Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Brake Upgrade Options

Im looking to upgrade my brakes in the near future. Im wanting to stay on the standard speedlines for a good while yet but would like to know my options with bigger calipers or whatever. At the moment the options I can think of are.

1. Just upgrade the pads and disks to Pagid or Tarox.

2. Upgrade to late Golf vr6 288mm brake setup.

3. Wait for bigger wheels and get something bigger. (Expensive though.)

Anybody got any other ideas?

I seem to remember a Trevor Rice on the yahoo groups had a different setup behind the standard Storm Solitudes that used Corvette pads or something, anybody know anything about this setup? Wilwood calipers I think.

or a "cheap as chips" option joe fit AtE power grooves.......i felt an improvement over the standard VW discs(still had easy a year left in them btw) when i had mine fitted and they are only £55-ish(+vat) per pair from Euro-car-parts...........and of course AtE are an O/E supplier to VW.......also FYI any brake modification you make has to be notified to your insurer....as they will take your brake mod as a sign that you will be more enthusiastic with your driving and could well charge you quite a bit extra...whereas the power-grooves are seemingly "insurance-friendly"and shouldn't attract any increase in premium

Genuine disks and pads in good condition give the best brakes for road use (unless you drive like a complete chimp...).

Fast road pads from anyone tend to only work well when warm (and can be quite alarming on 1st application on a cold morning!).

288mm Mk3 brakes work well on the VR and can be picked up cheaply from breakers.

And before anyone tells me I'm talking rot I should just point out that it is my opinion and it's based on experience of actually trying thm on a C... :D

So far I think im leaning towards a 288mm setup with ate powergrooves (Should get away with this on the insurance side). I dont drive like a chimp but have noticed serious brake fade on the vr and the pedal just doesnt feel as solid as my old 16v did.

I am due a brake fluid change so ill maybe get goodridge hoses at the same time as well, anyone know if its the same hoses for the 288mm setup? as I dont want to put them on the car now then find I need different ones in a month or 2.

The flexi hoses are different, so if you want to buy braided hoses, wait until you have the new brakes.

If you're getting the stock brakes to fade in normal use it suggests that the fluid is very, very old...

Cheers Mike, :thumbleft: ill decide what to do once I know the exact condition of the brakes ive got.

I agree with Mike on the standard discs etc, although I find pagid fast road pads are better than VAG pads. I've got pagid grooved discs and fast road pads on mine at the moment. I wouldn't say there is a marked improvement over plain OE discs but they do a good enough job for my needs.

What is the benefit of 288 MK3 brakes? Bigger caliper pistons? I wouldn't have thought an extra 8mm of leverage would make much difference?

I'd ideally like the Brembo/4 motion disc combo but bigger wheels are needed. I did enquire with Speedline directly about 16 and 17" wheels the same design as the OE 15s, but they don't make them anymore, except the magnesium version, which has not been tested and approved for road use :cry:

Kev

What is the benefit of 288 MK3 brakes? Bigger caliper pistons? I wouldn't have thought an extra 8mm of leverage would make much difference?

Its not just an extra 8mm of leverage, its the amount of pad in contact with the disc that increases as well, im not sure of the figures but it is a worthwhile increase from what ive read.

I'd ideally like the Brembo/4 motion disc combo but bigger wheels are needed. I did enquire with Speedline directly about 16 and 17" wheels the same design as the OE 15s, but they don't make them anymore, except the magnesium version, which has not been tested and approved for road use :cry:

Kev

Id like the Brembos as well but dont want to alter the ride quality by changing wheels as my car drives so well at the moment.

Standard brakes work well on the standard car, if all components in the system are well maintained. If you are wanting to push the car a little harder and are therefore expecting performance beyond design spec then upgrade is the only answer. The VW part bin is well stocked these days with good upgrade parts, some of which have allready been mentioned. To avoid spending twice on the same topic, i would recommend you decide at this time what exactly you long term want from your C performance wise and invest accordingly. Before going 16VG60 i used Zimmerman drilled discs all round with EBC Greenstuff pads, to good effect. Since my mods to the engine however demand has changed in this department. On the front i use Brembo 4 pots with ATE drilled motorsport rotors mounted on alloy bells(to reduce unsprung weight). On the rear i have developed my own hubs to carry the G60 front Zimmerman discs working with Audi TT rear calipers. Braided brake hoses compliment the system along with ATE blue Racing fluid. Braking is positive and progressive and well matched to the cars performance.

i too have the brembos which is a fantastic conv for £350 proberly the best imho !! i would be intrested in your rear brakes though what is the price of these please ? and what is the delivery time on these items please?

many thanks Q..

The 5 stud kit is from the tt I think.

Anybody know anything about the 2 pot audi calipers that work with the standard vr disks?

Forcefed, the kit is comprised of all new parts ie Alloy TT calipers and carriers, pads, hub units with bearings, discs, adapter plates, brake lines and fixings. KIt Cost is £800. This can be supplied for 4 and 5 stud wheels.

Dazzy my front conversion kit as detailed earlier can also be specified for 4 or 5 stud wheels. The front setup is tailor made not extracted from another car in the range.

ok i can get all the parts needed from vag as i have connections in the dealers. how much to supply me with the bits i need that are custom to PDM ...guess i would just need the lines/ fixings / adapter plates.. and mabee do it a little bit cheaper than £800..

Forcefed, conversion comes as a package and that way i know it will work and come together. None of the parts are "PDM" as this no longer exists, and this system was developed as a result of my need on my 16VG60. This kit took a while to develope so perhaps you might forgive me wanting to market it for a small return in lieu of this endeavor.