Sign in to follow this  
GRANDY

Schrick mods

Hi guys,

I've resently bought a Schrick VGI and have got some Schrick 268 cams on order. What other mods will be required if any to give me the best results. any idea how much im looking at? Which is the best place in the north west to get the work done?

If it's a coilpack VR, replace the cam sensor trigger wheel aswell as they usually crack when you take the old cams out.

You can also add a flowed throttle body and a rechip will be required.

In fact whilst we're asking questions.

- What is a lambda sensor?

- When we refer to 'on throttle bodies' what are they/what do they do, ive seen the pics but it looks like they go straight in to the inlet surely would you not end up with a whole load of crap in the cylinders with out any filter?

OK, in order:

Flowed = abbreviation for Gas flowed = machining the item so that it allows the gas travelling through it to have as smooth a path through as possible. This can include "knife edging" where any obstacles in the flow are machined to a point/sharp edge and polishing where the walls of the item are polished to remove any roughness which can increase turbulence and slow down/impede the flow of the gas.

Ported = opening up the airways so that they are as large as possible allowing the gas to flow through with less resistance. This is normally done before an item is flowed and polished. Sometimes also known as "gasket matching" as the items are normally opened up to the largest size that the standard gasket will allow.

Lambda sensor = a sensor which lives in the exhaust system before the catalytic convertor. The Lambda sensor detects the level of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gasses and gives the ECU a varible signal to allow it to calculate if the engine is running lean (no fuel in the exhaust gas) or rich (too much fuel in the exhaust gas) so it can adjust the mixture and ensure that the car runs as efficiently as possible.

Throttle bodies = instead of having a single throttle body feeding all of the cylinders as on a standard engine, there's a throttle body per cylinder with an injector per cylinder too... this can allow a LOT more air into the cylinders which can allow a lot more power to be produced. Most photos don't show them fitted with filters so the owners can show them off... normally a large filter is fitted over the top of all of the bodies, or a "sock" filter is fitted over each body to filter the air... 8)

TB's themselves are not super expensive although I think that the management required and the rolling road set-up time puts them in similar price territory to forced induction.

I would also look into getting new lifters and some heavy duty valve springs. You might as well replace those if the motors opened up.

OK, in order:

Flowed = abbreviation for Gas flowed = machining the item so that it allows the gas travelling through it to have as smooth a path through as possible. This can include "knife edging" where any obstacles in the flow are machined to a point/sharp edge and polishing where the walls of the item are polished to remove any roughness which can increase turbulence and slow down/impede the flow of the gas.

Ported = opening up the airways so that they are as large as possible allowing the gas to flow through with less resistance. This is normally done before an item is flowed and polished. Sometimes also known as "gasket matching" as the items are normally opened up to the largest size that the standard gasket will allow.

Lambda sensor = a sensor which lives in the exhaust system before the catalytic convertor. The Lambda sensor detects the level of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gasses and gives the ECU a varible signal to allow it to calculate if the engine is running lean (no fuel in the exhaust gas) or rich (too much fuel in the exhaust gas) so it can adjust the mixture and ensure that the car runs as efficiently as possible.

Throttle bodies = instead of having a single throttle body feeding all of the cylinders as on a standard engine, there's a throttle body per cylinder with an injector per cylinder too... this can allow a LOT more air into the cylinders which can allow a lot more power to be produced. Most photos don't show them fitted with filters so the owners can show them off... normally a large filter is fitted over the top of all of the bodies, or a "sock" filter is fitted over each body to filter the air... 8)

how useful, informative, and well explained was that!!!....nice one 8)

how useful, informative, and well explained was that!!!....nice one 8)

Meh... I was bored, knew what the info was and Madjackal asked nicely... 8) :lol:

Glad it's helped some people understand a few more bits... :) 8)

Ahh, yes, the trigger wheel...I believe mine is broken, as Im pretty sure im still throwing a cam sensor code, but I have a new sensor in there. Im reluctant to take my valve cover off though.

Something you might also want to consider is doing some thermal management on the Schrick. One member from VWvortex got some very amazing results with the following work.

1) Ceramic Coating the underside (valve cover side)

2) Heat-emmisive coating the top

3) air-flow aid on the inside of the manifold.

I will find the thread, but if I recall correctly, he made a max of 20hp and 40tq to the WHEELS over stock. This was combined with 268cams I believe.