Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

steering column Universal joint

...unless it's automatic or hasn't got an adjustable steering column... ;)

true, but it's PART of the column so isn't the same part... :p

Anyway, the downside is that the adjustable column is over £600 from VAG! :crazyeyes: :(

Can we get James to knock some UJs up that would replace the originals I wonder?!? ;) :lol:

I know, that's a scandalous price....surely they must want to get rid of the damn things?!?! Shops have 'clear out' sales, so why not VAG? LOL!

TBH, I've never seen a worn steering column UJ....but it might be one of those situations like with the BJs that only exhibit wear at certain angles :x

any ideas why my column keeps moving up and down when its supposed to be locked...(( bloody adjustable ones....better off without ........i love my 8v...))

Try a search.... sounds like the pin that column hinges on has come adrift...or something like that....there's a thread about it where some chap superglued a 5p on the end of his, err, shaft.

Unless you're referring to the Universal joints that connect the bottom of the column assembly to the rack.. In which case I believe there's two different types - one for earlier cars one for later ones.

Also expensive new, I've been told even they're over £200+VAT.

There is a universal joint -type linkage in the column assembly itself if you have the adjustable height column (though it looks more like a CV joint than a standard universal joint). If you have the fixed column there's no such thing..

thats the boy the one at the bottom of the steering colomn sorry my bad should have linked to the other post re this.

Carefull of the year of manufacture,:from VIN number 50 N 012 001('90?) 36 teeth(spleens?) from '91 onwards 22 teeth.The shafts aren't interchangable and cost 380 euro new from stealer here in Rome,you lot could probably get the part cheaper 'cos over here their all thievin bastids within the vw spares dept.

well I hope the one I got is gonna fit, will find out tomorrow. you know its funny, the 600 pound steering column here in the US is 90 US....... the adjustable one right? yeah 90 bones....

yeah,and if you have to change it you'll need the same part/no. of spleens because the small shaft's UJs are welded to the shaft,so you can't mix 'n' match.

So in conclusion, is there a UJ that can be stuck on the end to fix the clunking??

Chris

mmmm i think yes you can but not sure which cars the different sorts come off hope some one does though!

we wait and see, mine has a little click on direction change as do many others i've noticed, no big deal but hope it doesn't decome one either.

Chris

Well, last weekend i changed the rack on my G60 because i'm renovating the whole car,so without the engine and g.box in the way,i noticed both steering rack gaitors were split, i had a spare VR rack and swapped over the steering arms,thats when i noticed the adjuster for rack play opposite the output shaft,i don't need to use it 'cos the vr's rack has only 15000 miles run.

The TRW G60 rack also has this adjuster but a special VW tool is needed to use it,the adjuster is for that precise purpose;removing un-wanted play within the actual rack,loosen the locknut(ZF rack) and just nip up the adjuster.

If i find a way around using that now obseleat VW tool,i'll post up the procedure