Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Steering racks

In my accident with J-DUB, the steering rack has potentially taken a fairly heavy beating... I wanna replace it and have got hold of a couple of other steering racks cheaply which are in very good condition... problem is that I don't know enough about P/S racks to know for certain if they'll fit my G60s properly... :|

The plan is to build up complete new front/rear engine subframes and transplant them into my Grey G60 with J-DUBs engine already attached so that I can make sure that EVERYTHING'S in tip top shape... The one off the Grey G60 will then be rebuilt and fitted to J-DUB with whichever engine I decide to put in there... ;)

One of 'em I bought from Inters complete with a seam welded, powdercoated subframe, powerflex bushes and ARB which was supposedly built for a RHD Golf G60... (this will end up in the Grey G60 with J-DUB's engine, new wishbones, bushes, hubs, bearings etc etc etc...)

The other I bought off Ebay and is reportedly a MKIII item...

"Power Steering Rack suitable for Golf2/3 Jetta/Vento/Coraddo RHD good condition came from 97 car part no 1h2 422 061"

My question is this:

Are either/both of these racks useable on Corrado G60s, and if not, why not? They both appear to be the same externally and they both appear to have the same number of turns lock to lock as the rack on my Grey G60, as well as both having the same mounting locations and pipe locations as each other, and from what I can see, my G60s...

It's not often I ask questions these days... Does anyone here know the answer to this for definate?

I'll post up the part number from the rack I got at Inters later when I get home... 8)

As I understand it, if that Mk3 was a non-GTi model, it should be the same as the early Corrado racks. VR6's "plus" suspension had a different rack, shared with the Golf 3 GTi/VR6.

In fact, all that may be different is the UJ connecting shaft - later cars had more (or less) splines. If you got the UJs with it though, it should still fit fine..

At the weekend i swapped my '92 G60 steering rack with my spare mega low milage VR6 rack,the G60's rack was made by TRW and has 22 output shaft spleens,the VR's rack also has 22 splines but is made by the German manufacturer ZF.

I had to swap over the steering arms because the corrado VR6 has a wider track and the inner ball joints are bigger compared to the G60 TRW rack's arms.

The TRW's inner arms bolt up no prob,the other difference concerns the diameter of the protective rubber boots,the small end which is clamped on to the steering arm is a couple of mm's bigger when you compare it to the G60 rack but just pull the clamp tighter when re-assembling,hope this helps in some way,Cheers.

Hmm. Interesting indeed. How might the inner ball joints dimension matter if for example you were to fit VR track rods onto the G60 rack?

(And you definitely have to clamp up the rubber UJ boot to the new rack - you'd be surprised how much engine noise comes through that if it's not tightly connected to the rack...!)

OK, slightly later than planned (ADSL problems at home :roll: )

The part number on the rack I bought from Inters is 192 422 055 (USA)

Anyone know what that's off and if it'll fit a G60?!?

The track rod's are the same parts for both VRs and g60 racks,i don'y know why ZF's engineers decided to make the steering arm's inner ball and socket bigger than the TRW g60 racks one,maybe because of the increased weight/track of the VR6 model?,all the components can be swapped between the two racks but the Bently manual states that the steering components should'nt be mixed,well i've done this swap and the car's fine,make your own conclusions...

billinjahg60, it happens... Not as often as it used to, but it does happen... :lol:

Supercharged, it's RHD so it's not gonna be an American spec rack! ;) :lol:

The difference is as Veedubbed said.....the brands....

The ZF 'plus' rack is to go with the ZF 'plus' PAS pump....

The TRW rack is to go with who ever makes the PAS pump for 16V/G60.

ZF is green PAS fluid only, MK2/16V/G60 use ATF fluid (or did until VAG stopped using it recently)

Each rack will have been designed to work with the rate of pressure supplied by it's corresponding pump etc etc blah blah...

The definitive answer is stick with 16V/G60 on 4 cylinder cars and 'Plus' for the VR6, but you could always mix and match and let us know what happens? LOL!

Umm, Kev? VAG say that ALL of their racks should use the green PAS fluid and that ATF will kill the internal seals... :|

Good point about the pump though, I'd not thought about that aspect and that the pump may be the difference... :oops:

Feck it, I'm just gonna fit the boogar and see what happens! ;) :twisted: :lol:

My MK2 16V had PAS (same rack as Corrado 16V/G60) and VAG put red ATF in it when serviced....as I say, they stopped using it recently...but they DID used to specify it on non ZF racks/pumps.

Shove it on mate, if it breaks, just stick another one on!

problem being that with 250BHP+ if it does break, then it'll probably end up killing me in the process... :| :?

I'm sure it wouldn't actually break.. it just might go funny on the PAS side of things...

eye, I suppose the worst that'll happen is that the assistance will just go making the steering almost as heavy as it was in my MKI Golf 16v... :lol:

We'll find out for sure next week when I fit one of 'em anyway! :lol:

Thanks for all the help peeps... 8)

It is GolfII front suspension, so MKII golf haynes is probably your best bet... 8)

As long as it's not a R.Bently manual,Sorry,but that manual is an overpriced,badly wrote "technical" book,my opinion of coarse...

As I understand it, if that Mk3 was a non-GTi model, it should be the same as the early Corrado racks.

Hi all, the rack seals in my 1990 16v have seen better days, it needs reconditioning, but I want to replace it so that I can keep the car as my daily driver, does anyone know if the rack was common to other cars, i.e. would a 1.4 Vento/Mk3 Golf have the same rack?

As long as it's not a R.Bently manual,Sorry,but that manual is an overpriced,badly wrote "technical" book,my opinion of coarse...

Not as poorly written as your post :lol:

Only jesting..... I agree, I don't like the book to be honest. I've not required it so far in 2 years of C ownership so it would be a waste of £100 for me. It's American for a start so some of the data isn't relevant to us.

The best Corrado manual for me is the one that's in my head :wink:

And the forum is a better bet than the Bender manual too....

As I understand it, if that Mk3 was a non-GTi model, it should be the same as the early Corrado racks.

Hi all, the rack seals in my 1990 16v have seen better days, it needs reconditioning, but I want to replace it so that I can keep the car as my daily driver, does anyone know if the rack was common to other cars, i.e. would a 1.4 Vento/Mk3 Golf have the same rack?

The rack changed around chassis number WVW******010000 i think - mine is before ('91) and so should yours be - steering rack part number =

192 422 061P - 36 splines

I got a kit that replaces all seals for £45 (bit steep) because I didn't have time to get it reconned as mine is also a daily driver.

Loads of places do a recon rack exchange, ie you get one and pay a deposit then you get the deposit back when you give them yours. Western Power steering in Bristol were very helpful as were Jay Gee in Wolverhampton.