Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

timing chain guides vr6

just bought timing chains and tensioners today in preparation for getting them changed, but i overlooked buying the guides do these need to be changed?

the guy who is doing it for me has done this job a few times before,he told me he is going to take the engine out completely and at the same time change the big and main end bearings, all for £400 labour including changing the clutch

Bargain i thought

pity the clutch kit is backordered from vw

sounds like a really good price to me

any chance u could post pics of the parts and part numbers..please.. :)

Pretty unusual to be changing the big end bearings on a VR, I've not heard that discussed as a regular thing.. Not sure why you need to take the engine out, either, but there you go.

Yes, replace the guides at the same time - they often break before the chains become a problem.

Timing chains and clutch job is usually considered around 10 hours work, so your £400 isn't a bad labour rate, particularly as he's planning on lifting the engine out!!

I thought i was common practice to remove the engine to do the chains, but as i found out when i had mine done its possible to be done while it situ. Great when you find a mechanic who doesn't mind you helping out :) nice to see how things work.

If your paying to have the chains done, id advise replacing the whole lot, chains, guides, tensioners, gaskets and the odd bolts too. The other parts are small change really after you've bought the chains and tensioners.

I posted my list recently - have a search coz I can't remember where.

I'd say change the guides, not so much because of wear but they do tend to get brittle with age