Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Machine polish.

Hi Guys, been round to the local sprayers/body pepairs place (good reputable company)....they say my raddo will come up lovely with a machine polish......£80 mind..anybody else had it done ? wondered if its worth the money ? cheers chris.

I had it done on my last C and it made the paint look like new! :shock:

It's only really worth doing if you've got swirls and light surface scratches though. If the paint is good otherwise then just spend £15 on a clay-bar and spend an evening in, you'll be amazed at what it does.

I looked into this before i got my old 16v resprayed. Its (as i understand it) like an industrial t-cut treatment of sorts and the results can be very very good especially given the £80 charge, however I wasnt convinced the shine would last very long, like t-cut.

It lasted pretty well on mine, they basically remove the top layer of the laquer on the car, so it takes it back to being as-new. So in thoery it should last as long as new paint does. The only problem is, they're actually removing a layer of your paint :?

well to my mind thats what t-cut does, this way just means it gets a little deeper and gets a polish at the same time. bearing in mind my valver was 'flash pink' and had been t-cut more times than I care to imagine by the previous owner, I think he thought it was some sort of wax.

No they're not, not really. They're smearing around the top layer of paint. Injudicious use of T-cut can be problematic because you might smear the paint AWAY from a particular area, but there's only a tiny amount is actually removed (and ends up on the buffing pad).

The biggest issue is being careful over raised areas (like the bonnet bulge) - it's easy to wind up buffing all the paint off them if you're not careful.

Aye. If it were me, I'd try a clay bar first. They're significantly cheaper and don't actually remove any paint. If that doesn't have you drooling over your paintwork, then take it in for a good bit of buffing action ;)

Oh and the clay bars come with pretty-smelling spray too :lol:

You know what dink, i will do just that......i'll give the clay bar a blast first. Seen some mothers Kits on flebay for £23 free delivery,that good ? ....cheers chris.

Yeah, I had a Meguiar's one last time and it did a top job, but talking to a few people apparenty the Mothers stuff is the daddy...

the quick deatiler u get with the meguiars one is also shit hot...really cleans the car well, get rid of waterspots and polishes up really well afterwards too

isnt swissol stuff meant to be the best but costs 4 times as much!!!

I'm not sure about clay bars, but certainly Swissol or Zymol wax are supposed to rule the roost.

I've got some P21S wax which is also supposed to be extremely good, but due to German efficiency, it does actually smell like car wax rather than your gran's draw liners.

Blu Tak makes just as good a clay bar as any (if not better) and it's a lot cheaper....and you don't have to do the whole car with an inch square block, siezing your knuckles up in the process.

As for waxes etc..... it's kind of like oils and tyres....they all do the same job but Bob says X is best, Brian says Y is best and Berty says Z is best.....so you just have to pick one you like the smell of and use that!

Oooh, I hadn't realised Blu Tak works too...tres interesting!

And yup, excellent point on waxes. I just picked the cheapest of the expensive ones. Kinda regretting the lack of pretty smelliness tho :(

I had my Black 'c' machine polished by a good friend of mine for fack all...and i have to say, it looked absolutly stunning after.....it took him about 2 hours-ish, takng the cutting compound into account i would say that £80 is'nt too bad...but if you're gonna do it make sure you dont wait to long or winter will be apon us!!!.

Yup, I would say if you are going to go for the machine job, make sure you get some good quality carnuba wax and stick a load of that on there straight away to protect the paint and keep it looking spanky.

Oooh, I hadn't realised Blu Tak works too...tres interesting!

And yup, excellent point on waxes. I just picked the cheapest of the expensive ones. Kinda regretting the lack of pretty smelliness tho :(

Aye....I tried it out of curiousity because I had a packet of it next to my tub of Swissol clay on the shelf..... they felt suspiciously similar in texture, but the claybar was more plasticky.... so gave it a whirl anyway and the Tak of Blu picked up more crud than the swissol clay did :lol:

Just so long as you lube the car with plenty of water and a bit of bodywash, either works well.... my mate did his scoob dry and wondered why it took him all day and kept grabbing....LOL!

LOL eejit.

Yeah, the clay bar kits usually come with that detailer spray stuff. I've got some of that kicking about still, so I might try attacking the Golf with that and some Blu-Tak before I flog it.

Although, TBH it was cleaned pretty damned thoroughly before I bought it, so it probably doesn't need it.

Oh and Kev, did you get my PM mate? :?

Fair Dinkum, yeah I did get your PM mate, sorry. I'm slack when it comes to replying to those..... think of work inbox/intray and you get the idea!

I'll give you a bell later tonight as Mr Wilbury would like involve himself.....

Flog the Golf?! Does this mean you have a 'rado now...?!

:lol: Easy now, not yet. I've got a couple lined up to go look at tho...

Pardon me for being thick...but whats a clay bar? How does it work? Oh, and blu tack??????? ( I know what it is smart arse!!! :-))

:iamwithstupid:

yeah...what the hell?.....putting clay or smurf shat on my car has never been something that has crossed my mind...