Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

Yeah it was some copper headgasket with the recomended type of copper spray gasket to seal it but there was no way it was working.

Tensioner all good although I will be fitting an 8mm shorter belt as I had to relocate one of the idler rollers, the belt is tight enough now for everything to work just fine and charger belt slip is not likely as it has 180 degrees of belt contact; although a shorter slightly tighter belt is never a bad thing!

Running stock G60 injectors for now (that's what the BBM chip was coded for) and a 1.8T style FPR that is variable up to 4.5bar of fuel pressure, it might be the FPR spring pressure for a given pressure is less then the stock item, although as the set-up is not using stock parts, short runner intake, large intercooler etc then that may be throwing the fueling off. The lambda probe may well be providing full adaption to the ECU although I can tweak the mixture at idle some more by using the CO Pot to bring it down a bit, especially as it only seems to do it on idle.

I'm mighty impressed Yan, hats off to ya! I'll defo have to pop past when I'm up your neck of the woods again and have a gander.

How close are you from taking for a test drive and enjoying the fruits of your labour?

Blimey, it must have been a while since I could last be bothered to do anything car wise.. typical that I get the motivation again now it's bloody freeezing cold :epicfail:

Anyway, after a slight issue with the 'test' charger (took a small lump out of the scroll whilst trying to remove the woodruff key on the mainshaft for the balance weight) I managed to source a replacement charger from ebay off a 81k G60 that had already been rebuilt once for the princely sum of £175 delivered - which was nice..

Finally got around to stripping it today to see if was ok, my original plan was to strip it, send the casing to BBM in the states for their CNC milling porting process and then down to G-Werks for a rebuild. After looking at the charger it's not as good as I would like; so instead it's off to G-Werks for a stage 5. There is some fairly heavy grit damage on the scroll and some on the casing, it will still work but is not as tidy as I would like, so I can't justify getting it CNC'd.

Luckily Bar-Tek are now selling scrolls with 0km on them for 700 euros so the charger that I broke is fixable as well as being in exceptional condition so I will still be using that one in the longer run for the BBM process.

Need to have a fiddle with a couple of bits whilst the charger is off for rebuild but with a bit of luck I should have all the parts I need to put the car back together completely by the time it returns, then it's just a case of sorting the rough ECU settings up (timing, idle screw and CO).

It's only been 4 years in the making, hopefully it will be worthwhile and I won't be disappointed, although I do expect to have to spend some money (more of it :? ) on new brake and suspension parts as the car has been parked up for over 2 years.

So when do you think you might have it running again? 700 Euros is a fair old wedge, especially at the moment.

Yeah 700 euros is A LOT!

Glad to see you've got some motivation/time again. Been looking forward to seeing this running, as you say it's been a while.

So without trawling back through your thread, are you running standard Digifant management? Do you have the means to map it yourself?

Yeah 700 Euros is a lot but that is in reserve for the future, it's more a question of me being picky about the new spare charger not being as good as I would like, it will still work but I can't see the point of going through all that hassle for something that is not as good as it could be.

Yes to standard Digi (for the moment at least) and I do have a Gunsons gas analyser and timing light which is enough to get it to work fairly closely to spec. It will need setting up properly for CO on a more accurate piece of kit in the longer term though.

Little update.

Charger is at G-Werks for some stage 5 action as I type this, new belt ordered from VAG, got a new fuel rail loom to eliminate any issues with the old one that might be there, new heater blower motor as I robbed the old one for the nugget.

As soon as the charger is back then it will be all back together and the onto getting the timing and CO set as well as I can manage with the kit I have.

Slam panel will be going in for shot blast then respray as it's been cut to accomodate the intercooler, still got some wiring to do for the centre console gauges but will do that when the car is mobile as it will be easier out on the drive.

Probably get the front crossmember, radiator support panel, front bumper brackets and front bumper ironwork off to the shot blaster and then dip galvanised so they last while I am in the area too.

Whoot, some progress Yan...it's all good :)

So apart from the above, is there much left to do?

Glad to hear this is back in progress again mate! Can't wait to see it all done!

Whoot, some progress Yan...it's all good :)

So apart from the above, is there much left to do?

Nope, it's all been sat waiting on funds and a rebuilt charger, couldn't see the point in fitting a worn charger that I will have to take off again as soon as it is running.

There will be some tidying and modding to get it looking as I want obviously but that's more turd polishing than actual function issues.

With a bit of luck I should get the charger back later next week so I can get it all fitted up the week after when I get some time.

Nice to see you active on this.Can't wait to maybe compare notes in the metal one day.

Likewise, bet we both end up going away and doing some tweaking after too..

Right quick update.

Charger is due from G-werks tomorrow.

As my charger bracket was starting to look a little minging left as bare ally I decided to remove it and paint it. This has resulted in my 4th revision to the pulleys and belt tensioner but it's an improvement and I might actually be happy with it this time! Ordered some new pulleys from VW, only downside is the belt length needs to be measured again :(

Spent the last 6 hours hunched over the engine bay mucking around with the wiring loom, I needed to remove pin 24 from the ECU plug as the rev counter was not working (early cars use terminal 1 on the coil, later models use a signal from the ECU at pin 24) so as I ended up pulling half the loom out to do so I though I would pull the rest out and re-arrange some bits I wasn't happy with.

Still need to re-wrap the wiring loom, refit the ECU plug etc, then refit the charger and work out a belt length. With a bit of luck and the correct size belt I should be back to a running condition next weekend.

Realised late last night that my new belt routing plan was an :epicfail:

I was going to end up running the water pump in reverse :scratch: :wave:

So it was back out into the garage this morning armed with an aircon water pump pulley and time to check the clearances. As you can see in the image below (in crayon) this is the new plot for pulleys. Only the coloured circles are where pulleys are going to be yellow = ribbed belt, green = v-belt), it's just so I know where to stick them that I used the image. The red line is the 6PK ribbed belt that drives the charger and the blue line is the V-belt that powers the PAS and water pump.

Thanks to the offset behind the water pump V-belt pulley the ribbed belt passes underneath/behind with plenty of space (strange almost like it was designed that way..). This setup will also remove some of the loading from the ribbed belt which will hopefully reduce the chance of slip and give me some redundancy if the ribbed belt breaks.

I am hoping that with upsizing the idler from 78mm to 90mm and the slight tweaks that the shorter belt I currently have will fit, just waiting on the charger in the post to find out...

Realised late last night that my new belt routing plan was an :epicfail:

I was going to end up running the water pump in reverse :scratch: :wave:

So it was back out into the garage this morning armed with an aircon water pump pulley and time to check the clearances. As you can see in the image below (in crayon) this is the new plot for pulleys. Only the coloured circles are where pulleys are going to be yellow = ribbed belt, green = v-belt), it's just so I know where to stick them that I used the image. The red line is the 6PK ribbed belt that drives the charger and the blue line is the V-belt that powers the PAS and water pump.

Thanks to the offset behind the water pump V-belt pulley the ribbed belt passes underneath/behind with plenty of space (strange almost like it was designed that way..). This setup will also remove some of the loading from the ribbed belt which will hopefully reduce the chance of slip and give me some redundancy if the ribbed belt breaks.

I am hoping that with upsizing the idler from 78mm to 90mm and the slight tweaks that the shorter belt I currently have will fit, just waiting on the charger in the post to find out...

That looks like a winner Yan.

Get that charger on. :)

Charger trial fitted to establish a good belt length, luckily the slighlty shorter version I bought fits nicely so my final belt length is 1285mm and is the one used on a V5 Golf. I can get a 1275mm belt if this one is slipping but without cranking the engine to set the belt tension it seems pretty good.

Waiting on a new G60 idler pulley from VW to replace the one I have used in the mock-up as that's bust, need to paint the charger bracket as it looks nasty compared to the rebuilt charger. Then it's tidy up the electric spaghetti, refit the various parts and fire it back up!