Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

Any more progress, Yan?

Got some issues with front lower water pump metal pipe and the sump oil return outlets clearances but I am in contact with the guys who sold me the kit so I expect a replacement sump with the outlets in the correct places.

Fitting up the cooling system, trial fitted the intercooler with plumbing, need to do a little hose cutting but not too much. Still need to tap the manifold in a couple of places for various anciliary bits - FPR, vacuum line for brake servo etc.

A little bit of progress, just waiting on the sump issue so I can get the thing finished off.

Sounds like your making progress mate, I'll have to try and come and see it how its looking when I can when work isn't grinding me into the dust!

When do you think you'll be able to get it running? Close or miles off?

just read your whole thread, an i duff my cap to you good sir- :notworthy:

would love to see this when its all done, any ideas on a finish date?

Top top work 8) :thumbleft: :salute: :cheers:

just read your whole thread, an i duff my cap to you good sir- :notworthy:

would love to see this when its all done, any ideas on a finish date?

Top top work 8) :thumbleft: :salute: :cheers:

Thank you.

Er, got some bits to do on the new G now so that project moves to the right a little more..

It will be ready for BVF next year.

It will be ready for BVF next year.

you sticking to this one?

:)

Er, no.

Although it might be built, just not run in, mapped insured, MOT'd etc

Bit of an update.

Spent 10 hours in the garage yesterday actually working on the car :shock:

Got the clutch slave fitted, replenished the brake fluid and put the required 500ml out of each corner - nice yellow fluid came out so thats reassuring, bleed the clutch master and slave so thats a complete system back together. Was supprised to find that the rear brakes had not binded on as it has been on the handbrake - although the front calipers have seized on.

Exhaust is now back to a complete assembly too, only needed to fit the front gasket where downpipe joins systems but thats done now.

Refitted the gearbox cables and balance weight, its foulling on the PAS header tank so looking at swapping that out for a later style round one.

Sorted the problem with the front lower coolant pipe not fitting due to the oil sump return points, just ended up blanking one off instead.

Had a furthur re-assement of the belt tensioning setup - decided to go back to the other non Mk III style alt and do a bit of custom fabrication to get it to fit as I want it too, also ditched the extra V belt pulley on the water pump as it was a little close to the inner wing.

So what's left?

Well the inlet manifold needs various vacuum points drilling and tapping for feeds, finish up the fuel and water hose plumbing, driveshafts need reconnecting, get the intercooler pipework fitted up and reconnect the rest of the wiring, then just put the bumper etc back on. Will probably run it on the charger that came off the nugget to see if it is all working ok and then get that refurbished.

its foulling on the PAS header tank so looking at swapping that out for a later style round one.

I've got one of these going to ED38 if that's any use Yan?

Glad to see you are making progress though.....I'm guessing our plan to get both our cars to ED38 this year isn't going to happen then? :wink:

its foulling on the PAS header tank so looking at swapping that out for a later style round one.

I've got one of these going to ED38 if that's any use Yan?

Glad to see you are making progress though.....I'm guessing our plan to get both our cars to ED38 this year isn't going to happen then? :wink:

Nah, cant see that happening, slim chance I might be closer than I though I would be but it really needs a fresh charger on it before doing the 1100 mile round trip to E38.

Watching one on flea bay at the moment as it comes with some pipes too, will let you know though Stu :salute:

Do you think the end of the year?

I am starting to appreciate how hard it is to put a timescale on these things.

:)

I hav't had a chance to get your tensioner bracket duplicated yet,let me know if you need it back soonish.

Bit of an update.

...Refitted the gearbox cables and balance weight, its foulling on the PAS header tank so looking at swapping that out for a later style round one.

slide the tank off it's bracket, get a pair of adjustable pivot jaw plier/wrench things, put a bit of rag around the sides of the bracket to prevent damaging the paint and squeeze it together a bit.

you can then sit the rectangular reservoir a bit higher in it's bracket and the shift weight clears, I can't see any reason why having the tank slightly higher 10-20mm should make any difference to the supply of fluid or it's level.

Beats changing all the hoses and tank over from a later car.

Bit of an update.

...Refitted the gearbox cables and balance weight, its foulling on the PAS header tank so looking at swapping that out for a later style round one.

slide the tank off it's bracket, get a pair of adjustable pivot jaw plier/wrench things, put a bit of rag around the sides of the bracket to prevent damaging the paint and squeeze it together a bit.

you can then sit the rectangular reservoir a bit higher in it's bracket and the shift weight clears, I can't see any reason why having the tank slightly higher 10-20mm should make any difference to the supply of fluid or it's level.

That's what I did with mine, seems ok to me.

I guess you've realised already, but the later units come with slightly different pipework. I'm sure Stu will have his left, or if not, I've got the complete set, that is if Ebay doesn't come to fruition.

Bit of an update.

That's what I did with mine, seems ok to me.

I guess you've realised already, but the later units come with slightly different pipework. I'm sure Stu will have his left, or if not, I've got the complete set, that is if Ebay doesn't come to fruition.

Or the early G60 ones ;)

I always intended to relocate the PAs reservoir at some point just to give me bit more space in what is going to be quite a tight engine bay, the standard G60/later location is much better in terms of tidyness too. Both the intercooler hoses run on the nearside wing side of the radiator so the extra room is worth the effort, should only need to fiddle with the low pressure hose element to get to to fit with the later set-up.

Sat in the garage at the moment, finished tweaking the G60 bracket to take the spring tensioner, need to adjust the alt now to seat the spring correctly.

Well after getting the garage dryed out post water pipe explosion when I was away I have spent the last couple of days working/looking at the car.

As usual it's been 1 step forward and 2 back, managed to get the fuel lines fitted only to find that a part I knew I had has gone for a walk so I am left with a 'T' piece coming off the fuel system without a sensor on the end :shrug: Reconnected the heater matrix hoses, tapped the inlet manifold for a feed for the FPR, looked at the other fittings I bought to connect the brake servo hose and ISV and decided they are too small :cuckoo: , so ordered some new ones and a 19mm drill bit to go with the 1/2" tap I have. Finally worked out the block breathing, quite pleased with the layout although the oil catch can/breather/oil return is all chrome and looks a little chav tastic, need to drain the brake fluid so I can get at the brake servo vacuum hose and get a new one fitted after I have tweaked it. Drilled the block to allow me to use the standard G60 oil return set-up, spent a lot of time looking at the wiring diagrams for additional instruments and trying to figure just how to fit 5 oil sensors/feeds from only 3 connection points :brickwall: Worst bit of that is the bloody electrical sensor for additional instruments suggests that you dont need the 2 low/high oil pressure switches....

No pics because there is more off the engine than there was the last time I took some photos, it looks worse than it is with no inlet manifold but no point putting it back on until I tap the other 2 vacuum connections.

*EDIT* Changed my mind about photos as I haven't put any on in ages! So here is a random messy engine bay pic..

Blimey,back from the dead.

Good stuff.ds like your nearly there but i know what it's like.It seems like you have a 1000 little jobs to do. :)

I'm planning to vent vented boost to atmos and then feed the breather on the block back to the charger.

Are you feeding both back then/neither or just one?

You sound a little down about it all, which is understandable! Stick with it though. Don't let it beat you. :thumbleft:

Blimey,back from the dead.

Good stuff.ds like your nearly there but i know what it's like.It seems like you have a 1000 little jobs to do. :)

I'm planning to vent vented boost to atmos and then feed the breather on the block back to the charger.

Are you feeding both back then?

It's not really dead and I was away for 4 months so that kinda slowed things down a little :)

Yeah, ISV will work in stock G60 form as both an ISV and as a boost pressure limiting system, so a connection onto the inlet manifold and one to boost return hose.

Block breather will go straight to the catch tank, the standard KR 16v block breather hose runs nicely up to the cam cover and I have a hose connector ordered to allow me to run the extra to the catch tank.

Nice one Yan :) Looking forward to seeing this beastie all put together and running! :)

is your head standard?

kr cams?

Is it a kr or a 9a head?

Rebuilt and ported head, KR head with KR cams.

No-one makes any off the shelf cams for an FI 16v but saying that most of the reading I have done seems to lean towards keeping a mild cam in there anyway. The last thing you want with the G-lader is to start shoving boost out of the exhaust valve due to an overlapping cam profile.

Still been fiddling away the last couple of days on it, lots of things coming together in my head, got a few bits on order that should let me complete another couple of systems, next big problem is the bastardisation of the power steering 16v setup towards a G60 one and relocating the reservoir to the washer bottle location. Need to route and sort boost return set-up along with the feed for the ISV from that.

is your head standard?

kr cams?

Is it a kr or a 9a head?

Rebuilt and ported head, KR head with KR cams.

No-one makes any off the shelf cams for an FI 16v but saying that most of the reading I have done seems to lean towards keeping a mild cam in there anyway. The last thing you want with the G-lader is to start shoving boost out of the exhaust valve due to an overlapping cam profile.

Still been fiddling away the last couple of days on it, lots of things coming together in my head, got a few bits on order that should let me complete another couple of systems, next big problem is the bastardisation of the power steering 16v setup towards a G60 one and relocating the reservoir to the washer bottle location. Need to route and sort boost return set-up along with the feed for the ISV from that.

Yeah I wanted to run a abf cam for that reason,as it has less duration that the KR cam,but I have had valve reliefs cut specifically for the kr cam,and the abf cam has more lift sso don't want to risk it.The KR cam shouldn't be too radical although probably not optimal for a supercharged engine.

Nice to see u tinkering about on it again.What throttle cable are u using btw?