Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

H rated tyres

I was wondering, if I was to go for an H rated tyre (as oppose to V or Z or whatever), which one is the best to go for?

I want to try out a theory, hence the H rated.

Thanks in advance

H is up to 120mph isn't it?

Most H rateds that I've seen tend to be low budget orientated, and therefore not especially good in the wet....but if it's for an experiment, go for it!

According to BlackCircles.com H is rated up to 130mph

N - 87

P - 93

Q - 99

R - 106

S - 112

T - 118

U - 124

H - 130

V - 149

Z - 149

W - 168

Y - 186

Seems odd Z isnt the highest rated, but I'm sure there's some reason.

Z pre-dates V, W and Y.

V, W and Y were brought in because tyre manufacturers were suddenly being asked for road tyres that were rated HIGHER than 150 mph, and they'd already used "Z".

This fact brought to us from the same school of thought that said "surely 640k is more than enough for anyone?" and "surely two digits is more than enough to represent the date?".

I believe Z is "150+" anyway.

yup, V was upto 149, Z was 149+ but it was never specified how much + which is why V,W, and Y were brought in... 8)

Hmm, I wonder why that is..... Corrados don't use H rated tyres :roll:

Buy them at your own risk and tell us the outcome.

Well, I don't plan on going above 130mph, heck, I dont plan on even reaching 120mph so I'll be safe with H rated even if VW dont suggest using them.

No ideas of which ones to go for at all??

Mytyres are showing the Bridgestone Potenza RE720 in H rated 205/50/15 mate. If that's true, that is a brilliant tyre.....but the RE720 was ceased a few months ago...but they may have stocks of H rated left though.

Go for it.... £50 each by the way....

£50 is better than I expected anyway, sounds good... now to only quickly wear out the remaining tread on my Avon ZV3s.... :D

Thanks kevhaywire

ZV3s are quite soft IIRC, so shouldn't take much abuse to scrub them off!

EDIT: If you're not planning on exceeding 120 mph, why not drop a 3.94 final drive into your gearbox and get some crazy acceleration?!! :twisted: Top end will be about 128 mph, but will be insane through the gears!

Well, I still want to have the option of being able to go above 120mph ya know, especially if my theory is proved wrong and I go back to z rated tyres.

But if I stick to the H rated tyres, I will definitely consider that choice, thanks. Now, how would I go about getting that done? DOnt suggest doing it myself cos I wouldnt have a clue :p

Your help is greatly appreciated btw, thanks :)

Dr Forinor, call Vince at stealth and he'll sort it for you (although it's not exactly a cheap job... :| )

Please bare in mind that sticking H rated tryes on a VR6 or G60 (maybe all Corrados) could invalidate your insurance!
Insuranve will need to be informed of any tyre changes that alter the speed rating or are a different size to the originals.

I didn't know that changing the speed rating will affect the insurance, damn, thanks a lot for telling me, I'll get that checked out. Phew, thank you VERY much for pointing that out.

The speed rating is for a constant speed tho. So it is not not critical as the C will not do much more than 140 ish.

G

Car fails the MOT if a sharp-eyed tester notes that the tyres are not correctly rated...

Oh feck.... I think my theory will remain a theory then, there's no way I can afford to have 2 sets of tyres and switch between the 2 every time a MOT has to be done, bummer.

It's just aswell I posted here, thanks for all the help guys.