Sign in to follow this  
Gaz154

Brakes and pads

Just bought a 93 vr6 and i want to change the disks and pads all round

as their pretty worn u guys got any suggestions what best to go for

i would go zinnermann drilled discs and pagid fast road pads for a good value/quailty brake set up

if you want to spend lots more there is allways the brembo 4 pot option ? :lol:

I agree with darren on this one. Got this set up for my G60 and apart from the brake dust that comes off by the bucketload (well, lots) I have no complaints. First real test for them was the way to kames and the twisty roads had me hammering them on late and no worries.

First real test for them was the way to kames and the twisty roads had me hammering them on late and no worries.

Lies, I was worried I was going to go into the back of you :lol: , brakes are next on my list.

I got mine from Bedrock Veedubs for £175. They are in Motherwell and will fit them for a bit extra too. Don't know if ones for the VR will cost more or not.

The discs and pads are cheap as chips from German and Sweedish.

I use this vey set up, I am definitely going to change the sequence for Tarox dics and a good pad. The pagid setup releases far too much break dust and they squeek even after I had them copper greased and filed, they just build up quickly.

I suppose thats a good sign, it means you are working the pads, but the daddies to have are the kevelar pads, minimal break dust and a much better composite for heat. I have no idea how much they are, probably a lot, but brakes could save your bacon!

I don't like drilled rotors personally, I don't believe they offer any performance benefit and they do introduce the possibility of hairline stress cracks around the drill sites, which under heavy braking (track use) can go kabooooooom

Originally they were drilled to allow gas to escape that was released when the brake pad compound heated up but modern pads don't release gas....

Skye

don't like drilled rotors personally, I don't believe they offer any performance benefit and they do introduce the possibility of hairline stress cracks around the drill sites, which under heavy braking (track use) can go kabooooooom

Agreed. My last visit to VW, they commented on my ATE Powerdiscs (which are grooved) and they made comments about hairline fractures on drilled discs on Audi's... and the result. :shock:

I'll stick with grooved, thanks! :D

Originally they were drilled to allow gas to escape that was released when the brake pad compound heated up but modern pads don't release gas....

Skye

Yes but the holes help to dissipate heat away from the disc surface.

They may increase surface area but they reduce the amount of material available to "soak up" the heat at the same time. Which is better? I'm not sure. But I don't like cracked rotors. THere are some expensive rotors that have cast holes, but they are rare.

Skye

Porsche discs are drilled and they are the best brakes in the world. I prefer grooves myself, to de-glaze the pads but there is no real braking strength improvement with grooves, they just throw the hot gases off the disc and de-glaze as already mentioned.

Braking strength is only ever going to be as good as the chassis holding the parts, something else Porsche have perfected, so make sure all your wishbone bushes are tip top. Same applies to dampers.

Kev

Hey Rams nice C. I live in Surrey Road Bournemouth but I don't seem to recall seeing you around.

Got any larger pics?

I've also just fitted 288mm ATE groved discs to my VR. There ain't much room left under my 15s now!!

Hopefully getting soom 17s soon though :)

Cheers,

Phil

PhilsLadyC, Hi there!

I live in Charminster and always around that neck of teh woods or Bournemouth.

What is the colour, reg of you car?

I am going to be doing the brembo discs I think, or maybe Tarox, not sure yet.

I've also just fitted 288mm ATE groved discs to my VR. There ain't much room left under my 15s now!!

Was that the late golf vr6 setup then? Notice a decent improvement?

Interested in this myself as I want better brakes with the standard speedlines.

That's right, they are still bedding in at the moment so can't say as I notice an improvement so far but I'll let you know once I've done a few hundred miles.

how easy is it to replace the disks and pads ur self

did it myself on my old rover was a piece of piss with a haynes manual for guidance

is the vr a problem? anything jump up and bite ur ass if u haven't done it before?

how easy is it to replace the disks and pads ur self

did it myself on my old rover was a piece of p*** with a haynes manual for guidance

is the vr a problem? anything jump up and bite ur ass if u haven't done it before?

nip past your local VW dealer and order some caliper bolts as you will more than likely need them too..............and the rear pads......you'll find the piston "screws" in rather than pushes you can get a tool for doing this to save you hassle

have alook at this thread for further details too:- http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewto ... sc&start=0

also if you are replacing the rear discs you are as well replacing the rear wheel bearings and/or the abs rings

jus changed pads and disks and pads jus wont stop bloody sqeeking even rubbed them down couple of times and copper greased them

See attached for how to change front pads. To change the disk as well I think its just a case of 1 retaining screw and it will come off. (With the caliper out the way obviously.)

When the new disk goes on make sure the hub face and the disk are perfectly clean.

where do i pick up one of the winder things for the back brake pistion

i think most good tool-shops have them or can get them