Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

I concur.

Any chance of some more pics?

Are you taking the engine bay back to bare metal and respraying it whilst you're there? or just clean up whatever needs doing?

Just a clean up, the car has only done 88k and is still mostly blue coloured in the engine bay.

Rad support panel needs cleaning and repainting so that's on the list.

Checked the merc intercooler, it's way too big for the hole so I need to get another plan in for intercooling.

Got the driveshafts off, exhaust undone at the downpipe end, few other connections off. Got to disconnect the gearbox cables, speedo cable, reverse light switch, clutch slave cylinder, some bits of wiring, the heater pipes to the matrix and then it is about ready to come out.

Taking loads of pics of bits removed so will post them up this evening.

Target date is to get it ready, running and mapped for E38. (along with a few other choice jobs ;) that I am keeping under my hat until then)

Old engine is out, got the gearbox off and started cleaning it up, ably aided by Monseiur Charged.

All went well, no major dramas with any nuts and bolts and no need to disconnect any more bits once we started lifting it out (Nothing left connected)

Took the load on the engine crane and then dropped the cross member and rad support panel out as well. Both in good condition overall, should clean up ok and paint quite well.

Disconnected the coolant system at the cylinder head flange and the metal pipe that runs around the block, left the rad and coolant reservoir intact to keep the integrety of the old engine as I want to use it again.

Gearbox is cleaning up well, had a bit of oil leak out of the speedo drive cable connection and it is in a really good condition, I know it was filled with fully synth gear oil back in '93 so it has lasted really well.

Jobs for tomorrow are to get the gearbox clean finished and then swap the fifth cog out for a mk III Tdi one. Then it's more cleaning and painting bits as well as getting the bulkhead cleaned up and re-waxoiled.

Pics below:

Looking good Yan :) No comedy pics of either you or Mr Charged?! :)

Looking good Yan :) No comedy pics of either you or Mr Charged?! :)

Try the "Show some love Walesy style" thread...

Oh my gawd.. I wish I hadn't now!! Thanks for that Toad!

Swapped the 5th cog over for a mk III Golf Tdi to lower the engine revs, will stick a projected plot up of the differences at a later date.

Going to do a 'How to' for the cog swap along with the supercharged as it is pretty easy really.

Cleaned up some of the rad support panel and cross member but just going to bite the bullet and get them powdercoated as they are in a good state but need to be stripped back to bare metal really.

Some arty box shots below :norty:

Which box are you using as a base then? Standard early 16v?

Yes, the one we took out just yesterday, its only done 88k and has had fully synth oil in it since '93 so it is a good one.

Completed most of the rest of the outstanding jobs yesterday.

The knock sensor is on, along with the inlet manifold and cylinder head coolant flange from an ABF engine.

Got the flywheel fitted up and then the gearbox on, rechecked the timing with the flywheel fitted, it looked wrong but the mark was misread on the flywheel - retimmed it all anyway just to make sure and it is all fine including the rotor arm pointing to number 1 too.

Trial fitted the PAS brackets and pump after painting the brackets, still need to fiddle with some of the mounting parts on the charger bracket to the PAS bracket but otherwise all ok.

Also fitted the charger rear support bar, put the front engine mount on the block just to save me digging through a pile of bits locking for the correct bolts, the upper bit needs to go for powdercoating anyway.

Good work!

Are you going to leave the HT leads in their current position? Might they get a bit warm from the exhaust?

What intercooler are you going to use too?

The water fitting looks like it will be tight to the charger outlet.

Looks stunning though.... Nice action!

Thanks, Toad.

Nah, HT leads routing is yet to be decided.

Plenty of room with the water fitment, intercooler is probably a custom fab one.

Does the ABF front coolant flange point lower that the standard 9a one? Will have issues with my modded 20v manifold with the standard one methinks.

Looking good though Yan, looks very OEM! 8) 8)

The 9A one points towards the alt IIRC, same as the KR (just checked it is the same part number as the KR one.)

The ABF points away from the back of the charger so the clearance is better for this install. It is a bit longer but I will probably chop a bit off it.

nice one mate, when do you think it'll be running and to do list (fairly) empty?

Target is run in and mapped by E38 but I am away for a couple of months at the end of this month.

Target is run in and mapped by E38

i hope my one is ready for then, im so jealous of you!! i havent even sat in my car for months now, and you are nearly finished. looks like its going to be one sexy engine when its done.

Target is run in and mapped by E38

i hope my one is ready for then, im so jealous of you!! i havent even sat in my car for months now, and you are nearly finished. looks like its going to be one sexy engine when its done.

I started this project 3 years ago, it has been a long wait and there is still a good load more work (and expense) to do too.

You going for a screw of G charger on yours?

yeah screw charger is going on. hopefully it will be ready for E38, if its not im going to be totally miffed, as im selling the golf to buy a VW transporter, and ill have nothing to show off in. looks lovely mate, hopefully be an inspiration to all the G60 and 16v people to do something just as good to theirs!