering this bunch of feckers have poured more money down the toilet than any other Govt in living memory; Burning them gets my Vote - When they cant hide behind stealth taxes, they might have to tell the truth.

G-Team- Lol!!!

Shilkadaddy- What silver Skoda's?????? Only seen marked ones! Mmmm better stop ragging my car down there then :(

No Pics Yet :( But pinched this from local news website:

Speeding driver may be behind camera fire attack

A VANDAL has been warned they could be jailed for setting fire to a speed camera designed to cut accidents on a North-East's blackspots.

The Gatso camera on the A66 eastbound carriageway, opposite the turn-off for Urlay Nook, was destroyed.

Tyres were placed around the camera and trailer and set alight on Tuesday night.

It is feared the lack of a camera could lead to an increase in accidents on the stretch of road, near Longnewton, known locally as Death Mile.

Mick Bennett, of Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership, said: "Whoever did it has not given any consideration to people's lives. The camera was put there to protect people."

In the past nine years, there have been 41 incidents on the stretch of road, resulting in 83 people being killed or injured.

Mr Bennett said: "There is £40,000 to £50,000 worth of damage there.

"If they get found guilty at court, they could well get sent to prison.

"In actual fact, it was the second attack in three days. They poured petrol on the base of it on Saturday.

"That did not do any damage, but I suppose they have come back, seen that the camera is still there and decided to finish the job off."

Mr Bennett said mobile cameras will be set up to ensure speeding motorists will still be caught.

Police believe it may be someone who had been caught speeding.

A man has also been seen placing traffic cones over the lens of another camera in roadworks on the outskirts of Hartlepool. Anyone with information is asked to call police on (01642) 301552.

"Police believe it may be someone who had been caught speeding."

Bloody typical, what sort of genius does it take to work that out...?

It is feared the lack of a camera could lead to an increase in accidents on the stretch of road, near Longnewton, known locally as Death Mile.

Mick Bennett, of Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership, said: "Whoever did it has not given any consideration to people's lives. The camera was put there to protect people."

So obviously people slowing down for the camera and then speeding up after they've gone past it are all therefore much more considerate and safer drivers as a result. Oh wait, no sorry, they're not.

In the past nine years, there have been 41 incidents on the stretch of road, resulting in 83 people being killed or injured.

80% of these have been in the last 3 years since the camera was installed...

Shilkadaddy- What silver Skoda's?????? Only seen marked ones! Mmmm better stop ragging my car down there then :(

They maybe don't go beyond yarm... but between yarm and middlesbrough on the 50 limit of the A66 they're always up and down there catching people! :roll: Although I have to say they're not that stealthy, you can spot them by the 200 additional ariels on the back of the car, and the luminous jacket wearing police man driving them :lol:

Theres quite a few undercover police cars round here... I've seen those silver skoda octavia RS's, a Honda Civic and potentially a BMW 6 series - it was behind me, and I could see two sqare blue lights behind his grille :?

Christ the police up there sound like right knobs.

I can believe that 80% of the accidents have happened since the camera was installed.

It angers me that the an accident blackspot (locally to me) will have a camera installed when there has only been 3 accidents in the last 3 years!

Look at these stats

http://www.kentandmedwaysafetycameras.o ... m#f_thanet

agreed that the cameras arnt used correctly but it still the same if you dont break the law 10 million cameras wouldnt be a problem. so stop whinging as they are not going away. just as bad as the national speed limit set by a woman who didnt drive.

most inventive way i have seen to destroy one was someone emptied a can of expanding foam into a drain hole on a gatso

most inventive way i have seen to destroy one was someone emptied a can of expanding foam into a drain hole on a gatso

:lol: That'd be pretty funny to watch :D

Yep....we have to foot the bill for their replacements, so these vandals are in effect burning our money. Still, I don't think there is a more satisfying way to waste money :D

yeah we all hate the f**king things but we paid for them to be put there,we pay the fines then someone who you all admire burns them causing 50 grands worth of damage then we fork out another 50 grand to repair it ........errrrrrr....makes sense that ........not