Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

OH My God........VAG 1.8T in Clio!!!!

What is it with clios in that colour and crazy engine transplants? There was one exactly the same colour, wheels etc.. not too long ago that had a 2.0l Clio Sport lump with all the trimmings and NOS on ebay that went for under 4K. Totally stripped out inside, and a bucket seat - so maybe not the best sleeper.

Geez, where are they gonna put the baby seat and shopping bags???

only problem is he cant go above 30mph otherwise the body panels start to fall off. Cant see the point really, its not like the clio is exceptionally light (or anything else exceptional for that matter) to make it a worthwhile conversion, I cant see what the advantage of using it as a base would be really.

He probably got the engine for a silly price and fudged it into the car for the hell of it. Besides, it would be a lot cheaper than turboing a renault engine, and the 1.8T has huge tuning potential as we know!

I think the street sleeper look is quite popular at the moment. I know if I had a 400bhp VR6 Turbo I wouldn't advertise the fact, so he's probably of the same school of thought, stealth :wink:

I think it rocks, especially the steel wheels with no trims! The French know how to build small cars that handle well so no worries there. Still, it's on std 1.2 RN suspension and brakes so it won't handle much like a 182! My gf has got a Clio of that shape is it's a nice car. It's done 60K miles and is still very tight, no build quality issues at all.

I think it rocks, especially the steel wheels with no trims! The French know how to build small cars that handle well so no worries there. Still, it's on std 1.2 RN suspension and brakes so it won't handle much like a 182! My gf has got a Clio of that shape is it's a nice car. It's done 60K miles and is still very tight, no build quality issues at all.

Man wot the fcuk have you been smokin??? Throw some over here. French cars are buckets of poop, ive had a peugot and a clio and they were bother utter piss, German engineering is the way forward

I'm all for stealth, just personally i would have picked a different base. to be fair to the clio they're not really bad at all - for a french car ;)

The Clio is a curious machine. It looks butch and solid from the outside (not unlike a German car), but on the inside...oh dear.

My mate has a Clio 182 and it does look a nice car from the outside, looks mean and purposeful, but sit inside it and it just all goes wrong. The French just don't know how to construct a nice interior. The money they over-spend on the chassis and engine tuning is clearly clawed back from the interior budget.

But, horses for courses peeps.... Clios sell in droves, so someone likes em :wink:

Hey Bobby! Say what is French for 'street sleeper' ;)

The money they over-spend on the chassis and engine tuning is clearly clawed back from the interior budget.

I know where I'd rather they spent the money. otherwise everyone would be driving range rovers or mercs :roll:

I know where I'd rather they spent the money. otherwise everyone would be driving range rovers or mercs :roll:

Not entirely surprising coming from Mr "what on earth do you want a windscreen for??" :lol:

Man wot the fcuk have you been smokin??? Throw some over here. French cars are buckets of poop, ive had a peugot and a clio and they were bother utter piss, German engineering is the way forward

I had a VTR and I concede that the interior was held together with crabsticks and ovaltine but at the same time the steering was light and had plenty of feel, the engine had a good load of grunt (quicker than some of the n/a 4 cylinder 'Raddos) and it weighed 900kgs. It was a great handling car. Mine was lowered slightly on Konis, had a Magnex zorst and a BMC CDA filter and it really flew. Evo, undoubtably the best mag available, echos these opinions. The French build great handling cars. What do the press rate as some of trhe greatest hot hatches? Pug 205 GTI, Pug 106 GTI (often in Evo handling tests as a wildcard and does very well), R5 GTT, Clio Williams, Clio 172 and 182. The Mk1 and 2 Golfs also feature but what happened with the Mk 3 and 4!!!! The Mk5 is a good car but the Golf has steadily gained weight to the point where it's not a supermini any more. And the alternative? An ultra rare Lupo GTi or a Polo GTi with 125bhp. It doesn't cut the mustard against a keenly priced 182. I think that comments like yours are why there's this wierd brand snobbery amongst some VW owners. Can't somebody who owns car x like car y or does he have to discount all cars not made by a particular marque? You wouldn't touch a Noble, TVR or a Lotus would you owing to the fact it's not German?

I had a VTR and I concede that the interior was held together with crabsticks and ovaltine but at the same time the steering was light and had plenty of feel

I will agree that the my VTR, despite being exceptionally flimsy (more rattles and squeaks at 17,000 lady owned miles than my 107,000 mile ex-rep Golf!), was a very good little car to drive. It also managed one significant party piece which was NOT feeling vague and distant and 'computer controlled and dumbed down' like more modern cars seem to.. like the MK4 Golf!

I never really understood what people were getting at when they said that cars like the Corrado were drivers cars because of how involving they are for the driver.. but i'm quickly learning exactly what was meant in that respect.

The Clio 172 and 182's are superb cars that deserve every last little drop of praise that they get.. my mates 172 was an absolute blast!

I agree Jim, the Rado does require focus to drive. All of the controls require a good shove! The VTR was very light and the car "skipped" rather than the Corrado which "ploughs"! :D

Which Corrado's were your VTR quicker than exactly? I had an E-reg early 1.8 16v Golf and it killed every VTS I encountered, on the road and the quarter mile.

Having closely examined a friend's VTS, I'm astounded how it can actually be described as a car such is the poor design, engineering and workmanship. The crowning glory is drilling a hole in the rear spoiler so the roof mounted rear washer jets still work, and you just know that Johnny Citroen was scratching his head for days wondering why he had dirty windows and a wet spoiler.

The rear roof spoiler on the Saxo has a little (from the factory) indent in it to allow water down onto the rear screen from the roof mounted washer jet.. so I dont know what you mean about drilling holes? Seems to be a perfectly acceptable solution for it from the factory..

I'm astounded how it can actually be described as a car

I'd consider the Saxo VTS to be a car though because, remarkably, it fills certain key criteria.. it has an engine, seats, wheels, a shell, a chassis and various other key components!

Having owned one I think i'm reasonably entitled to comment on them. They were never designed (or priced might I point out) to be comparable in style or quality to offerings from companies like Volkswagen.. but theres no doubt that they are great little cars which are fast, fun, and cheap to own!

My VTR was ace around town and the low end pull from the 1.6 8v was quite surprising.. i've seen what the VTS can do in a sprint and there is no doubt that they are seriously quick cars! Can keep up with a Clio 172 quite easily and thats no mean feat..

I would imagine that it would be comparable in performance to a lesser powered 4 pot normally aspirated Corrado? I'm not saying it's gonna shred tarmac!

Well all I can say is that I never had drill a hole in any spoiler to get the washer jet to work??? Perhaps he shouldn't be so cavalier with his use of power tools and try to rectify the problem another way. Alternatively he could have gone onto the active web fourm and posted up his problem?

A 1.8 16v Golf had about 140brake didn't it? The VTS has 120 or 130 brake depending on variant and probably has a weight advantage. I wasn't there at these drag races you describe so I can't comment. On paper, there's not much in it so I'm not inclined to believe you "killed" it.

My point is that all cars have their faults and no car is perfect and Germany isn't necessary the holy grail of automotive perfection.

I think that comments like yours are why there's this wierd brand snobbery amongst some VW owners

Bad experiances in the past with various french cars are the reason for my 'snobbery', I also dont think too much of ford after an ex's ka fell to bits within 6 months (new gearbox, suspension, clutch, exhaust). If a preferance for quality is considered snobbery then so be it.

Jim - a VTR keeping up with a 172? surely its got a good 40bhp handicap? although I suppose on twisties thats possible...

- edit -

I can testify, theres very little in it between a VTS and a properly running 16v as I had a few, and was done by a few, while I owned my valver. I certainly wouldnt say I killed any of them though! it was more 'by a nose' if anything.

My faith in multi-car respect is now restored.

The reason that VTR's are popular is that if you're young they're cheap to insure (gp7), realtively nippy, cheap to run, reliable and credible. I would have dearly loved to get a 3dr Oak Green 16v GTi when I got my VTR and I could have afforded the car. Unfortunately the insurance was either a) prohibitively high or in many cases b)unobtainable.

chrishill - sorry for the confusion - I meant a VTS keeping up with a 172. The VTR is nippy, but not that nippy ;)

I agree about French cars being badly made though.. couldn't possibly keep a straight face and say otherwise! But the residual prices of French motors (and lower purchase prices) surely reflect the difference in quality!

which is the faster again? :? that always confused me! anyway, if the VT(whichevers faster) is 120-130bhp, as I said its still 40bhp down on a clio 172 and must weigh roughly the same. Not saying you're not right as I've never seen it in person, but it's a little suprising! a 172 isnt exactly an easy meal for a VR6 until you get your momentum going

VTS commonly 120 brake, some were 130

phase one VTR 90 brake

phase two VTR 98 brake

But many std cars have been rolling roaded at considerable more than factory figures

My point is that all cars have their faults and no car is perfect and Germany isn't necessary the holy grail of automotive perfection.

Of course it is you donger

clios. rubbish.

saxo's. rubbish.

corrados, beautiful cars.

what more needs said?

exactly. lock thread :lol: