Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

avo coilovers

i think the mk3 ones are,but there again a lad i know has mk2 golf struts etc on his mk3,while were on the subject whats everybodies opinions on avo coilovers,so far all ive heard is bad comments

please go for the fk's at the same money they are miles in front of the avo's honest....

please go for the fk's at the same money they are miles in front of the avo's honest....

or save up a bit more and get some Koni coil-overs :lol: :wink: ............but if you are paying £550 your as well going for the FK's(koni-dampeners)......afterall very few people complain or have anything bad to say about them.........if your hearing all bad comments about the AVO's why consider buying them?....one thing to bear in mind too is the aftersales service/support....thats why i also went for my Koni's as i heard they have a real good back-up even if the kit has been on a car for a while

i've gone for avo's on mine, i had heard the rumours about the coilovers.

I rang them direct told them what i had heard and explained it all to me, they seemed very helpfull about there product, it may be a bit hard but with the ammount of ice i have need something a bit stiffer.

They said all about the fittings etc and the warranty

Go for FK's, They are great kits. I have the Konig-sport kit and haven't regretted it once. Koni dampers. Koni lifetime warranty. but Springs set-up for each individual model of car (each car weighs differently in different places and the spring rates on the FK's are car specific) unlike the Koni's, where the MK3 Golf kit is the same as The corrado's (16v, G60 VR etc....).

If you buy Koni's you've either used them for years and are sticking to what you know, or you are just buying the name.

I've nevr heard a bad thing yet about FK's but i've heard a few grumbles about Koni's kit and was told not to bother with it by a few people.

FK dont have as good a dealer network yet which can make it difficult to get the parts but it may be alot better now, they at least have UK dealers now. FK's ad does actually show the kit for one hell of a heavy price tho, you have to shop for a good deal, Try Yaash motorsport in london for advice.

My Mate ran Avo's on his MKII Golf and it is quite stiff but i dont know how they're set. it certainly seems to suit his driving!!!! :shock: Lots of negative camber too. Its only a driver so he really needed to carry the speed round corners, and it certainly did just that!

jus my 2p

cheers

avos are fine if you drive like michael schumacher all the time, and all the roads you drive on are smooth as glass. other than that i guarantee you will be taking them iff within six months.

jim

Go for FK's, They are great kits. I have the Konig-sport kit and haven't regretted it once. Koni dampers. Koni lifetime warranty.

If you buy Koni's you've either used them for years and are sticking to what you know, or you are just buying the name.

I've nevr heard a bad thing yet about FK's but i've heard a few grumbles about Koni's kit and was told not to bother with it by a few people.

so really all you have in essence is FK springs :roll: ..........as for the koni's i bought the koni kit because i've heard a lot of good comments and reports about them and also more importantly their aftersales service is meant to be excellent.....not because i'm wanting to say i've "brand X" fitted.....don't believe me then ask jim curley at star-performance........ok you have the koni lifetime warranty(dampeners) on your FK's but if your springs were to go 3 years down the line.....ask yourself if FK will/would replace them as quick as koni have their reputation for replacing items

dont get me wrong the FK kit is good value and is pretty decent but to say that the koni kit is crap just because one kit is listed for different applications doesn't make it inferior to the FK kit.....afterall the dampeners are good enough for FK to use :wink:

im sure i seen a post on here or it could of been on the e group,recomending what to change with fitting new suspension,including part numbers and prices,i tried doing a search but it wouldnt work for me :?

dazzy - i'll send you the document over MSN if you like?

Edit: attachment added for other people.

Should be able to click on the attachment and 'save as'.

HTH

so really all you have in essence is FK springs

erm... No...

as for the koni's i bought the koni kit because i've heard a lot of good comments and reports about them

Fair enough, i heard more bad than good about them.

don't believe me then ask jim curley at star-performance

Don't need too, Jim and i spoke about it before i bought my FK's and we talked about them in length when he was fitting them saying how happy he was with the kits and how he was thinking about distributing them. Being a Koni dealer im sure he'd of been happier if i'd bought the Koni's off him anyway! :lol: Like i'd already mentioned though, is the poor aftersales service at the mo as they are still quite new on the market it think (could be wrong) In 3 years time when my spring is inevitably going to break it may be a completely different story :roll: I can take the chance tho cause im quite lucky to have a works van and a GF that can drive me about.

dont get me wrong the FK kit is good value and is pretty decent but to say that the koni kit is crap just because one kit is listed for different applications doesn't make it inferior to the FK kit.....afterall the dampeners are good enough for FK to use

The FK is a great kit, i can vouch for that.

I didn't say the Koni kit was crap, id heard more bad points than good about it, so how would that make sense for me to buy them?

Is the Koni kit better because it suits more than one application?

The Koni adjustable dampers are probably the best you can get. Why make a set when you can supply the best.

But suspension needs both good springs and dampers to make the right set-up for supreme handling.

A car is better with specific spring rate settings just like its better with proper damper settings, hence why we buy fully adjustable kits, isn't it? i.e my car is set slightly higher at the rear and the dampers are set differently front to back for a perfect ride, i took a day or two to get this just right. once its set, thats it, you can fairly leave it after that. but would you buy a fully adjustable kit and not adjust it? if thats the case, you may as well buy lowering springs or a lowering kit.

I'm not knocking Koni's, some people swear by them and they are definatly better than alot of kits out there, it's just there are two sides to each story i guess. If you think the kits are going to break and cant be off the road for long, pay more for the Konis. If you want to take the chance and expect them not to break when you pay good money, then you may aswell buy the FK's.

The fact that the FK's also dont have dust caps may bother some people, but you could probably pick up a set for under 20 quid.

Put it this way.even if someone offered me The Konis for £540, i'd still pick the FK's (I prefer the BLUE!!!!! LOL :lol:)

Just my opinion tho.

so really all you have in essence is FK springs

erm... No...

as for the koni's i bought the koni kit because i've heard a lot of good comments and reports about them

Fair enough, i heard more bad than good about them.

don't believe me then ask jim curley at star-performance

Don't need too, Jim and i spoke about it before i bought my FK's and we talked about them in length when he was fitting them saying how happy he was with the kits and how he was thinking about distributing them. Being a Koni dealer im sure he'd of been happier if i'd bought the Koni's off him anyway! :lol: Like i'd already mentioned though, is the poor aftersales service at the mo as they are still quite new on the market it think (could be wrong) In 3 years time when my spring is inevitably going to break it may be a completely different story :roll: I can take the chance tho cause im quite lucky to have a works van and a GF that can drive me about.

dont get me wrong the FK kit is good value and is pretty decent but to say that the koni kit is crap just because one kit is listed for different applications doesn't make it inferior to the FK kit.....afterall the dampeners are good enough for FK to use

The FK is a great kit, i can vouch for that.

I didn't say the Koni kit was crap, id heard more bad points than good about it, so how would that make sense for me to buy them?

Is the Koni kit better because it suits more than one application?

The Koni adjustable dampers are probably the best you can get. Why make a set when you can supply the best.

But suspension needs both good springs and dampers to make the right set-up for supreme handling.

A car is better with specific spring rate settings just like its better with proper damper settings, hence why we buy fully adjustable kits, isn't it? i.e my car is set slightly higher at the rear and the dampers are set differently front to back for a perfect ride, i took a day or two to get this just right. once its set, thats it, you can fairly leave it after that. but would you buy a fully adjustable kit and not adjust it? if thats the case, you may as well buy lowering springs or a lowering kit.

I'm not knocking Koni's, some people swear by them and they are definatly better than alot of kits out there, it's just there are two sides to each story i guess. If you think the kits are going to break and cant be off the road for long, pay more for the Konis. If you want to take the chance and expect them not to break when you pay good money, then you may aswell buy the FK's.

The fact that the FK's also dont have dust caps may bother some people, but you could probably pick up a set for under 20 quid.

Put it this way.even if someone offered me The Konis for £540, i'd still pick the FK's (I prefer the BLUE!!!!! LOL :lol:)

Just my opinion tho.[/quote:fee93]

so what other FK specific part is there to the kit other than the springs then? :? ..........if its koni dampeners they use......afterall coilovers really comprise of a dampener and spring all in one :roll: .......hence why the above statement

i'm not saying that the FK kit is crap......what i am saying tho is if you part with £500+ of your hard earned you would want some sort of aftersales back up that doesn't leave your car off the road for more than a few days unlike the koni's which have an aftersales support 2nd to none and is therefore worth paying the premium for.........however if as you've said you've heard bad reports about the koni kit then why did you bother getting a kit that uses koni dampeners :?:

i'm not saying the koni kit is better cos it suits more than one application......but its certainly not compromised

one things for sure with all the road-salt they put down up here you'll be a fool for not getting and fitting dust caps/covers to yours.....if as you say you can pick them up for £20 per set

Looking at FK coilovers on a tuning website, there are two options: budget coilover set (about £340) and sports coilover set (about $640).

I assume the references to the FKs in this thread refer to the more expensive set, but at a cheaper price? If so, is the budget kit not worth bothering with?

Piers

I've got AVO top adjustables. They seem fine to me. Not to stiff at all. Not sure if this would translate to coilovers, but certainly no complaints from me. They do give you go kart handling on the stiffest setting. Can't be that bad, the other half doesn't complain of chest ache after a long drive!!!!!!!!!

if its koni dampeners they use......afterall coilovers really comprise of a dampener and spring all in one

And of course you cant take the spring away from the damper at all.... :roll: Welded on are they?

however if as you've said you've heard bad reports about the koni kit then why did you bother getting a kit that uses koni dampeners

Jesus! your obsessed with these dampers aren't you! :shock: If someone comes along and solves said problem, then thats me happy......:wink:

Corrado31,

As for the Budget FK's, im not sure about them, i think its just a case that they are only height adjustable and not fully. They also do set kits too i think :D

if its koni dampeners they use......afterall coilovers really comprise of a dampener and spring all in one

And of course you cant take the spring away from the damper at all.... :roll: Welded on are they?

however if as you've said you've heard bad reports about the koni kit then why did you bother getting a kit that uses koni dampeners

Jesus! your obsessed with these dampers aren't you! :shock: If someone comes along and solves said problem, then thats me happy......:wink:

[/quote:5dc6a]

err no........but you seem to be......i'm just trying to work out your logic for saying that you heard bad reports about koni's coilover kit yet you have a FK kit that utilises koni dampeners

and where did i say that the spring is welded on :? unless you know different

:lol:

Pulls up a ring-side seat.

Which one is Laurel again?

im running supersport coilovers. they are a nice ride and handle good and are cheap.

I have just hit my first problem with um though. leaky damper at the front. i heard lots of reports on AVO for leaky dampers.

Good news is that venom said send just the damper back and with a 2 day turn around they would get me a new one.

:lol:

Pulls up a ring-side seat.

Which one is Laurel again?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ye cheeky so and so.............well i guess i'm nearer being hardy :oops: than brian but at the same time brian's a bit short of being laurel :lol: :lol: :lol:

im running supersport coilovers. they are a nice ride and handle good and are cheap.

I have just hit my first problem with um though. leaky damper at the front. i heard lots of reports on AVO for leaky dampers.

Good news is that venom said send just the damper back and with a 2 day turn around they would get me a new one.

just out of interest GazzaG60......how long did you have them on before you had the dampener leak?????