Sign in to follow this  
Gaz154

Brakes and pads

I used a flat bar to wind mine in after a lot of head scratching? that was before i found any corrado forums for advice :D

On a different note can you bolt on the later alloy MK4 golf callipers? are they any better? as my rears weren't 100% on the rollers for MOT.

cheers guy

PS I have Pagid pads as well and love them, they are VERY grippy. Of course I have only had my Corrado for 5 weeks so I haven't tried any other brands but damn... it stops fast.

Skye

VR Brake disk and pad change easy... although the retaining screws in front discs can be buggers to get out! :mad:

Otherwise front is very simple....

Rear is a little harder as the disc has the bearings integrated into it and you also need to swop over the ABS rings I think.... Im doing the rears myself in next couple of days - already done front but dont expect any problems at all.

On the rear you will need a tool to wind the pistons back into the caliper and they 'rotate' back into caliper rather than push like fronts - this is to do with the handbrake setup...

Cheers

Scott

On rear discks, seam to remember you need a allan key to remove the calliper housing, mine was rusted round so grinding it of was the alternative, have left them for now, this is if you want the rear discks of.

I went down to the local fastener supply with one of the front disc retaining screws (which was so stripped I had to cut a slot in the head with a dremel to get it out) and got stainless steel replacements with big philips heads for about 30c each. And used copper anti-seize on the threads when I installed them. If you've got the time I think it will make future disc changes easier.

Not really. Pretty straightforward except when it came to putting the break fluid back in! I took it to the garage in the end and they did the brake fluid change for £20.

Most of the problems I had were to do with suspension and as I was replacing the front brake lines as well that was a bit tricky. Managed to break one of the fixed lines but got another one made up by a local pipe firm. These problems were mostly hard to remove fixings such as nuts and bolts but if you have a breaker bar you should be alright :D

Next job is rear calipers (they are completely shot away but can wait for now), rear braided hoses and axle bushes. I'm told that's an axle out job which is not fun. Gotta do some more reading before I do that!