Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

VR6 wasnt starting-is now

Hey there, Yesterday i jumped out of the VR6 and went back to it 5mins later.It wouldnt start-turned over fine with good speed but just wouldnt fire up.So popped the bonnet fiddled around with the wires highlighted in pic.when i did this a bit of smoke appeard.So i towed it home,to then look at it today.Checked all the fuses etc then checked for a spark and couldnt get one.So then went back to the wires previously mentioned and fiddled with them and the car started no probs! but i want to renew these wires and the part there connected to so it doesnt happen again as the covering protecting the wires from the engine heat has worn off through time.

So can somebody please name this part?

Cheers Fraser

I will do Joe.Its been running perfectly until friday when it wouldnt start.Now that its starting again its running great,i just dont want to be somewhere and it happens again-peace of mind.Reggit i dont have a clue what it is-its located just behind the distributor?

Id love to get it sorted out today as iv got few things todo.

Cheers Fraser

There was a recall on the VR6 to correct wire chaffing in that area.

Smoke from wires usually indicates a short, so I'd thoroughly inspect the wiring around there.

Details of the recall here

Part No. 1H0 973 103 B. Not sure if it is still available? It's called 'flat contact housing with gasket connecting piece wiring harness for engine' to be precise ???