Sign in to follow this  
GB_SEAN

VR6 v Scooby WRX ?

I am currently looking at selling my VR due to losing the bug a little and want to try out something else before 'maybe' getting another VR.

Was thinking along the lines of a Subaru WRX turbo 4x4 which you can get for around £3500 +

Has anyone owned both of these cars to make a non biased comparison? And problems likely to face with a scooby. (apart from depreciation)

I can't comment on the bits-blowing-up scenario but the interior in the early Scoobys is pretty cheap and nasty :?

MAFs can be a problem on the Scoobys. And then you destroy the engine if it's not caught in time... (Such is the problem with turbos - it's critical to get the fuelling right!)

As far as performance is concerned, I have no doubt that a WRX will destroy a standard VR.. but hey, that's what you expect, right? Apples vs Oranges, mate.

Performance is closer than I had expected! Especially if you let the speeds climb a bit as the scooby is hardly slippery. Obviously the scoob can destroy the C off the line but with a rolling start in 2nd there isn't much in it.

This is compared against the estate version WRX, standard apart from an STi exhaust. Not sure if it's a different spec to others.

--

Olly

Hmmm, I would look very closely at any around the £3500 price....particularly the gearbox and centre diff. Listen for a grinding noise coming from the centre diff/box. You might be told it's a dry bearing but that's horse dung....

Many of these cars will have been remapped and driven hard, which takes it's toll on the box/diff and clutch....the weakest areas of Scoobs of that age.

Look for evidence of dry cranked oil changes....Scoob flat fours need to have the engine primed with oil before being run after an engine oil change, so the crank sensor connector should be clean where this procedure was adhered to.

Another weakness is the cambelt tensioner....listen for grinding noises at the front of the engine in the middle of the two banks. Cam belts are £100 each and about 3 hours labour, check it's up to date.

The engine blocks and heads are tough, but cylinder 3 runs hot due to the exhaust front pipe being next to it.

Look for modded front pipes (decat). These are expensive and their inclusion will save you a bundle and release 30-40bhp with the right exhaust system.

They're good cars overall and very reliable if looked after, as per any car.

Interiors on early cars are poor but strong, all but the best looked after examples will exhibit some rattles now.

Panels are expensive and thin, so easily dinged.

I've yet to see one rust.

Speed wise....a good standard VR can keep up with an early 215bhp WRX no problem at all, and a H&R/Koni'd VR can keep with it in the bends aswell. If the WRX has been breathed on then the margin is grows. Off boost they are slow, but when on boost the power is delivered strongly and the engine becomes very coarse toward the limiter.

I know all this because my mate has had a succession of Scoobs over the past 6 years, and I've worked on them/driven them/raced them.

Off the line there's no contest, but like Funkster says, after a rolling start there's not that much in it. Beat a WRX once- was doing 70mph and he came flying up behind me- dropped into third and left him behind until he caught up at the next roundabout.

3 of us put our cars to the test a while back, to settle an ongoing dispute which we always got into when out drinking.....i.e. VR6 v WRX v Leon Cupra R. I didn't really care either way as I was 20 bhp short on Leon boy and 50 short of Scooby boy, but they were fiercely competetive with eachother, being both turbo'd!

So anyway, all 3 lined up side by side on a local air strip.....

Scoob ahead of VR and Leon by one car length and stays that way to then end. 4WD doesn't automatically guarantee a win off the line.... it's also about driver skill, gearing, aerodynamics and weight. Only 1 car length between us surprised us as WRXs are supposed to be 5.5 to 60mph?? They don't feel that fast, I can tell you that much....

I have a friend who works for morgan that bought an L reg wrx, 75,000 kms with the close ratio box?, (only did 120 flat out, import model), he melted one of pistons, then bought a new sti bottom end, put it all back together then the same thing happened again! well he' s had enough now and selling up and maybe getting a vr. His car did feel fast to me especially off the line but like most people have said once rolling your theres not alot in it. 8)

what are you looking for in a car?

maybe if you say what you want out of a new car people can come up with some suggestions as there seems to be plenty of people on here with experience of different cars

There's no need to be put off, as I say, just avoid imports and spend as much as you can afford and you'll be alright.

The only car on the planet that is resistant to abuse and neglect is the Toyota Hilux.

With everything else, you take your chances....ALL cars have their foibles.

Remember Scoobies also have 40-50% drivetrain loss.

That 4wd sucks the real power actually being put on the road!

The car is alright I 'spose, but I've only ever met 1 Scoobie driver who isn't a complete c**k - yes, that's cook. Hehe.

Unlike with Corrados - where the cook:top bloke ratio is a lot better.

But then, the scoobies have an extra 30bhp. Power to the ground is probably similar, VR6 and Scubaru. And as has been stated, 4wd always wins from standing starts..

YMMV.

I wonder what Stealth can do to an old VR for £5k though...

Always been kind of tempted by one of these for a little play. Don't think I'd shop the VR in for one.

Was in my mates WRX STI (type R?). 3 door with lots of pink badges anyway lol. Never quite sure of the different variants, but I think the stock power is close to about 280?

It felt bloody nice though and seemed pretty effortless - leave it in 5th and there still seemed quite a bit of useable power. Gear change seemed a little but notchy and unsure though.

Stuck to the road though!

IMO - ok as a second car for something a little bit different, but don't sell your C :)