24V Renshaw

VR6 Solid front mount

Well following a test drive of the 24v install with old VR mounts I decided the standard VR6 mounts are just wayyyyy to soft and having looked at the prices of "uprated" mounts I decided to look at making a solid one. Just so happened that Andy Brookes (of this forum) mentioned that he had a solid plastic one made. So I had a chat with the machine shop today at work and had my own billet Aluminium mount made up. These bits of ali replace the soft squigy rubber bits and will (if the G60 version is anything to go by) transform the transfer of power. I also have some 1/4" rubber sheet to pack it out allowing for a tiny bit of vibration damping as well as taking up any slack.

These are the constituant parts.....

Will let you all know how well it works and may be in a position to produce and sell them as kits for a lot less than the £140 mounts you can buy.

Jay

Agreed, anything makes a difference over the swiss cheesed OE mounts. If you really want to be hardcore about this and REALLY keep that motor an intergral part of the car, rather than a dead mass.....fit a VF or VT rear mount, solid rubber gearbox mount and powerflex (yellow, 60 shure) front crossmember bushes. And it's refined too.

Throw the car into the corner with that lot and you really won't feel all that weight over the front wheels.

In that case the rear mount is now the weakest link. Where do you think all the movement that the front and box mounts are resisting is now going? It's why the rear mount through bolt always bends (and sometimes shears) when using uprated fronts.

Wouldn't the solid mounts cause too much stress on the subframe? Over time and abuse would the subframe eventually crack? It would be the equvalent of welding a solid mount to the subframe. The solid mount would not have any kind of give and will not take up any vibration from the motor.

I've seen some G60 subframes crack due to the solid front mounts.

It dosen't seem like you've taken any shortcuts to doing your car. Why not just get the VF mounts...instead of risking messing up your car?

just received a solid front mount (from cazzaVR - thanks ;)) and as Renshaw has suggested, would it be better to sandwich a layer of rubber between the top & bottom mounting points? I have a 10mm piece, about 50 Shore hardness