Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

What may need to be done soon - 83,000 VR6

VR now approaching 84k miles - is there anything I should be thinking about to ensure the engine continues to run sweetly? Cheers

This is the mileage where alot of stuff wears out, I'd be looking at changing all service items inc leads etc, all belts, fluids and any worn pipes plus checking the sensors on VAG.CAM

Once you know the engine is good then start thinking about replaceing all the suspension and bushes and the same with the brakes too.

Er, don't scare the poor man Supercharged... Things can start to wear out at this age but it depends on how the car has been driven.

It's worth plugging it into VAG-COM and just checking there's nothing un-towards going on there. Chances are you'd have spotted it if there were, but there's no harm in checking. If not, then the usual changing of liquids, belts and plugs is always a good idea.

As it's a 10 yr old car (near enough) then chances are that stuff made out of rubber isn't going to be at it's best and could do with a refresh. Most people seem to go for uprated parts when you're replacing them as you tend to get quite a lot more from just a bit more money. However, as soon as you start changing stuff just because it might need doing you have to be prepared to be very poor, very quickly :)

Good luck :D

to be fair - if it ain't broke don't fix it! It may be turning 84k but as the clock turns from 83,999 to 84k it ain't gonna suddenly start falling apart. If it doesnt need anything done and drives fine then I wouldn't worry about it. People complain about Corrados being expensive cars and they certainly are if you change plugs and leads etc that are in good working order. Don't hammer it and regularly change the oil - and deal with any probs when the present themselves. I wouldn't worry or spend money that you wouldn't have thought about spending 6mths ago.

If it's running sweet as you say then I'd leave it alone.

You changed the oil 7 years ago?!

I'm hoping he's joking... or at least done a good few oil changes since ;)

Hi all - thanks for all the helpful chat - yep was joking about the oil :D It does seem to be running fine - I suppose I was really thinking about engine chains. I've had a number of VWs and always used to change the cambelt pretty much as soon as I bought them - (heard many horror stories) - but there's no cambelt on the VR right !! Excuse my ignorance!

Thought that was your point. We were stringing you along until you came out with it! ;)

VR has timing chains. Use the search, lots of info about the place.

At 84k miles they might be iffy (but it's unusually early), but they might have another 50k to go.

Yup, the VR has timing chains instead which will need replacing at some point. However, if the car's been looked after and had regular oil changes then they could be alright as far as 130k, if it's been abused they might need doing at 90k. I guess you're probably alright for now, but if paranoia is paramount, you can always take the cam cover off and take a look at the tensioner as it's the weakest point in the ha ha chain :)

mine's done 150k and i havent done anything with the timing chain yet.

they do clank a little though. but its a performance clank. yeh.

Mine's on 182K km (approx 113K miles) and I've only had to change the plugs, HT leads and cam sensor...

Oh and the oil!

Current car has 135k on the original chains and clutch.

I have owned a vr6 with 160k on the original chains and clutch.

Both were motorway cars though.