Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Tell me more about Honda Prelude 2.2 VTECs..

Other than I'm on the wrong forum..

I'm thinking this might fit the bill for a while. I've put my plans of S2000 ownership on the backburner until Autumn. I need a car with a boot as well to put kite surfing gear in.

I'm after a reliable mile mucher than also excites and I've allways quite liked them.

Anyone here owned one? How do they compare to a VR6 ownership.

I read a review of these while waiting fo my chinese a few weeks ago (why can't these places have up to date mags :roll: ) apparently very good and 'the only real rival to the Corrado VR6' they are also very quick. I like them 8)

It was my alternative choice to a Corrado VR6 when shopping for cars just over 3 years ago. They always got good write ups in any of the car mags coupe tests, being almost as good as a VR6, but alway losing out slightly on steering feel.

In the end I went for a Corrado because most of the Prelude VTECs in my area were automatic grey imports with tinted windows, over-sized novelty spoilers, and massive exhausts. To top it off my mate at work had a K plate one that all the 4WS, clutch and ECUs packed up at the same time. That put me off! Cost him £2500 to fix a £3500 car!

I still quite like them though.....

Ady

PS And I burned someone off in a new one, so I'm sticking with the VR6

yeah..not a bad choice if you can find a decent one with manual box.

vr6 performance for 16v money. was my 2nd choice to a rado.. but glad i made the right decision!

From what I remember of my mate's 2.2 Prelude it wasn't anywhere near VR6 performance. To be fair it was, in fact, rather dull. It was a silver car with a red leather interior too. Not nice!

My old boss had a 2.2i VTEC Prelude (on a J plate I think, import jobbie) and whilst it was a nice motor I don't remeber being particularly terrified when he took me out in it to show me what it was capable of. The sound of a screechy 4 pot being ragged to death has never been particularly enjoyable to me either, so I guess I was never going to get very enthusiastic about the VTEC power plant.

Certainly never gave him any trouble or any large bills in the time he owned it though, thats for sure! :)

I read a review of these while waiting fo my chinese a few weeks ago (why can't these places have up to date mags :roll: ) apparently very good and 'the only real rival to the Corrado VR6' they are also very quick. I like them 8)

I think you'll find a fiat coupe 20VT a good rival to the corrado mate :roll:

If you want a sports coupe type of thing that will be reliable with little expenditure, the Prelude is your car, or maybe an S14 or S14A 200SX (check out the one for sale in the Ebay and Misc bit!). You could get yourself a nice late 2.2 VTI Lude with all the toys for well under £5K.

To top it off my mate at work had a K plate one that all the 4WS, clutch and ECUs packed up at the same time.

Yep, horror stories of the complicated 4WS system breaking put me off too. Apparently it offers little to the driver in terms of handling and feel anyway, so the recommendation is the rarer non-4WS if you can find one.

I think you'll find a fiat coupe 20VT a good rival to the corrado mate

er- yeah I know that thanks- just quoting what the magazine said (hence the quotation marks :p )

If you want a sports coupe type of thing that will be reliable with little expenditure, the Prelude is your car, or maybe an S14 or S14A 200SX (check out the one for sale in the Ebay and Misc bit!). You could get yourself a nice late 2.2 VTI Lude with all the toys for well under £5K.

Andy - your on my wavelength. This car is really just a stopgap for a while. The way I see it it won't cost much to run and won't lose a lot of cash while I'm saving for an S2000.

I have to admit the interiors look dull as dishwater but as long as it goes well enough this isn't a big worry. I'm not looking for VR6 performance just enough to keep things interesting.

I was considering a 200SX. I used to like them but only the newer shape models. However I think thats more of a balls out performance car that I'm just not interested in at the moment. I used to have a Sunny GTiR and that was rapid but quite unrefined and used to do 22mpg no matter how you drove it :(

A mate at the gym has just bought a K plate 2.2 Prelude dynoed at 270 bhp at the flywheel and it still doesnt feel that fast! 0-60 comes up in 6.5 which seems a bit odd when its putting down that sort of power - oh and I've also heard the horror stories about the 4WS...tried to put him off it but it didnt work..still he goes through cars really quickly so he probably wont have it long enough to break it!

Lots of power but not much torque.....a VTEC 'characteristic'.

It's torque that throws you into the seat, not power.....

Rawhide, if you go for a later one with full Honda history, you'll be fine. In Parker's Price Guide the Lude is the no 1 second hand car for reliability. 'Nuff said.

There is a later 2.2 VTI around the corner from me in black- really nice car. Make sure you get a manual though- had to borrow my mate's tiptronic Accord for a couple of days, and I couldn't stand it all the time.

I've had 2 Civic VTI's and apart from regular servicing, never had to spend a penny. Preferred the 1.8 'cos it's a lot more torquey (more than the 2.0 16v C) than the 1.6. Don't think you'd find lack of torque too much of a prob in the 2.2.

Loads on Autotrader at the mo- although most are tiptronic autos.

There's a beautiful black v-reg Civic Coupe VTI for £4250 too. Lovely mota!

couple of mates had em,.... it was modded (just the engine) and it was pretty fast, but the steering feel was too light, and does not give much confidence around fast bends... but the reliability is excellent though

i was leaning toward a Prelude before I bought my 16v. I think I made the right decision, although I did miss out on a low mileage S reg, manual in met black that looked well nice.

In hindsight the design of latest prelude (square lights) hasnt aged well IMO.

I think everyone is forgetting the Fiat Coupe 20VT, even the 16VT would give a VR6 a run for its money, and the 20VT would im afraid anihalate a VR imho... Although with the Fiat servicing is a bugger as its an engine out job to get the cam chains replaced, not to mention stories of new turbo's and the legendary reliability issues with Fiat group gearbox's, i have had two gearbox's in my Alfa 145 and its only done 65k!! Lovely motors though the coupe..

Rust Bucket 20VT - I'm sorry but this is a forum and apparently I can voice my opinion - they actually upset me they are so ugly!

Heap of ball crud!!!

Maybe they are marginally quicker than a VR in a straight line - so is a pizza delivery bike probably

Thats not what a VR is for, a VR is to blast around the country roads and cruize on the motorways, it'll kick alot of arses (in this case rusty fiat ones) around any twisty roads which is the only fun place to drive these days. It makes a proper noise, looks gorgeous and is an infinitely greater piece of machinery then any Fiat.

I friggin hate fiat coupe's, they've been axed in the side, some chaved boy racer style petrol cap thing nearly on the roof aaaaaah!!!

I'm sorry but they really upset me and I haven't done much at work today and I have taken it out on you, sorry, but I do feel better now, so thank you

Good VRs put out closer to, or over 200bhp and are 60Kg lighter than the Fiat, so it's a closer match than you think....they certainly don't 'annihilate' VR6s in a straight line. Standard 20VTs don't at least.

But look at the specs though, 5 cylinder, 20V, turbo, 220bhp, LSD, brembo 4 pots, 16s..... versus 6 cyl, 12V, 190 bhp, open diff, cr@p brakes, 15s...... they're completely different cars.

Compare apples with apples....

I haven't done much at work today and I have taken it out on you, sorry, but I do feel better now, so thank you

:lol:

And....relax....

Bangle made it to the big time axing the FIAT arches.... I wish I'd learned the art of slashing properly in my art lessons, and maybe I could be rich like him now....

depends what kind of school you went to, in my art class 'slashing' was par for the course, normally in the teachers coffee